We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: June 2010 in Southern Hemisphere  (Read 8690 times)

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
Re: June 2010 in Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2010, 01:40:49 PM »
Nerine humilis (breachiae) alba is a charming, late flowering, dwarf species with spikes of delicate white flowers, with narrow wavy perianth petals.
Flowers appear in mid-late autumn., and make excellent container plants.
The second picture is of a dainty, miniature size Tazetta type Soleil d'Or, (still under number), specially bred by another well-known NZ grower/hybridiser.
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2010, 01:50:44 PM »
Bill,

I love the Nerine.  I've never seen a white humilis before.  A favourite of the smaller species, flowers religiously every year even in a small pot.  The pure white petals make it seem even more dainty.  I must see if that one is available anywhere here in Aus, as it is a beauty.  Love the little Narc too.  Thanks for the pics.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2010, 02:01:54 AM »
Bill,
I love the Nerine.  I've never seen a white humilis before.  A favourite of the smaller species, flowers religiously every year even in a small pot.  The pure white petals make it seem even more dainty.  I must see if that one is available anywhere here in Aus, as it is a beauty.  Love the little Narc too.  Thanks for the pics.

Paul, if and when this species set seed, remind me in a month time for a few seeds, you might get lucky.
Climate zone 10

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2010, 10:41:21 AM »
Thanks Bill.  Did you grow yours from seed?  I've only a single clone of my own humilis, and it has never set viable seed for me here unfortunately, despite hand pollination.  Obviously not self fertile. ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2010, 07:41:06 AM »
I'm wondering why I'm the first to post a snowdrop pic to this thread (having only the mildest of "white fever' symptoms myself)!
Galanthus elwesii "Comet?" (this was in Marcus Harvey's previous lists as "Green Outer Tips" but he's now pretty sure it's "Comet")
231293-0

And another Galanthus elwesii
231295-1

And to continue the white theme, the diminutive Allium chamaemoly
231297-2

cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2010, 08:18:10 AM »
I'm wondering why I'm the first to post a snowdrop pic to this thread (having only the mildest of "white fever' symptoms myself)!

Goodness knows Fermi, but thanks for a midsummer fix ;D
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

galahad

• Ross
    • Wild Hybrid
« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2010, 08:23:44 AM »
I have buds showing but they are still a way down

Galanthus elwesii "Comet?" (this was in Marcus Harvey's previous lists as "Green Outer Tips" but he's now pretty sure it's "Comet")
(Attachment Link)

And another Galanthus elwesii
(Attachment Link)

And to continue the white theme, the diminutive Allium chamaemoly
(Attachment Link)

cheers
fermi

Christchurch, New Zealand

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2010, 09:39:40 PM »
Same here. Not a single snowdrop out yet, even the reginae-olgaes haven't flowered yet but it was so dry early on. I've had a look and they're still there, just extremely late. A few buds on the new ones from Marcus, happily.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2010, 02:19:56 AM »
There are hundreds of G. elwesii v. monostictus  in flower already here in my garden and with many more in bud - also great drifts of G. rizehensis , one of the easiest here multiplying at a great speed , and very nice .
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

arillady

« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2010, 10:55:43 AM »
Otto it must be lovely to have great drifts of Galanthus - lucky you.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2010, 01:49:33 PM »
Nice show Fermi and Otto, with the first of the season's charming snowdrops, no garden should be without them, keep them coming.

One more and the cetainly the last of the season's beautiful Brunsvigia grandiflora still flowering at the moment.
Not to forget the interesting, nice coloured Canarina canariensis putting up a brave display, not very hardy, will have to cover when frost is forecasted.

Looks like the Nerine humilis (breachiae) alba with a little help, is setting seed Paul, you might be in luck.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 01:52:30 PM by Tecophilaea King »
Climate zone 10

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2010, 09:07:56 AM »
Wonderful, Bill.  Hopefully yours doesn't do like mine does, and look like they're setting seed and abort.  Fingers and everything crossed for the seed to mature.  ;D

Excellent pics everyone.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal