We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula April 2007  (Read 23565 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Primula April 2007
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 08:03:31 PM »
Interesting to see that mothers in law like them in Scotland and Germany!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 08:09:42 PM »
They have a bad taste! Everywhere ;D
Best wishes
Armin

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2007, 08:14:13 PM »
They have a bad taste!
Really? I could not eat a whole one ! ;D ::) :P

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2007, 08:22:58 PM »
Flowers are perfect for a delicious mixed "monster" salat.
I decided not to further comment on mother in laws tastes... :-X
Best wishes
Armin

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2007, 08:16:01 PM »
A few Auricula pictures from the greenhouse today.

The first flowered for the first time last year. I grew it from open pollinated Alpine Auricula seed and on first sight the shading on the petals was a bit patchy and more importantly it was a pin eyed plant, so no good for showing. I grew it on in any case and it has "plumped" up nicely with the possibility of three flowering stems this year. Another one that will look OK in the garden.

The second is a Red Self "Geronimo". The original plant was bred by Peter Ward in 1971. Until recently overtaken by a series of new Red Selfs Geronimo was a regular prize winner. My plant was given to me last April by Henry Pugh an eminent Auricula grower and breeder and I had hopes of maybe entering it in a Show this year but by 21 April it will probably be past its best.

The third is another Red Self "Trudy"this time a very dark red. The original was bred by Derek Telford in Huddersfield in the 1980's. In it's time "Trudy" has also been a prize winner.

The fourth is a very nice Gold Centred Alpine Auricula "Piers Telford" again bred by Derek Telford in 1991. It is well shaded and has a good form but for me this year has only three pips. Five are needed for showing. Maybe next year!

The fifth and final one is another Alpine Auricula "Mrs L Hearne" this time a light centred variety. It was bred by James Douglas in 1937 and is still going strong and un-viresed. Very nicely shaded petals but again for me this year short on pips.

In case anyone is interested I quote below a small part of the National Auricula and Primula Society Rules for Exhibitors:-
"Show, Alpine, Fancy, Striped and Double Auriculas and Gold- Laced Polyanthus (single stem) entries must not have less than five fully expanded pips except for the single Show Auriculas where three is the minimum. All other primulas, including Border Auriculas, are judged for effect......."

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2007, 08:27:54 PM »
'Pip' equals flower, I presume? So, what can you do to fatten them up for next year? Is there a magic food, or is it just a case of time needed?

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2007, 10:03:05 PM »
Yup, correct. I think the heat during last Summer combined with a virtually frost free Winter affected their growth, combined with my changing over from clay pots to plastic, together with the necessary modification to my compost recipe. No magic powder but lots of luck and hope to do better next year! :(
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2007, 10:59:05 AM »
David
Nice pics and plants.
I like the story behind them and Your talk about their possibillities.
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2007, 12:01:28 PM »
Wow!!  What stunning pics.  Never seen anything like most of those (well not in the flesh anyway).  Methinks you might be a bit of an auricula addict? LOL

Bring on more pics.  I'd love to see your whole setup as well.  Do you grow/display them all in one of those auricula theatres I see pics of?

I've had limited success so far with seed.  I did get 3 seedlings from seed sent to me by Anne, but nothing yet from other seed.  I am assuming that they should germinate within a few weeks or not at all?  I'm not sure exactly what I did wrong and why some pots germinated and others didn't.  Always something to learn!! <grin>

Wonderful to see the pics and I look forward to seeing more of them.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2007, 07:55:49 PM »
Wow!!  What stunning pics.  Never seen anything like most of those (well not in the flesh anyway).  Methinks you might be a bit of an auricula addict? LOL

Bring on more pics.  I'd love to see your whole setup as well.  Do you grow/display them all in one of those auricula theatres I see pics of?

I've had limited success so far with seed.  I did get 3 seedlings from seed sent to me by Anne, but nothing yet from other seed.  I am assuming that they should germinate within a few weeks or not at all?  I'm not sure exactly what I did wrong and why some pots germinated and others didn't.  Always something to learn!! <grin>

Wonderful to see the pics and I look forward to seeing more of them.

Hi Paul,

I grow about 100 Auricula plants each year of some 40 varieties, mainly Alpines and Show Selfs, but with a couple of Doubles and a few Border Auriculas thrown in. If you have read some of my previous posts you will know that most of my seed grown stuff that doesn't come up to anything like potential Show standard still gets kept and eventually gets planted out in the garden. I also grow an ever expanding range of Primulas, mainly European species and hybrids-in fact I sent you a bit of seed last year. Later on this year I will send you some Auricula seed as well.

I normally sow seed in January, top it with grit, and leave it outside open to the weather and most of what I sowed in January is through. Most of the expert Auricula breeders sow their seed fresh in June/July so that they can get new plants to a flowering stage the following March/April and then decide what to keep or chuck out.

I grow in an aluminium greenhouse (now a very cramped one!), but plants really do look the part in an Auricula Theatre, before taking them out in early May to a set of home made shelves with a perspex roof and green netting sides. I continue watering and feeding to about the end of July, and keep them on the dry side during August/early September, a little wetter in later September when it is normal to get another flush of flowers. I then aim to get them back in the greenhouse, dependant on the weather, late October/early November. Seems to work for me but I have very few plants I would rate as being up to Show standard, but, having said that the Standards laid down are quite exacting!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

johanneshoeller

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2007, 07:41:57 PM »
Primula auricula in the wild (on very dangerous rocks) and some interesting Primulas in my garden. All are my own seedlings.
Primulas on the rocks
 Primula auricula
 Primula marginata
 Primula marginata
 Primula clusiana
 Primula minima
 Prmula hirsuta
 Primula auricula hybrid

Hans
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 06:32:21 AM by johanneshoeller »
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2007, 07:46:44 PM »
As always Hans lovely pictures and lovely plants. I particularly like the two P. marginata seedlings-gorgeous
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2007, 08:25:46 PM »
A few more Auriculas from the greenhouse:-

The first a couple of shots of a nice Yellow Self called "Sharon Louise". The original plant was raised by Ken Bowser in 1991 from a "Brompton" and "Upton Belle" cross. A perfect flower with perfect form and if it had three more pips could have been a Show plant this year. I look forward to next year with this one.

Next are a couple of shots of one of my Alpine seedlings under code 09 04 07 flowering for the first time this year. This has good form, nicely shaded petals and is a strong grower. It will be past its best by the date of the next Show (21 April) otherwise I would have had a go with this in a seedling class.

Next is another Alpine a light centred one "Mandarin" excellent form, and as the flowers have only opened in the past couple of days they have not yet flattened. Again I have my usual problem here in Devon in that it will be past its best by Show date.

Lastly a couple of shots of another light centred Alpine "Cambodunam". This variety regularly wins prizes is well shaded and of excellent form. I ought to have put it in the fridge last week to retard it a bit but Mrs N would not have been best pleased!

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

johanneshoeller

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2007, 08:39:23 PM »
The P. auricula hybrid (last photo) was grown from seed of a P. auricula (first photo). I saw the same or a similar plant in the Austrian Alps (near Dachstein) at 1700m. There grow only auricula, clusiana and minima and the mountains are only for trained alpinists. Some friends mean it is a garden hybrid which was planted there. Could it be a natural hybrid?

Hans
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 07:19:24 PM by johanneshoeller »
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2007, 07:07:45 PM »
Hans it probably is a natural hybrid, P. auricula will breed with nearly all species in the Primula Auriculastrum Section.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal