We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Green Ore Compost  (Read 12423 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Green Ore Compost
« on: May 07, 2009, 03:55:57 PM »
Some time ago Paul Cumbleton posted a pic of the potting compost used at Wisley in one of his Wisley Logs and indicated that it was manufactured by a firm in Wells, Somerset. I made contact with the suppliers who told me that they had very few retail outlets out of Somerset and concentrated on the bulk horticultural and sports fields  markets but I could collect some from their works if I would like some. It looked very good stuff and I have been promising myself a trip up to Wells (about an hour and a half drive for me) for some time.

I went yesterday and collected four x 25Kg bags of JI no. 2-the company also manufactures JI seed, No.1, and No. 3. It really is excellent stuff and if I were to be short of something to have for dinner then a plateful of this would go down a treat ;D

The compost is extremely friable and takes on a rich browny/red colour from the loam used to make it. It is difficult to show it in a picture but below are pics of the Green Ore and in comparison one of the compost I currently use which, I sometimes feel has enough humous but very little loam. I shall make a point of more regular trips to Wells in the future.

The name of the manufacturer is F A SMITH, Horticultural Works, Green Ore, Nr. Wells, Somerset Tel. 01761 241378.

For friends overseas, who may not be aware, the "recipes" for the range of John Innes composts were evolved many years ago by the John Innes Institute, an horticultural research body, currently based in Norwich, Norfolk. Many different manufactures in the UK make their own brands of JI Composts, supposedly to the JI recipes but these vary widely in quality and indeed in loam content.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gerry Webster

Re: Green Ore Compost
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 05:36:53 PM »
David - I've only used 'Green Ore'  (once some years ago) but I remember it as being nice & loamy compared with most samples of JI.  I agree that, in comparison, J. Arthur Bowers seems lacking in loam. However, your sample  looks very different - & inferior - to the stuff I get under that name. I wonder if it varies from one part of the country to another?
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 07:04:26 PM »
Gerry, my J Arthur Bowers was garden centre bought. They buy in very large quantities and display it a pallet at a time, so mine could well have been sitting under a mound of other bags for months. I usually have to rub it through a wide mesh sieve to get rid of the larger lumps. I normally buy at least 4 bags at a time to get a slightly better rate so mine has to sit in my garage until I begin to use it.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 12:33:05 AM »
Add some sugar, eggs and spices and you'll have everything there that you need for a Christmas cake David. :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 09:04:04 AM »
Thanks David, very interesting !
Pitty you don't live nearer the Channel - I might hop over to pick up some of that delightful stuff !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 10:10:04 AM »
Luc, I think you and Luc the Second need to get your own boat... then you could sail to all sorts of places near the coast to find interesting things ..... for instance....Aberdeen has a fine harbour  ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Luc Gilgemyn

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 10:46:36 AM »
A suggestion that merits thorough consideration Maggi !!  ;D ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 01:34:36 PM »
Luc if I was an entrepreneur I would lease a van, buy a van load and sell it round the AGS and SRGC Shows. But then, if I was an entrepreneur I might have been an early retired Banker with a pension paid by the taxpayer!!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Luc Gilgemyn

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 01:38:03 PM »
Selling decent JI compost would have made you a far more honest citizen than being a banker David...  :P ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 01:47:06 PM »
 ;D ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Gerry Webster

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 02:11:07 PM »
Interesting that the makers of 'Green Ore' do not appear to belong to the John Innes Manufacturers Association.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 01:39:18 AM »
Selling decent JI compost would have made you a far more honest citizen than being a banker David...  :P ;)

He's not interested in honest, he wants RICH ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 09:52:38 AM »
Filthy rich would do even better Lesley ;D

Yes Gerry I noticed that. So much for the JI Manufacturer's Association.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2016, 06:44:45 PM »
Green Ore is closed, i'm looking for a new supplier. I've received sample of Growmoor but can't really test it due to the small quantity. Anyone is using substrat from this company?

North of France

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2016, 08:05:42 PM »
If only I could find some Yann. I'm just waiting from  a reply from them that might tell me where my nearest supplier is located. I suspect it is pretty good stuff and from the reading on their Web Site it contains peat so it is likely to be excellent stuff.

I'm just in the middle of a battle with the owners of the Levington brand of compost. I had bought a bag of their multi-purpose compost with added (in their words John Innes). I have never seen such rubbish. Obviously made from coir and very poor green waste. I gave up trying to put it through a sieve in order to add it to the John Innes Numbers two and three that I buy from a local independent nursery who make their own.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal