We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Visit to Dunge Valley Garden and Lea Rhododendron Garden  (Read 1425 times)

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
Visit to Dunge Valley Garden and Lea Rhododendron Garden
« on: April 25, 2009, 10:28:14 AM »
Last Thursday Pam and I went to the above gardens. The first is located near Whaley Bridge in the pennines and the second Near Matlock in Derbyshire. The gardens are different Dunge being in a secluded and small valley high up in the hills with a stream. The second is built on a SW facing hill also with wonderful views. Both are lovely gardens to visit but have different character Dunge is trying to capture a bit of the the Himalayas while Lea is on a hillside with a labrinth of paths and quite exotic in that there are so many Rhodos of all sorts growing together. It was quite overwhelming even though I have been before
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 08:55:07 AM by ian mcenery »
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
Re: Visit to Dunge Valley Garden and Lea Rhododendron Garden
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 10:39:38 AM »
here are a few from Lea

Hristo

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 06:54:43 PM »
Ian, thanks for posting those pics from your outings, the Dunge Valley pics are my favourite, it's great to see the composition and structure of such mature planting.
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 10:51:35 PM »
Ian, thanks for posting those pics from your outings, the Dunge Valley pics are my favourite, it's great to see the composition and structure of such mature planting.

Thanks Chris I agree that the garden I would most like of the two would be Dunge because it reminds me more of the how these plants grow in nature. Even more so when you visit and see how this little oasis existsin such an otherwise barren landscape. Lea is still worth a visit for the sheer volume of plant and flower power
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 10:53:11 PM by ian mcenery »

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 11:00:46 PM »
I have never heard of Dunge Valley but it is growing rhododendrons the way I like to see them.  To me, they should be seen in a wild setting rather than a formal one.  If I ever get down that way, I will have to give it a good look.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal