We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Rhodo Seedlings & Culture  (Read 1813 times)

nicheplanthead

Rhodo Seedlings & Culture
« on: April 21, 2009, 03:38:08 PM »
Those are some of my potted up seedlings I started under lights over winter.

Was wondering if any of you know what is the normal expected germination time from sowing or normal range one lets seed to germinate. After 2.5 months I abandoned my seed tray. I now thinking that some species may require more time to germinate?

The picture are seedlings that have leafed out and being exposed to daylight to free my light area for veggies etc. At 800pm I bring them in the garage as the over night temperature approaches 0C and am afraid of them losing their leaves as now in the garden have leafed out. 

Stuart
Stuart Hechinger
Beaconsfield
Quebec
Canada
-25C
25"/year

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Rhodo Seedlings & Culture
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 11:09:37 PM »
Heavens yes, at least 6 months and maybe another 6 depending on where the seed comes from and whether it's fresh. I never throw out ANY seed pot under 2 years.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

nicheplanthead

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 12:32:44 AM »
Well these were started under lights on sphagnum moss, this gives me time to pot up here when everything is still frozen outside.  I would have to keep them wet and keep checking the basement when I'm starting to do things outside now. I could keep some in a baggie under lights. 

Do you find that rhodo seed need exposure to light to germinate?

Sowing between granite grit would do the trick if that was the case.

Stuart
Stuart Hechinger
Beaconsfield
Quebec
Canada
-25C
25"/year

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 04:25:21 AM »
I shouldn't be surprised if they need light. The seed is so fine and light that it would, in nature, just float around on the surface of things. I'd certainly never cover such seed with compost or grit, just sow on top and let it find its own level by filtering.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal