We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Chelsea flower show 09  (Read 15821 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Chelsea flower show 09
« Reply #105 on: May 28, 2009, 12:22:45 AM »
VivienR

Left corner front - might be Crassula arborescens but hard to tell as I don't see stems just leaves, could be a Cotyledon sp.
middle front edge - Crassula marneriana, name may have changed since my Cactus days.
right corner front - Echeveria glauca, possibly E. elegans

Can't really see the others clearly.

I should probably keep quiet on the subject.

johnw
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 02:16:42 AM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

vivienr

« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2009, 11:57:50 AM »
Thank you for your help for iDs for the succulents, John. I have just looked up a few sites for Crassula, Cotyledon and Echeveria but it is very difficult to tell from the pictures and there seems to be a lot of variation. I think all your suggestions could be right.
I have found out the London nursery which supplied the plants and have sent them an email to see if they have a show plant list - worth a try to save a lot of head-scratching :)

Vivien
Vivien Roeder, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #107 on: May 28, 2009, 12:13:38 PM »
Vivien - The Crassula arborescens when more mature looks like a blue green Jade Tree with a rosy flush on the edges of the leaves. I now doubt that's what I see in the tray. The nursery would have taken stem cuttings of C. arborescens rather than just leaves. And I see one leaf is sending up shoots (one towards the top of the group at the right).

May be a Titanopsis sp. in the top right corner.

johnw
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 12:16:26 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

vivienr

« Reply #108 on: May 28, 2009, 12:49:12 PM »
Yes John, the Crassula arborescens turns out to be Kalanchoe thyrsiflora 'Bronze Sculpture'. I have had a quick reply from Newington Nurseries. They have just put a full planting list with very good photos of everything on their website. All the plants on the exhibit were supplied by them. They also have interesting photos of the construction of the garden.

www.newington-nurseries.co.uk

You were right about Crassula marnieriana (Var. ' Hottentot').
I think the Echeverias are E. runyonii 'Topsey Turvey', E. lilacina and E. elegans.

Vivien
Vivien Roeder, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal