We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Troughs  (Read 199376 times)

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
Re: Troughs
« Reply #705 on: July 03, 2016, 09:47:04 AM »
I was recently gifted from some good friends 4 small troughs with measurements of --1 metre length --350mm width --150mm depth.

Spent a few hours trying to work out where to position them and finally decided to narrow the width of a path and remove some limestone edging along one of the Trillium beds near the BBQ area.

Mixed some left over pumice with compost and chipped one of the larger redundant limestone rocks for some top dressing around the raised planting.

I had a number of saxifraga in pots purchased a few months back from a local nursery ,( where the troughs previously resided ), that needed planting out ........

One down , 3 troughs to finish ... :)

Cheers Dave.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 09:50:26 AM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #706 on: July 03, 2016, 03:51:56 PM »
Very nice! They're a good size for quite a few subjects.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #707 on: July 04, 2016, 10:26:00 AM »
Thanks Maggi

Might take awhile to finish them all as although I have plenty of plant material available I'm undecided at this stage on what rock to use and in what form for the other 3 troughs .

Had an idea tonight that I might try and disguise the fact they are 3 separate troughs in a row by raising the rock higher with peaks and hollows so I can cover the concrete ,(end), edges where they butt on to each other to give the impression ,at least from a top view of one continuous narrow trough ......  :-\

There is no urgency and in any case I think half the fun is in mulling over ideas .

Cheers Dave.

Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #708 on: July 04, 2016, 11:58:24 PM »
I wonder why those labels look so familiar? ;D

Dave you would have loved the long troughs in the Czech gardens. Some were 3 or 4 metres long and they housed great collections of rare and lovely plants. I have some photos somewhere.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #709 on: July 05, 2016, 10:43:33 AM »

;D

Eljay88

« Reply #710 on: July 06, 2016, 08:51:19 AM »

Dave you would have loved the long troughs in the Czech gardens. Some were 3 or 4 metres long and they housed great collections of rare and lovely plants. I have some photos somewhere.

If you find the photos I would love to see them Lesley. Which Czech gardens did you go to?

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #711 on: July 06, 2016, 11:08:47 AM »
Eljay: The two forum threads below have  many photos from the various gardens visited  during the Czech Conferences/Tours of 2007 and 2013.
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=471.0

http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=10484.0
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #712 on: July 07, 2016, 12:58:55 AM »
I'll have a dig among my Czech pictures Dave. I used some the other day in a trough talk, but mostly smaller ones. The best long ones that I remember in the amazing Holubec garden but there were others too. Maybe they were horse troughs originally? But do look through Maggi's links above. Great memories for me there. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #713 on: July 09, 2016, 10:45:31 AM »
Eljay: The two forum threads below have  many photos from the various gardens visited  during the Czech Conferences/Tours of 2007 and 2013.
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=471.0

http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=10484.0

Thanks for showing the links to those threads again Maggi --some wonderful images ...

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #714 on: November 11, 2016, 12:52:31 PM »
Regular Forum readers will probably remember an old stone sink I bought from my local tip for 50p many years ago and never did anything with. Well, I've done it at last, sort of! I had grown on a load of Saxifrage cuttings and planted it out a few days ago. The local Magpies and Jackdaws seemed to like it and took out not only the black labels I had lovingly written and buried just about to their tops in the soil against each plant, but took many of the the plants out as well. Re-planting has been done, no idea for most of them what their names are, and this time I've netted it.

It's the one and only time I've wished for cats :P
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #715 on: November 11, 2016, 02:15:02 PM »
[It's the one and only time I've wished for cats]

You are loosing it David,You are loosing it,are you not taking the tablets. ?  :) :) :)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 02:17:42 PM by Michael J Campbell »

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #716 on: November 11, 2016, 03:23:36 PM »

You are loosing it David,You are loosing it,are you not taking the tablets. ?  :) :) :)

I must be getting old Michael!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/
« Reply #717 on: November 16, 2016, 11:38:54 AM »

A visit to a bluestone quarry was worth the effort for the beautiful stone I found. I was told I could pick though the overburden, which was a HUGE pile of assorted stone. I was looking for interesting looking stuff with troughs in mind. I'm quite pleased with how my first crevice garden pot has come up.

Apologies for posting so many photos, but every angle has a different character and I couldn't choose. :)
Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

Tristan_He

« Reply #718 on: November 16, 2016, 06:27:01 PM »
That looks great Jamus, maybe you could buy a few slabs from the quarry to wire together and make a trough? Would look amazing with matching rocks inside.

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/
« Reply #719 on: November 18, 2016, 12:31:38 AM »
Tristan I love that idea! It never occurred to me. I don't have a lot of space for troughs, but I guess I can make more space by getting rid of garden beds.
Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal