We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pot culture of Iris verna  (Read 1725 times)

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
Pot culture of Iris verna
« on: May 25, 2009, 02:57:52 AM »
Who is growing Iris verna and what kind of luck are they having with it?

It seems to dislike exposure to our wet-though-not-very-cold winters in a pot, and is slow to begin active growth again in the spring. I also suspect that my usual soil mix is too dense and airless for it. In particular, should the rhizomes be at soil level, buried in the soil, or supported by a light airy layer of rough organic debris?

General comments most welcome; I'd love to persuade my Iris verna to come up early and grow lustily.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
Re: Pot culture of Iris verna
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 10:33:45 AM »
Hello Rodger

Iris verna has 'done' better for me in an experimental cool sand/grit crevice garden than in a pot.

Despite the lack of humus/organic matter my clump has grown over the years ,to the point where i have been able to divide /pull off side growths for potential visitors--Interestingly unless i include sand and increase the grit content when i plant the divisions into my standard potting mix of 40% peat -- 40% bark-- 20% grit they struggle.

I've just been out with the torch and can confirm the rhizomes creep along at soil level.

Although this is my experience ,(as it relates to a local climate), i hope the above is of some help.

Cheers dave.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 11:04:42 AM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
Re: Pot culture of Iris verna
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 02:04:32 PM »
Hello Dave and Rodger , I have no experience in growing I .verna in a pot , there is no need to do so , as it grows very happyly in a semishaded ,cool spot in the rockgarden and flowering freely . it appreciates leafmould and some coarse sand .
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal