We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Podophyllum  (Read 31261 times)

Robin Callens

• Green Mile Nursery
Re: Podophyllum
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2009, 06:58:44 PM »
I did not know such a hybrid was possible.

Tony,

With Podophyllum species you can expect the unexpected: Podophyllum x inexpectatum, a hybrid between the asian P. pleianthum and the north american P. peltatum (pollen).

Robin
Robin Callens, Waregem, Belgium, zone 8

arisaema

« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2009, 09:12:27 PM »
Here's the other P. aurantiocaule; P. a ssp. furfuraceum:

Stephen Vella

« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2009, 11:29:28 PM »
Robin, facinating cross, does this one display the vigour and habit of P peltatum where it would send out runners?

Be interesting to see what other Asain sp will take on P peltatum.

I have an unusual asain Podophyllum, un named sp must post it on here before our frosts hit.

cheers
Stephen Vella, Blue Mountains, Australia,zone 8.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2009, 12:59:30 AM »
So many Podophyllums I have never seen before.  I rather like that hybrid.  Thanks all.

Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2009, 06:45:42 PM »
Almost in flower the Podophyllum received as veitchii and now thought to be delavayi. Here is a shot of leaves and almost opened flowers which are quite red. Prying inside it would appear the anthers extend beyond the stigma.

Thoughts?

johnw
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 06:48:28 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Robin Callens

• Green Mile Nursery
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2009, 10:50:29 PM »
Hi John,

No doubt this is P. delavayi. If you look inside the flower you will see that the stamens have a long free connective on top of the anther (the part of the stamen that bears the pollen) and are much longer than the ovary.

Robin
Robin Callens, Waregem, Belgium, zone 8

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2009, 07:31:38 AM »
John,

How stunning is that!!  :o  Both in leaf and in flower.  Beautiful!!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

arisaema

« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2009, 10:45:23 AM »
Flower of Podophyllum aurantiocaule ssp. furfuraceum.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2009, 01:15:05 PM »
Beautiful!  Love the framing of the picture too.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

arisaema

« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2009, 01:45:21 PM »
Thanks, Paul!  :) I don't grow ssp. aurantiocaule, but judging from pictures the petal/flower shape looks quite different?

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2009, 04:47:44 PM »
Robin some further pictures of my plants.On my return home I have another one in flower which I am calling mairei. This differs very much from my first one of this species. That had small pale pink flowers in a cup shape and this has large dark red ones also cup shaped but similar in colour to pleianthum/versipelle.

having looked at your pictures I can see little difference between pleianthum and versipelle and I would consider them variations of the same species. I am not a botanist but it seems that they have been split using very few specimens.We may have to disagree on this but that is part of the pleasure in growing plants.If we agreed every time the discussion would soon end.
The mairei you show is like the one I have just found in flower,my first photgraph. The rest of my pictures are the same four flowers from different angles. From left to right I am calling them,the first two on the left  pleianthum/versipelle and the second two on the right mairei.All four have the same type of leaf.

Thank you for your note on the hybrid.I was aware of this from Stearn's monograph but see my note below.

I think a further problem will now arise with home grown plants in that we are having a few very hot days and the plants are being visited by numerous flies.Therefore if it is a collection of different species like we, have the resulting seed is very likely to be hybrid. This is very likely how my possible hybrid has arisen as it is from my own seed.

photos of flower parts:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 05:26:11 PM by Maggi Young »
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Stephen Vella

« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2009, 05:57:45 AM »
Can anyone identify this Podophyllum from Chen Yi, they are both the same species as they came with the same ident numbers?

Thanks
Stephen Vella, Blue Mountains, Australia,zone 8.

arisaema

« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2009, 08:51:49 AM »
Stephen; It's P. difforme, or possibly a hybrid of it, it looks like the species but you'll know for sure when it flowers.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2009, 01:30:42 PM »
A very poor picture but as you can see the petals on my Podophyllum pleianthum are neither wider at the base nor the tip. The anthers extend beyond the stigma. So what now?

I did a few crosses last night and hope I have done some of them them in the correct direction.

delavayi (best)   x   versipelle MH  (doubtfully correct as no hairs on the pedicels, may be a hybrid or pleianthum so may get seed anyway)
pleianthum JW   x   versipelle MH (doubtfully correct as no hairs on the pedicels, may be a hybrid or pleianthum so may get seed anyway)
pleianthum JW   x   delavayi (best)
delavayi (best)   x   delavayi
delavayi   x   delavayi (best)

johnw
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 02:01:12 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2009, 04:46:37 PM »
John

I think we have the same problems with identification.My notes above are my doubts as to whether pleianthum and versipelle are separate species if we are deciding about hairs or not.

I have tried to pollinate mine by using similar flowers so as not to get crosses but they have been very attractive to flies and I have all mine planted closely together so if I get seed it will be interesting.Also be prepared for disappointment,they can produce lovely fruits that hang on for months and are then empty.

Can we see some of your leaves just to admire?
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal