We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cardiocrinum 2009  (Read 4895 times)

Paddy Tobin

Re: Cardiocrinum 2009
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009, 07:49:16 PM »
Lovely set of photographs, Roma. Great plant.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2009, 08:00:33 PM »
.....there was an article on Cardiocrinums in the June edition of 'The Plantsman' by Peter Cox.....
(it's only 4 pages, so could scan and email, if of interest).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 09:23:03 PM by Giles »

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2009, 09:59:57 PM »
Wow, what a great set of time lapse photos, Roma, and the Cardiocrinum flower is fabulous - it must have been wonderful to see it develop in to such a beauty  ;)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2009, 10:29:29 PM »
Just to keep the theme going, here are a few pictures taken at Logan Gardens on the 26 June. The close up of the flowers was taken on the smaller plants which were about 6 feet high.  The two tallest ones were an estimated 10 feet high.  Not much use for smelling the flowers unless you are a giant or have a stepladder!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 12:19:28 PM by TC »
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 08:51:48 AM »
I would most certainly be very grateful for any recent info on Cardiocrinum because I am still confused. This year I will have no flowering spcimen so I have no pictures.
Nice set of photos Roma. This is very helpful since the progression of the flowers seem to be part of the issue.
Question: Do you know anything about the original provenience? Himalayas or China?
Logan gardens plants: Same question?? It seems that old pictures show this trumpet form and that it is more prevalent in the western part of the area where they grow.
One point I would look for is: Are there any basal leaves on the flowering stalk?
Göte 
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 09:51:49 AM »
Gote, the article should now be in your 'home' email inbox.
Giles

gote

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2009, 01:48:55 PM »
Gote, the article should now be in your 'home' email inbox.
Giles
Indeed it is Thank you very much indeed.
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Roma

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2009, 09:31:57 PM »
Gote,
I do not know the origin of my Cardiocrinum.  I got small bulbs when I was working at the Cruickshank Garden at Aberden University.  It was growing there when I started in 1977 and was always propagated vegetatively by division of the bulbs.  I keep meaning to try it from seed but do not have a lot of space and get enough new bulbs to keep it going anyway.  There are no basal leaves.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

gote

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2009, 08:10:00 AM »
Gote,
I do not know the origin of my Cardiocrinum.  I got small bulbs when I was working at the Cruickshank Garden at Aberden University.  It was growing there when I started in 1977 and was always propagated vegetatively by division of the bulbs.  I keep meaning to try it from seed but do not have a lot of space and get enough new bulbs to keep it going anyway.  There are no basal leaves.
Thank you Roma,
That would confirm my guess that they are from the Himalayas. I think the Chinese ones are fairly recent introductions.
I have no basal leaves either on my Chinese ones.
however, some authors state that they have - i wonder wether they are mistaken or wether this is also a variable trait.
Cheers
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Alessandro.marinello

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2009, 10:01:07 PM »
how envy to you, I have tried for four years, succeed to having bulbs in spring, the beginning well, but to July they die, some council? :'(
Padova N-E Italy climate zone 8

gote

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 01:32:43 PM »
It might be too dry/warm in Italy. I would try a shaded position and make sure they have enough water.
they want very humusy soil
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2009, 03:01:39 AM »
Alessandro,

I grow them here on the south side (i.e shaded side) of the house in a fernery situation.  I grew my original one in a raised "box" with no base, so that the roots could grow down into the ground below, but the bulb itself had perfect drainage.  Just to be sure.  I have had it (or others since) growing there fine for a number of years.  They die off during winter, then reshoot in spring.  I keep the moisture up (it is a fernery situation, so other things that like moisture are in the area such as ferns etc) but I do have good drainage there for them.  I just love the leaves, even on the years they they don't flower.  I am growing up a younger replacement now, after my main one flowered out a few years ago.  Looking forward to it getting big enough to flower.

Not sure if this helps you in your climate or not, but with Göte commenting that you might be too hot and dry, I thought it was worthwhile chiming in from a hot and dry climate where I can grow them just fine.  Hopefully it is of some help? ???
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

gote

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2009, 08:07:32 AM »
Alessandro,
If Paul can grow them you can. I did not want to sound pessimistic only point out that you might need to do approximately what Paul does.
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2009, 09:00:22 AM »
Alessandro,

And they definitely flower in my climate too..... I've had 3 years where they flowered (2 single stems and one year 2 bulbs flowered).  It was only that year when the 2 flowered that I had no offsets left to grow on.  I had bought a 4 years old bulb that year anyway, so it is growing along each year.  I probably should try feeding it up a bit to get to large enough to offset and then flower.  I also have a half dozen or so seedlings coming along, but they're still pretty small as yet.  When they flower they produce HEAPS of seed, but the seeds take something like 10 years to get to flowering, so it is a loooong wait.  ;D  If there is any other information I can give you from my experiences of growing there here, let me know and I'll provide any info I can.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

vanozzi

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2009, 05:47:09 AM »
G'day--I know that cardiocrinums are propagated by seed and offsets, but somebody asked on a forum if they could also be propagated by scales, in the same manner as liliums.I don't recall any answer.
Just curious.
Regards Paul Rumkorf
Paul R
Bunbury Western Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal