We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bearded Iris 2007 to 2009  (Read 109092 times)

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
Bearded Iris 2007 to 2009
« on: March 30, 2007, 10:30:16 PM »
I love this little dwarf beardies, they seem to be easy in a pot or in the garden.
Iris suaveolens violacea
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 12:58:00 PM by Maggi Young »
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
Re: Bearded Iris 2007 to 2009
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 11:58:13 AM »
Now that Diane so nicely have broken into non bulbus(?) I no longer have to think where to post my bearded irises.
That would have been great with an iris headline to have all iris related things there as an alternative to a long thread with everything.

I really like the smell of these purple ones. They are almost black in bud but become deep purple in bloom.
The white ones smell as well but as much as the purple. The white is also much smaller about 40 cm (flower stem) where as the purple is 60 cm. Might be due to different soils as well. The white one is planted with the citrines in what will in the futre be a citrus grove.

I will start the picturs with a Duch iris (bulbus) that I planted outside and that cost my mother-in-law a few cracked ribbs. She fell when going out to look at it's brother.
The brother of this one has spent time with the mother-in-law during her recovery. She is now much better.
Outside they lasts for weeks while at the glassed balcony a few days. They do not smell much if any outside.

The bearded iris last for a week but have several flowers so that compensates.
I hope to show more later.

Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 11:23:01 PM »
But Joakim, your Dutch iris is BEARDLESS!   ::)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 11:53:12 PM »
Before this thread was part of the iris thread under bulb general and hence the Dutch was the excuse to post the others.
Now with the new thread the Dutch are the wronmg one :) :(
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 08:39:40 AM »
Sorry to have started this confusion by posting non-bulbous irises on the iris page under bulbs.    :-[
I didn't know we were following a strictly botanical definition of "bulb" but assumed we were following the bulb-merchants definition - anything that can be dried and sent in the post - to include all underground storage organs, (although I think it's best to restrict it to monocots or else we end up with cyclamen and corydalis)   

Now that Diane so nicely have broken into non bulbus(?) I no longer have to think where to post my bearded irises.  That would have been great with an iris headline to have all iris related things there as an alternative to a long thread with everything.
Joakim

I agree with Joakim that it would be nice to have all irises together - there will be some oncos to follow soon, we hope - and not sure where to put them?  ;)

Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 10:05:57 AM »
When I started the Iris page, under the BULB banner, I said that we'd use it for all Iris, but people seem to want to keep 'em in their "types" so perhaps I'll ask Mr Admin if we can have an Iris section under specific genera and we'll move all the Irises there! :-\
 I'll  sort something out!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 10:28:34 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 11:45:38 PM »
It's just that there are so many Maggi. Here's how I see it.

1 All irises should be in the Bulbous section as they all fit into the general definition of "Bulbs, Corms,     
   Rhizomes or Tubers" (So do Cyclamen and Corydalis of course.)

2 All irises are either Pogon (bearded) or Apogon (beardless) which makes for 2 topics for irises

3 However, while all bearded can reasonably be discussed in a single section topic (Bearded Irises),
   the beardless types could reasonably be divided into 3 (Reticulate irises, Scorpiris (Juno)
   Irises, and All other Beardless Irises). This last could contain all those which have relatively few
   species grown in rock gardens, such as the Pacific Coast species, the tuberous spp such as I decora,
   siberians such as I chrysographes, etc, etc.

But we all post things where we shouldn't which is one reason why I like to be notified of EVERYTHING, in case I miss something of interest. It's easy to delete what I don't want. It's only important to be careful about where we post, in order to make searching easy and archives reasonably useful.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 11:55:45 PM »
It's only important to be careful about where we post, in order to make searching easy and archives reasonably useful.

Good point Lesley, to which I add this: it is most important to add the names of any plants shown in a photo into the text of your post otherwise they will not be picked up by the search facility... of course, this applies to any photo subject, really, but it is VITAL if one is to be able to search for partuicular plants.

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 10:25:35 AM »
Not sure what I did, hope I'm not posting this twice!  Thanks for the tip about lime, Lesley, I'll make sure to put a bit in when I find its home.  Meanwhile, here is a picture of a very lovely iris, I was at the Hexham show on Saturday and this one won the Sandhoe Trophy, well done Darren Sleep of Carnforth.  It was so beautiful, the picture doesn't do it justice.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 04:18:45 PM »
AND add the name to the edited photo. How does everyone find an image on their own computer if there isnt a name?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 06:06:08 PM »
Lovely Iris suaveolens  violacea grown by  Darren Sleep, well done Darren ! Thanks for the pix, Chris.

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 06:43:50 PM »
mark
I use the tags on photoshop elements. You can very quickly tag them when you upload them even if you are in a hurry. At a later date (ie never for me) you can find all a particular genus and name them if you want. I never bother to name them until I am acually using the photos, mind you most of the photos are of my own plants. If I take photos of other peoples plants I try and take a photo of the label first.
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 09:32:33 PM »
Try this one in the Bearded Iris thread Chris.

I moved it here to the bearded Iris page! These blessed Iris are a flippin' pest! M
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 09:44:11 PM by Maggi Young »

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 10:55:17 AM »
Chris,

That Iris is rather beautiful.  I love the miniature types too, although don't have that one.  I have a couple of the smaller species style dwarf ones (with forms like the one in your picture) in pale blue, yellow and purple.  The purple in particular is tiny.  I have also got a couple of smaller species coming along from seed so hopefully I'll get some others in there as well.  Great to see these little types.... so often people just think of the large ones as the "bearded iris" (not that I don't like the big varieties, I have a reasonable collection of the tall beardeds) and neglect the little species.

Great stuff!!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 11:06:46 AM »
Glad you enjoyed it, I just loved it.  I have a tiny iris in bud in one of my sinks at the moment and I've completely forgotten where I got it and what its name is, so when it comes out, I'll post here to see if any of you can tell me its name.  I don't want to rummage around in the roots too much to see if I buried the label completely, especially as it is going to give me three flowers in its first year at my residence.... so I'm waiting with baited breath!
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal