We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Alpine Walks in Valais  (Read 87033 times)

Gunilla

Re: Alpine Walks in Valais
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 06:36:16 PM »
Thanks Robin for bringing us along with you on your walks.   
Gunilla   Ekeby in the south of Sweden

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2009, 08:22:48 PM »
Robin,
I love those crocus meadows 8)
Thanks for showing.
Best wishes
Armin

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 11:14:07 PM »
Thanks for you interest Gunilla and Armin.....

it is great to share these sights on walks such as the crocus meadows which I have never seen to such an extent here before; they really are amazing, covering the whole area, but difficult to give the full impression in a photo.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 11:16:32 PM by Ragged Robin »
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 09:04:53 AM »
it is great to share these sights on walks such as the crocus meadows which I have never seen to such an extent here before; they really are amazing, covering the whole area, but difficult to give the full impression in a photo.
Stop it!!! You are making me very jealous ;)

Hristo

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 09:53:02 AM »
Hi RR, thanks for the posting of the Crocus vernus in the meadows, great to see, as many years ago whilst camping / walking in the mountains near Grenoble we were too late for the Crocus vernus by a week or two! Happy adventures!
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 10:21:43 AM »
Robin,

Thank you so much for showing me somewhere I will never see in person.  Meadows of wild crocus.....  :o :o :o :o :o  Beautiful. 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2009, 11:27:53 AM »
Glad you enjoyed the crocus meadow, Tony, Hristo and Paul - it's short lived but incredible - especially as every crocus form in itself is beautiful but en masse they peter out in to the distance like grains of rice  ;)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 11:31:11 AM by Ragged Robin »

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 01:38:11 AM »
great show! the mosses and lichens are a key part of our boreal forests here too--looking lively even during melts in late winter...
the crocus meadows and corydalis etc are great! our caltha might be just starting, barely--nothing full like the one you show; we try to pick some for mother's day, sometimes there isnt much yet....i havent had a chance to get out in the bush/wetplaces to look for flowers yet..busy digging...lol

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2009, 07:53:53 AM »
Cohan, I'm glad you like mosses and lichens - me too - would love to see some photos of yours locally when you take time off from digging  ??? Also it would be great to see some of your cacti and succulents - such amazing plants - the first one i grew as a child was an Aloe variagata and I still grow it today and give away it's babies to family and friends   :)

Also I'm a great user and believer in the powers of Aloe for healing - I'm known for the reponse 'put some aloe on it'  ;D

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2009, 10:23:41 AM »
Also it would be great to see some of your cacti and succulents - such amazing plants - the first one i grew as a child was an Aloe variagata and I still grow it today and give away it's babies to family and friends   :)

Also I'm a great user and believer in the powers of Aloe for healing - I'm known for the reponse 'put some aloe on it'  ;D

Snap! I still have a couple of little plants!

Mind you, nowadays I tend more to Arnica , especially in gel form, which is just amaxing for any surface skin damage and essential for any bruising, bumps.... wonderful stuff!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2009, 06:49:34 PM »
Not getting knocked about are you Maggi? ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2009, 07:38:47 AM »
Cohan, I'm glad you like mosses and lichens - me too - would love to see some photos of yours locally when you take time off from digging  ??? Also it would be great to see some of your cacti and succulents - such amazing plants - the first one i grew as a child was an Aloe variagata and I still grow it today and give away it's babies to family and friends   :)

i just havent got out in the bush that much this year--a couple reasons, i guess--most of my free time late winter was taken up sawing firewood! then, because there was more snow, and much later--getting around out there was more of a hassle, so i just didnt!
i will probably go out tomorrow, to see if i can find any Caltha for mother's day! not sure if there will be any, slow spring...
i have thought about posting some cactus flowers, but apart from hardy ones in the garden(just barely begun getting those) it seems so offtopic, not sure where/if to post any!

i've heard good things about arnica too, maggie, havent tried yet..

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2009, 08:51:01 AM »
There must be a rock garden topic in to which your plants can be shown, Cohan....what is the thing that fascinates you about them most?  For me it's survival in difficult conditions and that certainly fits in with things i've read in posts on the forum! :)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2009, 02:49:28 PM »
Cohan, just start a Cactus page in Flowering now!  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2009, 08:16:51 PM »
Cohan, just start a Cactus page in Flowering now!  8)

ok, will do!
now i am out to the bush/sloughs to look for flowering caltha or petasites for mother's day! wish me luck with this cold spring we have had!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal