We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Troughs  (Read 199378 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Troughs
« Reply #255 on: May 08, 2011, 10:17:24 PM »
Thay look good Graham. Maybe you'll need to move one or two after a year or so. ???
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #256 on: May 09, 2011, 01:25:04 PM »
A super idea Graham - they look really at home already in your newly acquired trough from Anthony.  I love the way you have added the old log with moss and the trailing ivy spilling over the edge.  You look as if you you have some wonderful containers in the background that look full of all sorts of other goodies  :)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

angie

« Reply #257 on: May 10, 2011, 10:04:09 PM »
Well Graham my troughs need more planting I think, the two that I got from Anthony are looking great.
Do you want to come here and put your magical touch to mine.

Robin I noticed all those lovely containers of goodies as well. So much to see.
ps Robin are you going to the discussion weekend in September.

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #258 on: May 10, 2011, 10:55:10 PM »
Angie, I would love to but think not...maybe next year.  it was great to meet you & Derek at the Conference  :)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

astragalus

« Reply #259 on: May 10, 2011, 11:43:10 PM »
This trough is being taken over by a single plant, Oxytropis shokanbetsuensis.  I dig the tiny seedlings and give them to visitors, but its progress has been inexorable.  Two phloxes are hanging in there and another oxytropis, but barely.  Putting it in a trough was a bad mistake.
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

angie

« Reply #260 on: May 10, 2011, 11:52:51 PM »
Angie, I would love to but think not...maybe next year.  it was great to meet you & Derek at the Conference  :)

Hi Robin

Ok will hold you to that. Derek was pleased to meet you, he hears me taking about you on the forum so like he said it's nice to put a face to the name.
This will be my first SRGC discussion weekend so looking forward to it. Hope that there will be more forum folks for me to meet.
Derek is staying home this time to look after the dog. I think he won't be bored, l bet he will golf everyday.

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #261 on: May 11, 2011, 09:36:28 AM »
This trough is being taken over by a single plant, Oxytropis shokanbetsuensis.  I dig the tiny seedlings and give them to visitors, but its progress has been inexorable.  Two phloxes are hanging in there and another oxytropis, but barely.  Putting it in a trough was a bad mistake.

I don't think that was a mistake, Anne. I like to see "mono" troughs and in this case, it contains the wandering Oxytropis nicely too.... only a moment's pause to sympathise with its trough mates who are being squeezed, but overall I like the look!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Graham Catlow

« Reply #262 on: May 11, 2011, 09:55:28 AM »

I don't think that was a mistake, Anne. I like to see "mono" troughs and in this case, it contains the wandering Oxytropis nicely too.... only a moment's pause to sympathise with its trough mates who are being squeezed, but overall I like the look!

Anne I agree with Maggi, on all counts. I too don't think a trough has to be packed with lots of different things and in this case the single species works well.

Designing troughs is something I really enjoy even if they don't always work the first time. And perhaps not everyone likes what I do but then I do them for me.

Lesley I may have to make some changes to the hosta trough in a couple of years - Hooray I can start again with a new design. Thats the good thing about that one it wont do the plants any harm to be moved.

Angie and Robin, Thanks for your kind remarks. There are others. I have thirteen troughs, and some I have shown when they have been at their best in other threads.
Bo'ness. Scotland

olegKon

• onion farmer to the forum
« Reply #263 on: May 11, 2011, 09:59:49 AM »
this tiny Phlox austromontana feels at home in a trough
in Moscow

astragalus

« Reply #264 on: May 11, 2011, 12:09:28 PM »
Maggi and Graham, I also like the looks of the trough but am not happy about the Phlox hendersonii and Phlox hoodii that are slowly being taken over.  They have grown into the tufa and can't be removed.  I did have a trough once that was planted with nothing but silver saxes and it was gorgeous.  It lasted quite a few years although this is not a great garden for saxes, too hot and dry.  There were a number of different cultivars with enough range in size and flower to keep it very interesting.

John85

« Reply #265 on: May 11, 2011, 12:13:11 PM »
And what is the name of the small oxytropis with grey leaves please?

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #266 on: May 11, 2011, 10:35:47 PM »
That phlox is a little honey Oleg. :)

Talking of phloxes, I have quite a nice seedling from Ron Ratko, of P. viscida. Can anyone tell me anything about it? It looks a little bit loose and lanky but that may be because it hasn't seen the great outdoors yet. My hope is that it will be suitable for a trough.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 10:51:49 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

astragalus

« Reply #267 on: May 12, 2011, 05:11:20 AM »

And what is the name of the small oxytropis with grey leaves please?
[/quote]
I think that's Oxytropis lagopus.

olegKon

« Reply #268 on: May 12, 2011, 07:23:12 AM »
Thank you, Lesley
in Moscow

olegKon

« Reply #269 on: May 18, 2011, 09:03:33 PM »
1. the phlox I showed a week ago has progressed
2. Phlox helseyi Lemki Purple
in Moscow

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal