We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: June 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 14943 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: June 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2009, 12:49:05 AM »
Lesley,

Bummer.  Try it in a bit more sun perhaps?  It obviously isn't happy with something where it is.  Perhaps try serpentine layers in a bit of it to get you a second plant to try?

Pat,

I can send you a plant at some point if you'd like?  I have a few of them about the place that I really should remove, but I keep them there until someone wants one and then I dig it up.  Of course I'd have to find one small enough to actually send to you.  :o  The leaves are quite different to cirrhosa (I have the straight species in flower next to the napaulensis, and the balearica elsewhere in the garden) and the cirrhosa don't have the summer deciduation (is that a word? Deciduousness sounds so stilted).  I wouldn't be without it now.  I did get a small planifolia from Marcus this year, but don't know whether it will flower or not.  Your clump is just so spectacular.  :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2009, 12:59:03 AM »
These three pics are for Helen in Canada. She knows why. :)
147060-0

147062-1

147064-2

They are Clematis orientalis LS 13342 (as I have it but now correctly Cl tibetana sp. vernayi LS 13342).
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 01:01:13 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2009, 01:04:54 AM »
Beautiful, Lesley.  Flowering now?  Looks so much like the summer flowering ones like tangutica (I lost mine a couple of years ago, haven't seen it for sale in at least 10 years) and the like.  Yours is not a species I have grown before.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2009, 01:45:03 AM »
The shape is more globular in the bud than tangutica and the texture thicker. It is one of very few plants ever, to have retained its collection number through many years, in order to identify the correct plant (collected by Ludlow and Sherriff in 1947). It flowers from about January on, most in March April but there are still some flowers on it. Masses of what looks like fertile seeds but I've never had one germinate either from what I've sown, or as a self-sown. It's also tricky to grow from cuttings for some reason. Only managed half a dozen in 28 years! I bought it at Levens Hall in Cumbria (English Lake District), 1981.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 01:46:44 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2009, 01:49:53 AM »
Hmmmm... so not likely to be available here then.  I love the flowers.  Reminiscent of 'Golden Tiara' which has been available the last few years in Aus.  I'd hazard it is part of the same complex or something like that.  Thanks for the extra info.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2009, 04:06:13 AM »
They are Clematis orientalis LS 13342 (as I have it but now correctly Cl tibetana sp. vernayi LS 13342).
Well, Lesley, it's allowed into Australia as either of those names (if you leave off the ssp.)! - next time you get viable looking seed let us know. ;D
Pat,
I'm also impressed at how early your iris are blooming. I have a few seedlings of I. planifolia and they are certainly ahead of the other junos into growth (but no flowers for awhile yet)
Paul,
admit it - the real reason you love that clematis is its second syllable! ;D ;D ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2009, 04:12:57 AM »
Fermi,

Maybe I'm just slow on the uptake today..... but you're going to have to explain that one?  ???
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

arillady

« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2009, 09:08:26 AM »
Yes please Paul to a seedling C. nePAULenis sometime.
Lesley I do like your Clematis too - really stunning and similar in form to the species being mentioned.
Fermi I have not checked my photos/posts from last year to see when Iris planifolia started flowering and when it finally finished but I know it seemed to keep going for ages.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

arillady

« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2009, 09:11:28 AM »
Do any of you Ozzies grow Petit Monet - the iris? Would love to buy one.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2009, 11:44:05 AM »
Ah, THAT is what Fermi was meaning.  I thought he was talking about Lesley's Clematis (hence my confusion).... forgot about my posting a pic of one. ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Onion

« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2009, 08:00:34 PM »
Uli,

I can harvest some seed for you if you'd like, if you remind me about September or October, which is about when I think they start maturing?

Paul,
thank you for this offer. But I googeled, and in my area it is better to cultivate in a winter garden.  :'( :'( :'( No winter garden available at present, and I think not in the next five to six years. I'm happy that I have the chance to use a unheated glasshouse in winter for my plants.
One of the benefits on this forum is to see a lot of fine plants, you never be able to cultivate. And the main reason I recognized more and more is we all have not the space to grow them all.
Uli Würth, Northwest of Germany Zone 7 b - 8a
Bulbs are my love (Onions) and shrubs and trees are my job

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2009, 12:25:25 AM »
Ah, THAT is what Fermi was meaning.  I thought he was talking about Lesley's Clematis
Well, of course I could've been referring to your love of tree-shepherds or gambling if I'd been referring to Lesley's! ;D

Pat,
what sort of iris is "Petit Monet"? I can't say that I've heard of it.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2009, 09:35:11 AM »
Uli,

If you change your mind or situation at any time, let me know.  The plants take -8'C here without any problems at all, but I can't vouch for any colder than that as I don't know from experience.

Fermi,

A quick google and came up with the following (amongst other links)...

http://www.dvis-ais.org/gallery/Miniature-Tall-Bearded/PETIT_MONET_MTB_Steele_1990_DSC02403

Very nice miniature tall bearded iris.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

arillady

« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2009, 10:41:50 AM »
Thanks Paul for providing the link. I do like the miniature tall bearded group - usually dainty. I received a sale catalogue from Impressive Irises but when I ordered Colleen said they had just sold out of Petit Monet. Blow - it looked nicer on her website. I will check with another grower here in SA to see if it is available. No it isn't.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2009, 11:07:54 AM »
Pat,

I had immediately thought of Colleen when you asked about it, as she has some older stuff in the catalogue as well as brand new imports.  I never get around to ordering from her, despite wanting to every year.  I've been the master of procrastination the last few years.  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal