We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Savill Gardens June 1st  (Read 2996 times)

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
Savill Gardens June 1st
« on: June 02, 2009, 03:53:35 PM »
Just back from a trip down to London in which we visited the delightful Savill Garden, part of the Crown Estate of Windsor Great Park.  The garden has the benefit of mature planting and is well looked-after, we thoroughly enjoyed our visit on a wonderful day and here are some highlights. 

The New Zealand Garden was created to house a collection of native plants given to the Queen on a state visit in 1986.  In 2006 the demolition of the old restauraunt in the Savill Gardens gave the Crown Estate an opportunity for a significant expansion of the site.
The design is by Sam Martin, a London-based New Zealander, emphasising the textural qualities of New Zealand plants, concentrating on species that are reliably hardy in the English Climate.  The garden was opened by the Duke of York in April 2007.
First some general shots of The New Zealand Garden (with the incongruous background of a mature English Garden!).  Celmisia rutlandii is one I shall have to try outside! Corokia buddleioides was one of the shrubs flowering well.  The underplanting of Acaena inermis was most effective...I shall have to find this one too.  There was lots of Libertia and many shrubs not in flower.  One of the interesting things was that the labels included the native names for the plants eg Clematis afoliata was also labelled "Hokokuku"
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Paddy Tobin

Re: Savill Gardens June 1st
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 04:38:41 PM »
Good show, Brian. Looks like a very nice place.

I grow Corokia virgata which has a very small yellow star-like flower and very small leaves, upright in habit and slow growing. Re the acaena - DON'T! It is a pernicious weed, spreading like wildfire.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 04:51:50 PM »
Re the acaena - DON'T! It is a pernicious weed, spreading like wildfire.
Thanks for the warning Paddy...don't all Acaena?  Just had a visitor so had to stop but here are the rest...
Just outside the NZ garden Cornus kousa 'Satomi' flowering its heart out.  We then made our way through the Azalea walk (all but over sadly) to the Temperate House.  The upper gangway letting me take an aerial view into a tree fern.  The Temperate House was nicely planted, here are Lilies, Geranium maderense and a Tree Fern.  There was a super Vortex fountain there too, I love these and wish we had somewhere to incorporate one into the garden.  In the Hidden Garden were many beautiful Rodgersia including R.aesulifolia 'Chocolate Wings', Meconopsis x sheldonii 'Lindholm'

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 04:55:24 PM »
Also in the hidden garden the borders were full of primulas including P. aurantiaca, P. x chunglenta and P. pulverulenta. 

I have to say this is one of the most enjoyable gardens we have visited, well worth a visit and, as its part of the Crown Estate you could also include the Valley Gardens and Virginia Water.

Eric Locke

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 05:27:25 PM »

Brian

Saville gardens are one of my favourite places to visit too.

Primulas and woodland plants are always wonderfull at Saville now and in Springtime.

I wonder if you wandered into the valley gardens in the park itself ? Rhodo"s and Azalea here are as good as I have seen anywhere, although it is getting rather late now  :'(  although  it is quite a walk from the gardens ;)

Eric

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 05:50:38 PM »
It is many years since I visited the Valley Gardens Eric and remember the fantastic display.  We were on an overnight coach trip so only had from 10.30 until 3, barely enough time to do the Saville Gardens justice!  We were struck also by how pleasant all the gardeners were (12 full time) and how weed free it was! 

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 07:25:56 PM »
Lovely set of pics Brian. This is a garden I have not been to and I must put that right.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 10:39:20 PM »
Brian, this seems one of the better places to visit, when wanting to see Primula etc. in the southern part of England.
One more garden on the list whenever travelling to GB
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 04:40:22 AM »
Beautiful.  The Primulas in particular are wonderful.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 08:16:05 AM »
Thanks for taking us to this fabulous place Brian - It is now on my list of places to visit !  ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Eric Locke

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 08:38:58 PM »
For anyone wishing to visit the Valley Gardens on a trip to Savill - a detailed map can be purchased at very little cost from the gardens shop . Footpath leads directly from the gardens car park which will save on further parking fees as the Valley Gardens car park is only a mile drive away. :)

Eric
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 08:45:11 PM by Eric Locke »

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 09:40:39 AM »
Also this might be useful

http://www.theroyallandscape.co.uk/

where there is also a map available as a download of the full site and further information

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal