We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pricking Delphinium tricorne?  (Read 1747 times)

arisaema

Pricking Delphinium tricorne?
« on: June 10, 2009, 07:50:12 AM »
Can I prick these in their first season, or is it better just to wait till next spring? They are tap rooted, and currently have one true leaf.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Pricking Delphinium tricorne?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 09:22:43 PM »
Being summer in the north, I'd prick them out now so that they get good growth before your next winter. They should meet that with a strong tap root and come away well in the spring.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

arisaema

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 10:40:36 PM »
Thanks, Lesley! I was a bit worried it could set them back, but Ranunculaceae do seem fairly tough.

Do you have any suggestions for Corydalis caseana? It's still at the cotyledon stage, but I must have doubted it's viability cause the pot is chock full.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 11:05:33 PM »

Do you have any suggestions for Corydalis caseana? It's still at the cotyledon stage, but I must have doubted it's viability cause the pot is chock full.

It's not Corydalis caseana ssp brandegei by any chance, is it, Arisaema? Ian has just come back from Gothenburg with photos of that beauty and I am just in love with it. http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2009Jun101244637397BULB_LOG__2309.pdf

They seem to have it growing in the open there, so I expect it will stand being pricked out early..... :-\  I'll ask Ian tomorrow if he knows any more about their method with it...... he is fast asleep now!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

arisaema

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 11:14:45 PM »
It is, and a couple are yours if they ever decide to grow on ;) They were sown in 2007, have to check the label for the supplier.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 11:23:15 PM »
It is, and a couple are yours if they ever decide to grow on ;) They were sown in 2007, have to check the label for the supplier.
Oh, joy! Many thanks.... I'll keep my fingers crossed for their health and progress  ;) ;D

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 11:35:22 PM »
I'm afraid I couldn't possibly suggest anything to be done with Corydalis seedlings. I've never had any! :'(
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

arisaema

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 05:35:32 PM »
The label said "Corydalis caseana ssp. brandegei, Gunniston Co., CO, 3048m, Alplains-07".

Any imput from Ian? I peeked in the pot and they've grown sturdy tap roots, but maybe it's better to wait for the true leaves?

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 05:57:20 PM »
A word from Ian... ( just about to fall asleep again... this time watching tennis on TV!)

He says he'd worry that the tiny tap roots might suffer fatal damage by pricking out at this stage. He reckons he go for leaving them for a good while before trying  a move.... thinks a bigger tap root can take more stress than a little one. If they are very crowded  in their seed pot then he'd go for potting them on en masse to minimise disturbance. He thinks perhaps you could move them on gradually  even for a year like that . :-\
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 11:10:52 AM by Maggi Young »

arisaema

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 06:19:50 PM »
Thanks, Maggi, and thank Ian once he wakes up again! Will repot the whole clump then, and keep my fingers crossed.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal