We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Troughs  (Read 199436 times)

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
Re: Troughs
« Reply #225 on: December 02, 2010, 06:28:24 PM »
Hi there, just potting up another trough of Clematis marmoraria so I took a shot of my mix.
My mix consists of -  1.5-2 parts composted bark : 1 part 5mm chip : 1 part crusher dust.
We get pretty dry in the summer hence I add the extra .5 compost depending on the plants natural environment.
I am pretty fresh in the alpine cultivation world, but I have had good success so far.
Thank you Doug for this very useful information.

Kris, here in North-east Scotland our New Zealand plants do best in our ordinary garden soil or in our raised beds and troughs which have basically the same mix as our potted plants.... 2 parts grit ( 6mm broken granite) 2 parts sand and 1 part leaf mould.

Thank you Maggi. Because our summers are drier I think I must added  more leaf mould . But anyway I keep trying......

These beautiful leaves can even beat some flowers, Kris!
I agree Katherine! We always think of flowers but this beautiful leaves are there for the whole year and not only few weeks.
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #226 on: December 02, 2010, 07:49:12 PM »
Mark, the Myosotis shown here are definitely NOT weedy. If only..... :D M. capitata comes from the subantarctic islands, Auckland Island, Enderby and others in the deep southern ocean and should be hardy with you. It is monocarpic unfortunately and has to be resown but is well worth that samll task. I usually get good seed and should this year as I have half a dozen flowering plants. If so, I'll send some.
The other is a garden hybrid and has not set seed for me yet.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #227 on: December 14, 2010, 07:12:31 AM »
While we were in India we visited Hampi the site of an ancient Hindu kingdom wiped out 500 years ago and only really re-discovered in the 1970s.
I saw this horse trough and wondered how many alpines could be accommodated in a trough this size! ;D
257313-0

257315-1

257317-2

It would take quite a lot of compost, eh?
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #228 on: December 14, 2010, 11:48:03 AM »
You'll have a job carrying it home ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #229 on: December 15, 2010, 03:32:00 AM »
Or how many horses? ;D Nice blocks of stone too. Each one, hollowed out would make a good trough.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #230 on: January 04, 2011, 10:33:53 PM »
I planted another trough yesterday and though it doesn't look good at the moment, it should get better PROVIDED I can keep it cool, something of a risk as though it gets full shade until 1.30pm (on the longest day) it is fully exposed to sun and drying winds thereafter. The chunks of rock look as if they're on top but in fact are well bedded in and with more rock in the tough itself, to encourage the roots to go towards them.The top surface of the trough is about 18cms above the level of the trough surface, The rocks are standing at steep angles as I wanted to make shady slopes below them but that has been only partially successful. Time will tell whether it works but I hope so as the plants are all demanding of a cool environment and mostly are not replaceable now. They are:

Ramondas myconi 'Wisley Pink', nathaliae JCA 686, nathaliae alba and serbica
Primulas aureata and bella (see Primula ID thread)
Diapensia lapponica
Soldanella pusilla
A tiny plant of Salix x Boydii
and two (currently dormant) bulbs
Corydalis ambigua and my most precious frit.

There's space for one more plant and I'm tempted to add a little Shortia but they're TOO little so far so I'll wait and see how things do before taking that plunge. :)

260048-0

260050-1

260052-2

These little primula plants seedlings are under an overhang of rock.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #231 on: January 05, 2011, 06:01:27 AM »
While we were in India we visited Hampi the site of an ancient Hindu kingdom wiped out 500 years ago and only really re-discovered in the 1970s.
I saw this horse trough and wondered how many alpines could be accommodated in a trough this size! ;D

It would take quite a lot of compost, eh?
cheers
fermi

yes, a lot of compost, and a lot of refrigeration to grow alpines in that climate, i bet ;)

olegKon

• onion farmer to the forum
« Reply #232 on: January 05, 2011, 09:38:46 PM »
Very nice and promising, Lesley. I will be waiting to see pictures of the trough in bloom. Congratulations!
in Moscow

gervandenbeuken

• grower of choice cushion plants
« Reply #233 on: January 18, 2011, 01:34:22 PM »
just an example of one of my 18 years old throughs, planted with a mix of species from N. America, Himalaya and Turkey.
Everything is designed with travertin rock. Plants are doing well without any protection in winter.

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #234 on: January 18, 2011, 01:50:47 PM »
Nice trough, Ger.  Which soil-mix do you use in your troughs?
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #235 on: January 18, 2011, 02:36:12 PM »
Impressive Ger !!  :o :o
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #236 on: January 18, 2011, 03:16:07 PM »
Well, you have the time now Luc.  :P I've been meaning to create some troughs for the last five years at least and haven't done it yet!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

angie

« Reply #237 on: January 18, 2011, 03:18:23 PM »
Really lovely Ger, wish my troughs were looking as good as yours are.
Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #238 on: January 18, 2011, 03:32:51 PM »
Well, you have the time now Luc.  :P I've been meaning to create some troughs for the last five years at least and haven't done it yet!

Careful Mr Nicholson...you are living dangerously...  ;D ;)
Some other projects have priority I'm afraid David...  ::)  there's a Mrs G. just as there is a Mrs N.  ;D ;D ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #239 on: January 18, 2011, 03:39:58 PM »
Yes Luc, I understand ;D You will have to copy our Wednesday day out regime.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal