We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: A visit to Lukesland Garden  (Read 2799 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
A visit to Lukesland Garden
« on: March 18, 2007, 04:52:03 PM »
Having been incarcerated for the last couple of days owing to a cracked rib and feeling a little "stir crazy" we decided to visit Lukesland Garden today see www.lukesland.co.uk

Lukesland is only about a half hour walk from where I live but given my delicate constitution at the moment we drove up. It is a 24 acre woodland garden with a wonderful array of camellias,azealeas,rhododendron and magnolias as well as Primulas etc. The garden opens annually from the beginning of April to mid June, but this year theere was something special and the garden is opening on Sundays for the moment. A magnificant Magnolia campbellii is in full flower. The tree was planted in 1936 and has attained a height of some 19 meters and a diameter of 55 centimeters (there I go using "new money" measurements!!). Some Camellias were out and also some Rhododendron but the full flush will come a little later.

Some pictures below, the Magnolia was too big for me to capture it in one full shot without needing to be somewhat more agile than I am able to be at the moment.

The first two are general views of the streams that wander throughout the garden

Then four Camellia shots

A Daff- can anyone ID it?

A Rhodo.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: A visit to Lukesland Garden
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 04:59:17 PM »
And a few more:-

Magnolia campbellii-right hand side
    "              "      left     "      "
    "              "     -top spread

A Rhodo

Another magnolia in full bloom

A Rhodo upclose

The Web Site www.lukesland.co.uk does have a shot of the Magnolia campbellii that is probably better than I could manage

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 05:09:20 PM »
Another ooooooooooh David !
Luke being the English way of writing my name, I would willfully accept Lukesland as my own  ;D
Great show David and great pictures as well !
Thanks for letting us in !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 05:12:20 PM »
Certainly worth a look David.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 09:21:22 PM »
I take it you mean the trunk has a diameter of 55cms, not the tree, otherwise I'd suggest you go back to the old money David. ::)

Wonderful trees though and great pics all round. I hope you continue with these walks and visits through the spring and summer.

About Magnolia campbellii.... well, perhaps later.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal