We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Podophyllum  (Read 31219 times)

Roberto Gamoletti

Podophyllum
« on: April 02, 2009, 07:41:40 AM »
Dear friends
here the images of podophyllum peltatum? growm from seeds and emerging now with nice marbled young leaves

Roberto
Roberto Gamoletti from northern Italy

mickeymuc

Re: Podophyllum
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 11:49:29 AM »
Wow, Robin, this Paris is unbelievable !

My first ones appear in the first half of march, but as I don't have that many I can protect them with glass bells and the like - anyway the leaves don't seem to be too sensitive towards a little frost.

Roberto, I think you have sown P. hexandrum, they look just like my young plants of this species.

Cheers,

Michael
Michael

Dettingen (Erms), southwest Germany
probably zone 7 but warm in summer....

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 08:12:02 PM »
this page seems to involve podophyllum so I will post a couple of pictures and some information.

Here are two plants just starting into growth.The first illustrates the amazing colour that occurs in some of the leaves. In the epimedium book which covers podophyllum it says how unbelievable it is that the plant packs its flowers and leaves which are complex into the terminal bud in the autumn.The second picture shows it unfurling,leaves and flowers.

Last spring I only had two plants flower and this occured some five weeks apart. I took the stamens of one plant and put them in the fridge until the second one flowered and used them to pollinate it.This produced two berries one of which rotted.The second stayed on the plant for over four months with no visible sign of softening to show it was ripe.I cut this of at the end of October and extracted about 60 seeds.These have proved to be fertile and have now germinated.I think it was Dysosma delavayi
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Robin Callens

• Green Mile Nursery
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 08:21:20 PM »

Last spring I only had two plants flower and this occured some five weeks apart. I took the stamens of one plant and put them in the fridge until the second one flowered and used them to pollinate it.

Tony,

Were the two flowering plants different species?

Robin
Robin Callens, Waregem, Belgium, zone 8

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 09:53:29 PM »
Robin

no they were the same species. I think the flowering times may have been influenced by the light and water supply.One was in much deeper shade than the other.

Robin Callens

• Green Mile Nursery
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 08:52:10 PM »
Hi all,

Higher up in this topic (02/11/2008) I posted pics of cotyledons of Podophyllum species.
Here are some pictures of the same (+1) species, a season later with their first real leaf:

1) P. aurantiocaule
2) P. difforme
3) P. mairei
4) P. pleianthum
and P. delavayi

At this stage I normally pot up the Podophyllum seedlings.

Robin

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 09:31:45 PM »
Robin

very interesting to see these.It would appear that auranticaule,mairei, and pleianthum are very similar in their young stages.I will be interested to see mature plants to see the differences.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 08:30:41 AM »
Robin,

Oh the leaves on difforme:o  Super!!  I only dimly recall the species, but do they remain looking like that as they mature?  And those lovely leaves on the delaveyi.  Would be a pleasure to grow those just for the leaves along, but then the flowers are so cool as well.  ;D   Excellent pics, and valuable information for those growing Paris from seed.  Here, I'm wanting spring to hurry up in some ways, so that I can hopefully get some Paris seed germination from your seed you sent me earlier this year.  ;D  But then I don't want to skip all the Galanthus and other lovelies, so I don't really want spring to hurry up.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 08:32:26 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 01:09:01 PM »
I wonder if someone can these two Podophyllum (Dysosma). I can re-post when they are a bit more developed.

Picture #1 & #2 was tentatively labelled veitchii (?) and #3 as pleianthum.

thanks

johnw
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 02:20:31 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Robin Callens

• Green Mile Nursery
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 09:10:03 PM »
John,

I think your podos are labelled correctly.

Robin

Robin Callens

• Green Mile Nursery
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 09:18:44 PM »
Hi all,

Here are some pics of mature Podos, from seed sown in 2003.

1) Podophyllum pleianthum
2) Podophyllum delavayi (= veitchii)
3) Podophyllum hybrid (difforme x delavayi pollen) on the left and P. difforme on the right.

Robin

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 10:56:46 PM »
Robin,

OK, that confirms it... I have to grow delaveyi and difforme.  ;D  Spectacular leaves!!!!!!!!!  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 02:49:28 AM »
John,

I think your podos are labelled correctly.

Robin

Robin   - Your Galanthus & Podophyllum postings have my head spinning, green vertigo.

Thanks for the identification confirmations.  Just found another Podophyllum - we had Spotty Dotty and Kaleidoscope (where do these two fit in the genus?) but lost one of them and the label on the survivor, may require your assistance later.

By the way, a friend who gave a talk here last month said he bought a dwarf P. pleianthum in the UK last year, I'm not certain if it was ex a propagation or just one very lucky purchase.

Will pleianthum cross with veitchii or hexandrum?

Did you produce your own Podophyllum seed or was it purchased?

Shots of two veitchii from Philip McD.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 03:40:08 AM »
Spectacular, John.  Very nice!!  :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Robin Callens

• Green Mile Nursery
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 08:54:36 PM »
we had Spotty Dotty and Kaleidoscope (where do these two fit in the genus?

John,

I think both are P. delavayi x difforme hybrids. They show characteristics of both species.

Will pleianthum cross with veitchii or hexandrum?

I have one young hybrid veitchii(delavayi) x pleianthum. I tried to cross P. hexandrum with pleianthum several times without success. It's also possible to cross P. peltatum with P. pleianthum and delavayi. The cross between P pleianthum and P peltatum (pollen) has been successfully made by Jim McClements and is called P x inexpectatum, a very nice plant.

Did you produce your own Podophyllum seed or was it purchased?

All my Podophyllums are grown from seed produced by my own plants.

Robin

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal