We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hi from New Zealand  (Read 3499 times)

val.r

Hi from New Zealand
« on: July 01, 2009, 05:48:38 AM »
Hi, I am Val from New Zealand, I managed to obtained seed from Sweden in 2004 from the late Mr Severin Schlyter, I am delighted with the results.. here are some photos

(this is my first post, so please bear with me if its not right.. my Granddaughter is helping me)

And the flowers..

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Hi from New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 05:53:06 AM »
Beautiful, Val.  Some wonderful colours and leaf forms you received in the seed.  Congratulations.  Are they already in flower for you now?  I have I think 2 buds about to open on a couple of H. nobilis, but the rest aren't even showing the faintest signs of waking up and flowering as yet (which is probably a good thing given we still haven't had solid cold here as yet).

Thank you for the lovely pics of your treasures.  I'd be pleased to be growing any of them here myself. 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

val.r

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 06:00:39 AM »
Beautiful, Val.  Some wonderful colours and leaf forms you received in the seed.  Congratulations.  Are they already in flower for you now?  I have I think 2 buds about to open on a couple of H. nobilis, but the rest aren't even showing the faintest signs of waking up and flowering as yet (which is probably a good thing given we still haven't had solid cold here as yet).

Thank you for the lovely pics of your treasures.  I'd be pleased to be growing any of them here myself. 8)

The odd one is just showing colour, but it will be another month or so yet. It is still very cold here in New Zealand too.
Thank you for your reply..

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 08:42:10 AM »
Conratulations to the result. Really good
It is also very good that Severin's work is being continued also in your part of the world.
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

val.r

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 10:08:22 AM »
Thank you

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 10:45:28 AM »
Very nice results congratulation on great work.
Thanks for the many pictures they are very interesting.
Hope the plants give seed so that You can continue with the breeding.
All the best
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Gunilla

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 11:13:20 AM »
Hi Val,
  In my part of the world the hepatica season is over for this year and it is a real treat to look at your lovely photos  :).  Amazing variety in leaves and flowers.  Thanks for showing  :).
Gunilla   Ekeby in the south of Sweden

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 06:43:07 PM »
Hi Val and welcome to the forum, it is great that you have shared your success with us all..
Today is very hot in Scotland the last time I was this hot was when I was in NZ in February 2008.
Keep up with your posting now your grand daughter has shown you the way.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

veteran vet

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 07:04:58 PM »
A lovely set of pics, takes me back to spring again, today has been v hot, thunder, lightning...sweaty so really good to see plants that remind us of cooler conditions. Keep posting

Magnar

• Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 07:18:17 PM »
What a lovely collection of Hepaticas.  :) I live far north, so my Hepatica flowering was over only 1 month ago, but still it's great th see them again. Thank you.
Magnar in Harstad, North Norway

Magnar's Arctic Alpines and Perennials:
http://magnar.aspaker.no

Arum

• Edna's page
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 01:10:06 AM »
Welcome Val & congratulations. It is wonderful to view the results of your patience - I am excited to see these lovely colors & leaf forms. My own plants are all the 'old reliables' in various shades of blues,pinks,whites. But the splash of color they provide us with as we approach spring is a promise of the treasures yet to come. Thanks to granddaughter & good wishes for lots of seed.
Cheers Edna     
Edna Parkyn  Christchurch "The Garden City" New Zealand

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal