We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: June 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 14946 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
June 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere
« on: June 02, 2009, 12:24:07 AM »
June is the "official" start of winter in Australia though it may take a bit longer to sink in after our torrid summer.
To continue the crocus theme we've a flowering on Crocus ochroleucus (grown from seed from Marcus Harvey) which appear the same to me as C. pulchellus except that they flower with their foliage as Otto may've mentioned earlier.
140265-0

140267-1
Here's the cluster of C. pulchellus for comparison
140269-2

And Oxalis kaajvoegensis continues to shine in the sunshine,
140271-3

cheers
fermi

Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: June 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 01:03:29 AM »
The petal shape is a little different and maybe also the shape of the yellow patches in the throat, but I'm clutching at straws there. Have to go by the leaves therefore.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Stephen Vella

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 06:13:28 AM »
Now that I have found my camera heres a Clematis florida seiboldii that I have flowering in the veranda for the first time and still throwing out more flower buds. I thought it was going to go dormant as we've already had a couple of frosts. It seems to enjoys the warmth of the day and the cold of the night down to 10c /4c and occassional 0c so far but is protected by frost.

Anyone else grow potted speciemens of Clematis in such a situation in a veranda, I guess its like a open glass house?

Cheers
Stephen Vella, Blue Mountains, Australia,zone 8.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 10:48:23 PM »
A super plant Stephen. One of my many "used to have" plants. :'( it seems impossible to buy it now, at least in NZ.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 10:38:40 AM »
Clematis florida seiboldii is an intriguing and glorious flower - I grew it through Wisteria on a south facing sun baked sandstone wall but with shade later in the afternoon - I love it and it's great to see it growing so well for you Stephen close up  ;)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 08:57:08 AM »
Stephen,
That is one of the nicest double clematis, but I haven't been able to get it here either.

Yet another white crocus! C. cancellatus ssp mazzariacus is now open - at least it was on Friday when I got this pic.
141791-0

And one of the nerines which I think maybe a species but was "rediscovered" in the garden without a label; does anyone know it? I have a feeling it might be N. crispa but that could be fanciful thinking on my part. ::)
141793-1

The salmon form of Oxalis hirta is lovely and a bit different to the typical one.
141795-2

cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 09:05:16 AM »
Fermi,

If the Nerine has a long slender stem to the scape it could be N. undulata?  How big are the flowers?

The Clematis appears here in the nurseries the last couple of years.  It comes from Alameda Homestead Nursery (I think that spelling is right) from memory.  There have been the Clematis florida 'sieboldii' and C. f. flore plena available.  Both of mine up and died last year which was most dissapointing.  The sieboldii was something I had wanted for years, and had had growing quite happily for a couple before it died for no reason that I am aware of.  I can only assume that somewhere in there it dried out despite having it's own watering pipe.  I will probably try it again, although at somewhere around $50 it might be a while before I can afford it.  They should appear in nurseries again in spring as they come into flower, when the jackmanii hybrids start appearing.  Or don't the Victorian nurseries have victorian stock (I'm not being facetious here, sometimes the "local" stock isn't held by local nurseries).  I can let you know when they arrive here if you want, so you can look around for them then?  Let me know.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Ray

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 09:50:46 AM »
Hi All,Clematis florida sieboldii is avaliable from this link and only $20.00.
www.clematiscottage.com.au.       They must have seen you coming Paul to charge you $50.00.
bye Ray
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 01:23:45 PM by Maggi Young »
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 10:16:53 AM »
Ray,

It might actually have been Clematis Cottage rather than Alameda.... we get both sources represented at nurseries.  The $50 plant (it could have been $40, I really can't remember) is an 8 inch plastic pot in full flower and probably 4 feet tall.  What you get mail order usually (I have no idea for this nursery) is nothing like that size.  The 6 inch smaller pots are usually around the $20, but they did not include the C. florida sieboldii last year.  By now, they may be supplying them in the smaller pots as well, but they definitely were not available last year in the nurseries here.  You buy what you can get.  ;D

Any time you buy directly from a supplier you usually get it cheaper than through a nursery anyway, due to transport and markups.  I have found a few times with mail order places that you are much better to pay the extra and buy a plant healthy and in flower instead of bare rooted in the mail.  I haven't tried clematis by mail order in quite a few years though.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 01:22:10 PM »
I have two magnificent sentinels flowering at the entrance to my property at the moment - both Aloe arborescens x ferox hybrids (...with a smattering of other genes for good measure and colour). This is a very special time in southern Africa when local gardens and the drab hillsides of KZN are ablaze with countless Aloe blossoms:
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 01:25:07 PM »
What fiery colours, Rogan.... lovely to see.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 01:39:21 PM »
Fermi , lovely photo of your Crocus cancellatus ssp. mazziaricus - here there is a light covering of snow since this afternoon . I should have taken photos before it snowed of some early winter  flowering bulbs in my garden : Corydalis popovii , Colchicum doerfleri and
 hungaricum -hopefully the snow has not flattened them .
 Clematis florida sieboldii was available last year from Cloudehill Nursery , bought mine
there .
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 10:03:30 PM »
Oh Otto, I'd love to ask you to pick up one for me, to collect when I next visit, but..... :(

I could have a lot of fun at that Clematis nursery ::)

My corydalis popovii isn't up yet so I hope it hasn't.......

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 10:14:24 PM »
Rogan,

A real blaze of colour.  Fantastic.

Otto,

We've had snow overnight on the hills around Canberra.

Lesley,

Given the cold front that is going through here the next few days I would suggest you batten down the hatches for a few days time.  Given you get snow more regularly than we do, you're almost guaranteed it when this front comes through.  Behind it is solid cold.  We're forecast -3'C on Friday morning at this stage, which along with tomorrow (-2'c) will be the first real frosts for Canberra this winter.  We've had the odd frost forecast, but nothing below 0 to -1 and in my garden the tree dahlias are still in full flower and looking lovely.  I am doubting they will be by the weekend.  :'(
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 12:47:23 AM »
You're probably right Paul. We have a lovely morning now, 12C, no wind and bright sun with no frost last night but the forecast for the weekend is pretty horrid, just in time for yet another (the fourth in a row it will be) filthy Market day for me.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal