We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Biarum  (Read 33961 times)

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Re: Biarum
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2009, 08:29:08 AM »
Thanks Oron. I am not wanting to be contradictory or argumentative. My point was more from a biological and botanical point of view.
I really do think that for some genera of plants the lines we impose on a genus by splitting into species, or subspecies, can be very arbitrary and artificial. As humans we have a history of scientific reductionism where we have a need to split things up exactly and put them into boxes that are clearly identifiable and separate. I don't think biology always works like this. I think Tony has done the right thing by posting as a species and giving a collection location. These plants may differ slightly in small ways, but if they are from the extremes of a range maybe this is the only reason why they differ. If there are areas where the branched staminoides are mixed with unbranched in the same population- or even in the same plant, will this not mean that naming a plant from one area as a subspecies is no longer necessary?
As growers of orchids it is always interesting to see how 'forms' from some well travelled areas are split into progressivey more and more species and subspecies, as 'revered' botanists tell us that this one differes from that one in its lip shape or length of bract. Yet in some wild populations one finds countless individuals with a whole range of shapes, colours and forms. Here I am thinking of our travels around Bulgaria, a very unbotanised country where we only have one of this and 2 of that- but the wild populations here represent a full range of forms that elsewhere have been moved into separate species. I don't want that to happen here but I also hope that genetic studies will show that some of the splitting that has occurred recently was unnecessary.
Out of interest I have blue eyes and Chris has brown eyes- I am considerably taller than he is, and less hairy- but we are quite happy to both be the same species- although bees seem more attracted to him than me.  ;)
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2009, 09:42:51 AM »
Simon,

That is so nice to you to say that Chris is sweeter than you are. ;)  Even if just under the auspices of the bees liking him more than you. ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2009, 10:25:07 AM »
Simon

I understand your point,
But think of us 'compulsive collectors and various nuts' if we didn't have all these forms, subspecies, hybrids etc., still to put our hands on... we would probably  climb the walls... ;)
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2009, 12:18:46 PM »
Oron's got a point there.  Could be cheaper for us "compulsive collectors" though, which could be a good thing. ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 12:27:35 PM »
Yes- both good points. Splitting helps people who like to collect things, find more things to collect, but it also aids people who sell things, sell more things by giving plants new names.
I like to collect based on locations- so maybe I am as bad in a way- but I like to see if there any differences myslef in plants from widely separated locations, which may represent drift or variation in a species, than obtaining a plant with slight differences which have been the reason for publishing a new paper citing a new plant name.
Crime of crimes- I then like to cross-pollinate these plants to see what happens- if anything in the following generations. This is my way of avoiding climbing the walls.  ;)
PS I think the bees prefer Chris because they get a reaction.
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2009, 05:33:46 PM »
another biarum in flower today.I think it is Biarum tenuifolium from Antequerra in Spain.The smell(stench)is quite awful and filling the greenhouse
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2009, 11:19:47 PM »
So perhaps it's as well we can't click a "smell" button. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2009, 11:35:13 PM »
Memo to self: "check where I put the pot of plants removed from the garden in the spring." These came from Corfu and flower reliably every year, but I decided to try some inside. Now where are they?
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Susan

• Shoe Pixie
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 06:43:37 AM »
Just wait! ;D

Susan
Dunedin, New Zealand

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2009, 10:24:13 AM »
Ah I see, er ............ smell! ::)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2009, 05:11:11 PM »
three more biarums in flower. The first I think is
Biarum tenuifolium ssp tenuifolium from Greece

The second I have as Biarum ohridense from near Lake Ohrid in Macedonia. This is no longer a valid name as it has gone into something else as a ssp but I cannot find the reference.

The third is Biarum tenuifolium ssp idomenaeum from Crete

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2009, 10:15:50 PM »
Very nice Tony. They all have a slight lean on. Is it towards the sun?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2009, 10:56:16 PM »
no the spathe curls backwards as it develops and so they appear to lean.

The last time the sun came out was last saturday,it has rained every day apart from then for three weeks!

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2009, 11:41:49 PM »
Oh God, how can you live in a climate like that? ???

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2009, 08:13:14 AM »
Lovely Biarums Chris, Tony, et al. Thanks for posting your interesting images.

Talking about naming for naming's sake - there are still nurseries about (reputable ones too!) selling seeds / plants with names that were last changed in the early 20th century! Taking "Imitaria muirii" (a succulent plant) for example, it has been known as Gibbaeum nebrownii since 1937 and yet is still being marketed under the old name of Imitaria. I don't think this is a case of ignorance - it is a case of selling more seed / plants  >:(
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal