We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Glen Chantry Essex  (Read 5035 times)

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
Glen Chantry Essex
« on: June 12, 2009, 11:24:29 PM »
Today we decided to visit Glen Chantry again, it is their last season of opening and they finally close on August 15th so we made the most of a beautiful sunny day to enjoy the garden.  Very different to my pictures of Snowdrop time!
Here are some, mainly general, views of the rock garden in front of the house and the group of troughs.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
Re: Glen Chantry Essex
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 11:25:46 PM »
More!

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 11:33:51 PM »
Wonderful series of images, Brian ... thanks for posting.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 11:41:26 PM »
You're welcome Cliff.  Here are some in their white garden, chicken wire statues by Peter Lethbridge.  I have more general shots of the garden and some flower/foliage combinations, but don't want to bore you.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 09:36:12 AM »
Brian,

Delighted to see your photographs of Glen Chantry. Wol spoke to our garden club last winter and the winter before with an emphasis on snowdrops on the last occasions. Mary was particularly taken by the photographs he showed of his garden - might even convince her to travel to see the garden before it is closed. It is relatively close to Beth Chatto's garden so there would be a double attraction.

Can you name or can anybody identify photograph Number 2 from the White Garden series? I have it in flower in the garden at present, grown from seed but cannot locate the label which is probably under the plant. Any help appreciated.

Great set of photographs, Brian. I really am jealous of your good fortune to be able to visit such a brilliant garden.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 09:44:48 AM »
Lovely garden Brian and a smashing set of pics, thanks for posting. I think Wol is on the programme of speakers for our local AGS Group later in the year.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 11:37:11 AM »
Brian, please post as much as you like: it is such a privilege to see this gorgeous garden.

Paddy, I think it's a white Camassia ......off to have a look at mine to check  :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 01:27:53 PM »
Maggi you have unleashed the tiger, and you will live to regret it ;D

Paddy the plant in Glen Chantry 2 is an Ornithogalum, not labelled but I think it may be pyrenaicum or magnum perhaps?

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 02:01:02 PM »
Brian, I'll take my chances with the tiger..... remember I have the fearless Lily to protect me!

Mnnn, yes, my white camassisa is  not at all like that pic, so I suppose I owe Ian a  pound then :P I wish I'd learn to stop betting with the BD!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 05:43:19 PM »
Sorry about that Maggi - of course I could be completely up the creek without a paddle ;D

Here we go then, there is a mixture of general views and combinations that took my fancy (I suppose I ought to rephrase that), planting combinations.  Roughly in the order that I took them, although there is an overlap after we paused in the do it yourself tea room for a coffee and biscuit.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 05:47:57 PM »
there's more!  I had to include the lawn edge as it is always immaculate, rain or shine, whatever time of the season...wish ours was too!

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 05:53:06 PM »
I'm told Sue gets a man in to do the lawn edges ;)  I was rather taken by the fern which was about a metre - three feet tall and full of little bobbles (like seeds or bulbils although I know it was neither).

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 06:02:39 PM »
just a few more, I hope that gives a good impression of this super garden.  Just amazing to compare some of the shots with similar views in the spring.  Everything is exceedingly well mulched and some of our number will be pleased to know that twin-scaling of over 130 snowdrops is finished 8) 8)  Great to see that Sue was doing a roaring trade in the nursery and that, although there was a coachparty in the morning - which we just missed as we knew they were going, a small coach and a large coach in the afternoon and a good twenty odd cars when we arrived, the garden was by no means crowded.  They are open every Friday and Saturday until the middle of August, first Friday of the month for the NGS, if you can get there do go - before it is too late and they have the garden all to themselves again to enjoy the fruits of their hard work and what a shining testimony to their skill and artistry.  We shall certainly miss going to see the garden although we do plan one last visit in August.  I believe they may be the garden open for the Galanthus Gala next year, so all is not lost ;)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 07:59:02 PM »
I hope the rumour of the Gala going there is true
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 08:26:27 PM »
Brian,
Just as a matter of interest will you be at the meeting of the Norfolk Group of the AGS on Wednesday 17th June - I have been invited (frogmarched  :D) into acting as a stand-in for Peter Bland who is unfortunately unwell at present. It will be a pleasure to meet you if you can summon up the enthusiasm to attend?   :D
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal