Specific Families and Genera > Cacti and Succulents

delosperma & aizoaceae

<< < (2/97) > >>

Lori S.:
I see. Thank you, Lesley!

cohan:
this spring i got a couple of Delosperma to try here: 'gold nugget' which is presumably D congestum, and D nubigenum; both locally, from mainstream garden centres;
 they 'should' be hardy here, i will be trying them probably in open rock garden, or other raised bed, both of which still need to be dug/built...lol...if it doesnt get finished this year, i will sink the pots in the ground for winter..

these are both yellow flowering species; i have seen several other offerings of hardy species (presumably to zone 3-4) at both beavercreek and wrightman's in canada; especially exciting to me was a pale pink flowered species at wrightmans; they also had a white flowered sp besides the usual yellow and purple...

Lori S.:
I have not had any success here with Delosperma cooperi, after a small number of trials.  (Perhaps I've been too cautious with it...I should give it one last go and just plant it out in the unsheltered open with the others, and see if "reverse psychology" works!)

Forgive me for showing these same ones again...
1) Delosperma aff. congestum, from seed in 2003, has been hardy here.
2)  D. basuticum, bought in 2008, came through the winter well.
3)  D. nubigenum was also bought in 2008, and wintered over well.

I bought a couple of pink-flowered ones this spring, and have planted them out in the same open area as the others, so it will be interesting to see if they survive the winter:  Delosperma sp. aff. larisiae, and Delosperma 'John Proffitt'

I moved a couple of D. congestum (from the same old batch) into a raised trough a couple of years ago, and oddly enough, they did not survive the winter there.  I think I may have planted them poorly, or at the wrong time of year.... or maybe it was just pushing the limit too far, I don't know. 

cohan:
well, lori, there seems to be some difference at least between those 3 yellows..
where did you get the pinks?
i didnt think cooperi was worth trying here..but who knows? i guess there are varying altitude collections.

fermi de Sousa:
These succulents are long-time favourites in Australia especially for covering up embankments where it's difficult to get other things to grow and even harder to mow!
here are a few in our garden from last October,
cheers
fermi

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version