We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Alpine Walks in Valais  (Read 87024 times)

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
Re: Alpine Walks in Valais
« Reply #390 on: May 13, 2010, 05:56:38 PM »
Glad you enjoyed the Crocus meadow photos Cohan - I'm still dreaming about them..... there were thousands there, especially concentrated in the dips and undulations and where there were cow pats  ;D

Away catching up with family and friends for quite a while and enjoying the English countryside  8)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #391 on: May 13, 2010, 10:38:53 PM »
Robin,
phantastic to see your crocus meadow images after I was off a couple of days 8) 8) 8)
Memories from 1992 came back when I saw my first crocus meadow in the Swiss. All these tiny white and blue croci flowers.
Since then I got infected by the crocus fever ;D
Best wishes
Armin

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #392 on: May 14, 2010, 11:33:01 AM »
I think I have caught the Crocus fever too Armin - an enjoyable fever to catch  8)

So glad you enjoyed the Crocus meadows  :D Where did you first see them in Switzerland?

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #393 on: May 14, 2010, 08:23:40 PM »
Robin,
I was returning from a business trip when I accidentally saw my first crocus meadows.
I remember it was the road (21 / E27) somewhere between Aosta (Italy) and Martigny (Swiss), a few kilometers after the Grand Saint-Bernard tunnel on the Swiss side. I stopped my car and climbed up to the mountains turf to relish the thousands of white and blue crocus flowers in the early afternoon sun.
I did not expect crocus to flower as it was already June. I was immediately fascinated and emotional caught by the beauty of that mountains turf and the scenery engraved in my head forever.
From that day on I've dreamed of to have my own crocus meadow. It lasted until spring 2006 until my first crocus flowered for me in my meadow. :D

Almost a year later, in May, I got emotional caught again when I saw thousands of Narcissus poeticus flowering on the mountains meadows near Montreux, Lake Geneva.
God bless these wunderful places in the Swiss!!! ;D
Best wishes
Armin

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #394 on: May 15, 2010, 06:26:28 PM »
Armin, what a great story of the best of Swiss flora and I hope it won't be too long before you return to see another genus - I'm hoping to see the Gentiana meadows next - it would be good to see you in Switzerland if you come our way  :D

goatshed

« Reply #395 on: May 18, 2010, 04:41:40 PM »
I've been enjoying your photos too! They bring back memories of a holiday many years ago, standing on a mountainside above the clouds in Stalden and Gspon (I think that's Vallais isn't it?). It was raining down in the valley but above the clouds there was sunshine and gentians - moments like those stick with you forever :) .
Creuse, France
-8C (occ.lower) to +35C. High rainfall except for summer.
Free draining gritty acid soil.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #396 on: May 18, 2010, 07:19:23 PM »
Gill, you are so right - it can be one sort of weather below the clouds and completely different above and one wouldn't have a clue - so you have to just go in hope and then, if you're lucky, alpine treasures  :D  Valais has some beautiful hidden secrets  :D

Stalden is is in the Visp area of Valais - they have built a tunnel through the mountain for a high speed train link to Zurich.

loes

« Reply #397 on: August 18, 2010, 07:38:32 PM »
Hi Robin,

never saw this topic before but I enjoyed seeing your pictures of Valais.
I have had many (10 at least)vacations there ,most of them in the little village Agarn near Sierre.I only went in summer and loved the mountains,and walks.Never saw the springflowers but they look fantastic. I `only`saw gentians and other alpine flowers near melting snow,so lovely.
I always go back every now and then,Valais is in my hart.
Loes de Groot
Haarlem
Holland

www.catteryvanhetzaanenbos.nl

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #398 on: August 18, 2010, 10:03:08 PM »
Hi Loes,

So pleased you enjoyed the Alpine Walks in Valais and I agree it is a lovely area, I do hope you'll return!  Where did you see the Gentians?  Do you have any photos?  Would love to hear more about your trip there.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 11:14:00 PM by Ragged Robin »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal