We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus x ubriquense  (Read 4429 times)

Gerry Webster

Narcissus x ubriquense
« on: June 05, 2009, 03:35:18 PM »
In her new list, Rannveig Wallis ('Buried Treasure') lists a plant under this name The name is  new to me, not in Blanchard & nothing turns up on Google. It is described as looking "identical to a bright yellow N. triandrus although reputedly a hybrid". On the basis of the name, I assume it is of wild origin from the vicinity of the S. Spanish town of Ubrique but I would be interested if anyone has any further information. 
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Narcissus x ubriquense
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 04:05:35 PM »
This is as much as I know, Gerry;
× ubriquensis M.Salmon, in Monocot Nursery Plant List 2001 (parentage: N. fernandesii [as var. cordubensis] × N. triandrus [as subsp. pallidulus]) = N. × incurvicervicus
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gerry Webster

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 04:14:30 PM »
Many thanks Maggi. Rannveig's description does make it sound like what I know as N. × incurvicervicus. Odd she doesn't mention this.

Edit: I've just found Mike Salmon's 2001 plant list. His - rather expensive - plant was indeed collected near Ubrique. I presume it was expensive because, according to Rannveig, the plant is sterile.
According to the Kew checklist N. × incurvicervicus is a currently accepted name; there is no mention of N. x ubriquense (or ubriquensis).
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 04:56:01 PM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 10:03:01 PM »
Here is a picture taken at an AGS show in 2007 of a plant I have recorded as N triandrus x fernandesii.  I recall that this was a Wallis plant, they exhibited several nice narcissus that day, one was N x ubriquensis but I have no pics labelled that way :(

Gerry Webster

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 11:44:16 PM »
Thanks for the pic Tony. That is a very attractive Narcisssus. I've ordered a bulb of "N x ubriquense" from Rannveig so, hopefully, I'll eventually see it in the flesh.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 09:58:52 PM »
Here is a picture taken at an AGS show in 2007 of a plant I have recorded as N triandrus x fernandesii.  I recall that this was a Wallis plant, they exhibited several nice narcissus that day, one was N x ubriquensis but I have no pics labelled that way :(

Tony, I think this is probably the cross that they say they are registering as Narcissus 'Llaeth', featured in their new list as "Narcissus triandrus x fernandesii".
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 12:34:47 PM »
Listed in Kurt Vickery's 2012 List.

Shown as Narcissus x incurvicervicus on Daffseek

http://daffseek.org/query/query-detail.php?value1=N.%20x%20incurvicervicus&lastpage=2&which=hist4&listrow=2&
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 12:39:06 PM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gerry Webster

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 02:22:25 PM »
Thanks for the pic Tony. That is a very attractive Narcisssus. I've ordered a bulb of "N x ubriquense" from Rannveig so, hopefully, I'll eventually see it in the flesh.
I'm still waiting for a flower, though it has multiplied. I'm uncertain as to  how to grow it - as a jonquil or as a triandrus (not that I can keep the latter longer than a year!)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 02:43:49 PM »
Hi Folks, Kurt Vickery ( who points out he is not a professional botanist) (probably an advantage in my book!) has been in touch to cast a little light on the reasons for his use of the name.

" I see there is a bit of a waggle going on about N ubriqensis MS434/1 I don't have exact details to hand
but it is a natural hybrid between N cordubensis (Mike's collection of cordubensis is MS434), which  (and therefore because)  Mike S and others consider it a distinct species from fernandesii  with whatever the local form of triandrus is, I know he (and I) grow Nx incurvicervicus SS1O6 separately:  This I believe is N fernandesii x N t var cernuus"

Hope that helps!
Maggi

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gerry Webster

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 07:01:06 PM »
I'm still waiting for a flower, though it has multiplied. I'm uncertain as to  how to grow it - as a jonquil or as a triandrus (not that I can keep the latter longer than a year!)
My original single bulb has split into 3 but each of these has further split into innumerable tiny bulblets. I presume this accounts for the absence of flowers. I have some new bulbs from Kurt Vickery; it will be interesting to see how these behave.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 08:02:44 PM »
Not sure if it'll help, but this is what I have as N x incurvicervicus, from Kath Dryden.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Gerry Webster

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 08:44:30 PM »
Very attractive Anne. How do you grow these? Warm, dry summer?

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 11:25:56 PM »
Yes, Gerry, just the same as all the other narcissi.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Gerry Webster

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 10:19:59 AM »
Thanks Anne. Maybe N. x ubriquense is just 'miffy'?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal