We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: A visit to Lanhydrock House  (Read 2880 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
A visit to Lanhydrock House
« on: March 28, 2007, 08:32:26 PM »
One or two members have expressed an interest in photographically accompanying Maureen and I on our Wednesday "jaunts" so at the risk of boring the pants off those who find them terminally boring here we go again.

Todays jaunt was to Lanhydrock House about 2 miles from Bodmin, the County Town of Cornwall, about an hours drive from home.

Lanhydrock is an early Victorian house but with much earlier beginnings. Until Henry VIII dissolution of the monasteries in the 1530's the Estate was owned by the Priory of St Petroc (the patron Saint of Cornwall) in Bodmin. It was purchased in about 1620 by Sir Richard Robartes, a powerful local merchant and son of a very successful Cornish money lender (name one of those not successful!!).
The House went through a number of changes over the years and parts of it were substantially re-built following a massive fire in the late 1800's. It is surrounded by formal gardens, including a Church and burial ground, and extensive woodland gardens, parts of which are still being re-established after the effects of the "Hurricane" in 1990. Well worth seeing for anyone passing close by. It eventually passed to the National Trust in lieu of death duties.

Here come the pictures.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 08:53:50 PM by Maggi Young »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
Re: A visit to Lanhydrock House
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 08:35:44 PM »
Lanhydrock part 2

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 08:38:26 PM »
and finally Part 3

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 08:57:19 PM »
A lovely day out, David. Thank you for taking me with you... I feel the Cornish air has done me good ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 10:19:30 PM »
Thanks David
You had me worried in the beginnig with all the nice overview and I were thinking WHERE ARE THE FLOWERS?
And then They came  8)
Thanks a lot it is nice to see this excursions that people do. You do a interesting story about the place that makes it even more intersting.
Keep it up and keep posting
Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 11:59:20 PM »
My thanks too David. Even when one travels as far from home as the UK, one tends to visit the famous places like Kew/Wisley, Sissinghurst, Hidcote and many others of course and so misses out on what are truly wonderful places, just less well known. Perhaps their owners are grateful for that! Your own "jaunts" bring these closer and so provide another view of the English countryside, and a very welcome one. Keep jaunting, piccing, posting!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 10:09:42 AM »
Why was I working on Wednesday ???? >:(
Great show David, thanks for sharing !!! ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Susan

• Shoe Pixie
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2007, 05:08:05 AM »
Wonderful David, thank you.
Dunedin, New Zealand

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal