We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Gardening Scotland 2009  (Read 8158 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Gardening Scotland 2009
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2009, 11:01:28 AM »
Some super plant pix there, David.
I'm not entirely sure whether Ian is most in "working" mode when he's doing his BBC bit or when he's eating large ice-creams..... (see Ian C's earlier photo) ;)

MacPlants display looks superb and Ian tells me he thought it was the most impressive in the show hall.
I think the third display that Beryl designed was for the Scotland's Garden Scheme?  :-\
Beryl is one of those amazing people; quiet, efficient and capable of achieving practically anything..... not sure if she's ever thought of dabbling in rocket science, but I'm sure it would be a doddle for her!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2009, 07:43:09 PM »
Luit - if I remember correctly both Alabaster and Cheddar were on display on various exhibits. And I have to agree with you there seems to be little significant difference........ Need to see them side by side perhaps.

Maggie, thanks. Now that you mention it, Beryl's third contribution was the Garden Scheme. I too thought that Macplants was the most naturally impressive planting in the pavilion with some really good subtle changes across the large exhibit. For me, the rock work on the winning alpine display was very unnatural and with Meconopsis PC Abildgard at the highest point just didn't look right - mind you they did have some magnificent plants - Celmisia Eggleston Silver for example.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 07:45:50 PM by DaveM »
Dave Millward, East Lothian, Scotland

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2009, 07:45:31 PM »
Hi all we have arrived home and unloaded the plants from the display a huge effort by the Bainbridges, Shaws and Graham Wenham thanks so much and I agree with Ian I thought Beryls stand was just such a natural garden with the plants matching the colours so well. I am away to London in the morning to Kath Drydens funeral so will post later,  cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2009, 07:50:56 PM »
Good luck with the travel to England tomorrow, Presdient Ian. I know you will take our condolences and good wishes to all Kath's family from those of us who cannot attend.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2009, 08:39:43 PM »
Luit - if I remember correctly both Alabaster and Cheddar were on display on various exhibits. And I have to agree with you there seems to be little significant difference........ Need to see them side by side perhaps.
Thanks for that Dave. Will have to try both and have look myself then.... :-\  ;D
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2009, 10:28:29 PM »
Must say I am very taken by Trollius cultorum 'Alabastar', a plant I have admired for many years but have never seen for sale here at home. I must go on the chase again.

Paddy

When I saw the picture of Trollius Cheddar, I thought of T. Alabaster too.
Would like to know what is the difference, if there is any??

Luit, I believe the difference is that  'Cheddar' is edible!

No, I don't believe there is any great difference in appearance at all.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2009, 02:59:33 PM »
Its too hot in the garden so I will take the oportunity to download a few pictures.
The UK launch of Bill Terry's book, was held on the SRGC stand where President Ian presented copies to George Anderson (Cally Soc) and John Mitchell (Mec Group).
Afterwards Ian was able to present a copy to HRH Princess Ann whilst Jim Jermyn looked on.
Best garden in the show - Kevock
One of the most spectacular exhibits was a simple planting of a sea of Meconopsis.
John Amand had his usual forest of Arisaema
I was taken by this garden built by Beryl McNaughton for the Open Gardens Book.
I am sure that Ian Young visited the yellow VW. I would have loved to see Ian there in his shades and the cans on his ears.
It was a very good show but I am glad that our stand was in the hall where it was much cooler than outside.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2009, 03:12:14 PM »
Nice pix, David.
You must both be tired after your weekend, I know Ian is, even with the ice cream fuel.
We're just not used to all this heat and sunshine, are we? Forecast says it will all change again soon, so I suppose we must enjoy it while we can.  :-X

Heather Smith

• Beginning a new life
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2009, 05:31:37 PM »
I enjoyed the Show and had perfect weather (if a little hot) on Saturday. I'm just posting a few, among many, pics of stands I liked. I hope these pics come up - they seem to be staying large,though.  I'll never get this right.

Edit by Maggi: Heather, I have added your photos in reduced mode. Click the pix to enlarge them, Folks!

SRGC Stand
140030-0

Kevock Display 1
140032-1

Kevock Display 2
140034-2

Kevock Display 3
140036-3

Kevock Display 4
140038-4

Kevock Display 5
140040-5

Harperley Nursery Display 1
140042-6

Harperley Nursery Display 2
140044-7

Zimbolic Recycled Metal Sculptures - Giraffes
140046-8
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 05:48:34 PM by Maggi Young »

Carol Shaw

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2009, 09:29:12 PM »
It was a wonderful show and we all had great fun... have to admit it left me totally wiped but I would not have missed for worlds  ;D Graham was a new addition to the 'team' this year and had so much fun that he turned up for all three days rather than just two of them! I look forward to seeing him on the stand again next year. The Joint Rockers' tried to take over the stand on the Saturday but we managed to defend ourselves  :D We moan and groan, with good reason, about the lighting in the Floral Hall but this year at least I for one was glad we were not in a marquee the heat was beyond a joke out on the show ground and there were regular PA announcements to drink lots of water. Anton & Margaret Edwards did a stint on the stand on the Saturday and enjoyed themselves... if you are coming to the show in 2010 do consider joining our merry band for a couple of hours. This gives those of us there for a three days a chance to escape and wander into a quiet corner  :) And will someone remind me next year to do that!

The Kevock stand was fab as were Beryl's and John Amand's Outside I was impressed with the gardens created by the colleges and wondered if the SRGC shouldn't create a pallet garden just for the heck of it!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 08:06:05 AM by Carol Shaw »
Carol
near Forres,Scotland [the banana belt]

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2009, 10:41:51 PM »
I always hoped I'd find a use for Roger's VW beetle. Now I see it before me. :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2009, 02:00:12 PM »
I always hoped I'd find a use for Roger's VW beetle. Now I see it before me. :D

Yes, cute display with the VW, wasn't it? Here is a photo with the Beechgrove Garden TV presenters from the Perennial charity's website: http://www.perennial.org.uk/news/plantforplaunch.aspx

I did notice on the TV coverage that sadly no-one had spotted that the logo painted on the VW was wrong.... it proclaimed theat Perennial was the " Gardner's Royal Benevolent Society" .... I'm getting crotchety about such things, even though my own typing is terrible!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 06:48:18 PM by Maggi Young »

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2009, 02:36:17 PM »

Zimbolic Recycled Metal Sculptures - Giraffes
(Attachment Link)

I had'nt realized that Stellan had made it to Gardening Scotland !!!
  ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2009, 12:54:16 PM »
Great photos all.  But oh those blue poppies!!!!   :o :o :o :o :o

Thanks everyone.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal