We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bark Fines  (Read 4399 times)

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
Bark Fines
« on: March 14, 2009, 04:52:48 PM »
Hi, Just wandering if anyone knows a supplier for 'bark fines' in Shropshire/West Midlands as my old source has dried up.

Dave

Gerry Webster

Re: Bark Fines
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 07:09:07 PM »
Dave - is this the fine bark used in potting composts? If so try Googling "Cambark Fine" -  there seem to be several suppliers. I use it & get it from a horticultural wholesale merchant (Fargro) in Littlehampton. Presumably there are  similar suppliers in the West Midlands. Alternatively, phone a local nursery & ask where they get theirs - this is how I discovered it.
Good luck!
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Martinr

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 07:13:02 PM »
Ashwood Nurseries stock Cambark fine although you often have to ask at the tills.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 07:22:37 PM »
Dave, is Tetbury, Gloucestershire too far for you to travel, if not try Melcourt at their production site, link below

http://www.melcourt.co.uk/melframe.html?http%3A//www.melcourt.co.uk/about/melmap/stockists/melcourt.htm

It's the stupidest Web Site I've ever come across, seems impossible to navigate around the Site. I was trying to track down some Cambark Fine on the Web the other evening. No one appears to stock it in Devon/Cornwall but found it available mail order from Kayes at some thing like £21 for a couple of bags delivered.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 07:28:59 PM »
Apparently not for long as Gem who did market Cambark fine have been taken over by Sinclair who do not list it in their current Catalogue.

What I did find on the Melcourt site which looks promosing is but have not found any suppliers yet, I'll give Ashwood a call on Monday:-

http://www.melcourt.co.uk/melframe.html?http%3A//www.melcourt.co.uk/amenity/prodsel/soilcomp/amprd20.htm

Dave

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 07:53:42 PM »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 07:57:31 PM »
Thanks David, I may well go for that but will give Ashwood a call first as they are only down the road.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 05:36:45 PM »
Called Ashwood Nursery today and they were as helpful and friendly as they always are. It makes such a difference coming off the phone after talking to someone pleasant who actually knows what they are talking about.

Anyway they no longer sell Cambark fine as it does not exist anymore as Sinclair who took over from Gem are no longer producing it :( Good news was they do stock Melcourt Fine at £4.85 per 75ltr bag. Its also cheaper if you buy multiple bags.

Dave

Martinr

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 05:44:53 PM »
Thanks for that Dave, now I know what to ask for when I make my regular pilgrimage for bark and Lewisias!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal