We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: B&Q Multipurpose Compost with John Innes-Is this a good all round mix.  (Read 4730 times)

newstart

B&Q Multipurpose Compost with John Innes. Is this a good all round mix as i find peat with loam and a little sand to work well for me as a potting mix. Has any one used this before. Is it mainly peat and say 20% loam 5% sand added in approx terms. Hoping some one can help out here? Dont suppose it could work for cuttings as well as we are on the subject-anyone? ,possibly to high in nutrients for cuttings.
David in Central England. Lots more still to learn!

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
B&Q Multipurpose Compost with John Innes. Is this a good all round mix as i find peat with loam and a little sand to work well for me as a potting mix. Has any one used this before. Is it mainly peat and say 20% loam 5% sand added in approx terms. Hoping some one can help out here? Dont suppose it could work for cuttings as well as we are on the subject-anyone? ,possibly to high in nutrients for cuttings. 

Of course, it depends what you are growing!  Give us some ideas what sort of plants and are you talking about troughs or pots? 
However, I think you are going to need grit as well to open out the mixture - in terms of proportions, the easiest is equal proportions by volume of your Multipurpose Compost and John Innes and grit - this would make a good mix for many things. 
I find just sand is good for many cuttings (but again, it depends what plants you are talking about?) If you have a plunge bed, it is a good place to put cuttings and often they root well.  You may find in time that you will need a leaner mix for some things, say 50/50 JI and grit, but the thirds mix will be good for many things.     
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

newstart

Hi thanks for your answers. I intend to grow medium to fast growth alpines. Medium Sedums to Aubreita large as examples of range.
Here is a small list. I do have more in my garden and a bigger list of alpines on order. Alpines are a recent new interest for me!

Arabis
Alyssum
Alchemilla
Campanula
Geranium
Grasses

Can the above grow reasonably in the B&Q John innes and peat mix? I dont know it ratio's. Before was a complete guess. I thought it was cheaper for compost producers to have less John innes in the mixture and more peat.

As a rule do more vigorous ones grow in 'less fussy' mixtures eg the above? 

Thanks for your help!

David.
David in Central England. Lots more still to learn!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal