We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Beth Chatto Garden 14 June  (Read 3471 times)

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
Re: Beth Chatto Garden 14 June
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 08:29:56 PM »
Tony I know the feeling, I often think I should put all the labels from the dead plants in the garage on the wall as a warning to me.  Thankfully I have not yet done so ;D Like you I like the area round the ponds for the tranquility, I would love to be able to spend real time there reading, gardening, mooching around - just heaven.  The last ones take us past the garden 'proper' as I call it into an area with more huge island beds which lead to the woodland garden (which we did not enter this time).  Odd things caught my eye like the dictamnus peeping out of the shrubs.  If you come to Eastern England, this garden is a must
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 08:35:07 PM »
I think the first picture is of roots, but then I thought perhaps it was weather worn rotten trunk, whatever it looked good. We walked round the top pond and looked back to the house, here is some of the planting in this area.

Brian, What a garden - especially the 'dry part'!

Your roots near the pond are socalled 'cypress knees' of Taxodium distichum, the swamp cypress. Their function is unknown but perhaps they may help in providing oxygen to the tree (Wikipedia). The German expression is 'Atemknie' which means knees for breathing.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 08:47:00 PM »
This famous garden has often been featured in TV programmes but I can honestly say I have never had a proper "flavour" of the place from those but you, Brian,  have brought a true feeling of the garden to us, for which I am most grateful.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 10:07:44 PM »
This famous garden has often been featured in TV programmes but I can honestly say I have never had a proper "flavour" of the place from those but you, Brian,  have brought a true feeling of the garden to us, for which I am most grateful.

I absolutely agree with Maggi on that score Brian - through your photos you convey what you were thinking when you took them so they are living images of a really beautifully designed garden.  Beth Chatto wrote a book when she started the garden called 'The Green Tapestry' and you can see exactly how she has woven these ideas into her planting schemes - everything looks so effortless and sweeps from one place to another instilling a sense of calm - no sign of pests here...how does she grow hostas to that size without a hole or two  ;)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Eric Locke

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 10:13:57 PM »

Brian-- Thanks from me too.

Like many I suspect,I have purchased plants from the gardens by mail order ,but have never visited.
Must now put this on my visits list.

Eric

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2009, 10:19:05 PM »
Many thanks Gerd for putting me right, I think they look amazing.  Thank you all for your comments, but all I did was click the camera, the garden and its creator are the stars.  It was interesting as I was going round that I really was impressed with the vistas and the combinations, it was all very subtle.  Glen Chantry had a totally different effect, I was knocked out by the plants far more.  I am glad you have enjoyed the garden, perhaps one day you will see it in the 'flesh'.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2009, 04:02:43 AM »
Stunning, Brian.  Thanks for the tour.  The Taxodium "knobbly knees" (as they were first introduced to me as) are very cool aren't they?  They almost look a bit like old polished wood.  They are very cool.  Thanks for all the wonderful pictures of this garden.  You have so many fantastic gardens you can so easily visit.  :'(  Yes, I am jealous again.  :-[
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2009, 09:40:16 AM »
You are welcome Paul, as to being jealous, that's a funny thing when you grow all those amazing southern hemisphere plants which we have never heard of - it's reciprocal 8)

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2009, 10:27:36 AM »
Thanks for the hard work Brian !  ;)
A truly wonderful garden - it is now on my list of places to visit !
Thanks to this glorious forum, this list is now reaching a size that is far too long for my spare time hops...  :-\ :-\

It was a wonderful stroll Brian !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2009, 10:58:01 AM »
Great report and photographs, Brian.
It is, indeed, and excellent garden.

Many thanks, Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2009, 01:43:07 PM »
Thank you Brian for your superb photos of a great garden ,which brings back fond memories of my two visits to it and its creator. I was indeed fortunate to have been invited to stay with  Beth and Andrew for a few days in april 1991 and I visited again in june 2001 when the carpark had changed into the much talked about and now often copied Gravel Garden .
 Beth and Christo Lloyd came to Australia in 1989 for a lecture tour and stayed here .
 that tall stem of Lilium martagon with so many blooms - although it grows well enough here and selfsows - but never bears more than 25- 30 or so flowers  .

Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2009, 02:32:32 PM »
I am so pleased Otto, you are indeed fortunate - a wonderful plantsperson.  Here is a better photo of the Lilium martagon from him upstairs :)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2009, 07:08:24 AM »
Such a nice Lilium.  Striking.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal