We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: A bulbous plant  (Read 5946 times)

Arda Takan

• Tulips and Frits.
A bulbous plant
« on: May 06, 2009, 10:18:43 PM »
I don't know what plant this is, it has only 1 wide leaf and a bulb as small as a nut. I'll be glad if you can identify it.
By the way I forgot to say how I found it, it is an endemic plant.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 11:29:23 PM by Arda Takan »
in Eskisehir / Turkey

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: A bulbous plant
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 05:17:52 AM »
Looks quite like the leaf of a young, non-flowering Fritillaria. Was the bulb white, without a tunic?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Arda Takan

• Tulips and Frits.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 08:27:36 AM »
Yes
in Eskisehir / Turkey

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 11:50:13 AM »
My first thoughts were exactly the same as Lesley.  Definitely looks like a young Frit.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Arda Takan

• Tulips and Frits.
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 01:04:50 PM »
By saying non-flowering you meant it is too small to flower or it will never have flowers at all?
in Eskisehir / Turkey

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 01:10:36 PM »
Too small to flower.  A lot of the frits put up when immature what I always think of as little sails, because they always remind me of the sail of a ship.  As the plants mature more these become multi-leafed stems etc (depending on the species of course) and increase in size until they flower.  Yours just looks like it is a small bulb that has only a single leaf "yet", but it will grow in time and hopefully get bigger each year until flowering.  How long that takes will greatly depend on what species it is, and therefore how large the plant needs to get to before it is flowering size.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Arda Takan

• Tulips and Frits.
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 01:14:51 PM »
Thanks Paul.
I searched the area where I had found it , and I barely found 3-4 all had only 1 leaf. It made me think how did they breed.

edit: typing mistake
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 01:17:22 PM by Arda Takan »
in Eskisehir / Turkey

kirsitn

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 09:50:03 PM »
Could also be Erythronium sibiricum, but I don't know if they're found in Turkey.
Kristin - Oslo, Norway

Arda Takan

• Tulips and Frits.
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 10:35:59 PM »
I'll keep an eye on it and we will see what truely it is I think =)
in Eskisehir / Turkey

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 11:55:45 PM »
I'll still go with Fritillaria, and Heaven knows, Turkey has more than its fair share of those. ;D
If there were a few similar leaves and nothing else, it's possible that a previously mature bulb has died for some reason, leaving just these young ones. It's also possible that the young ones are the precursor to a larger, perhaps flowering bulb. I find many species send up their vegetative babies first, followed perhaps even a few weeks later, by the mature flower stem. Your leaf looks very robust and thick so it will be interesting in time to see what species it is.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Arda Takan

• Tulips and Frits.
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 09:56:27 AM »
Lesley what you say makes sense, because this little bulbs were very close to each other perhaps they were baby bulbs of a mature bulb.
in Eskisehir / Turkey

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 10:17:58 AM »
I do think these are baby Fritillaria bulbs.... they may take several years to get to flowering size, though the leaf you show does look strong.  :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 10:49:03 AM »
Lesley what you say makes sense, because this little bulbs were very close to each other perhaps they were baby bulbs of a mature bulb.

Everything Lesley says makes sense Arda - You'll learn that if you stick around this forum long enough...  ;D ;D ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Arda Takan

• Tulips and Frits.
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 12:12:42 PM »

Everything Lesley says makes sense Arda - You'll learn that if you stick around this forum long enough...  ;D ;D ;D
I will Luc, I ensure you :)
I have so many things to learn from you people
in Eskisehir / Turkey

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2009, 01:48:11 AM »

Egads, Luc.  Don't encourage her!  :o :o :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal