We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lily Beetle  (Read 10097 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Lily Beetle
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2010, 10:50:29 PM »
After reading about the lily beetle a late winter/early spring drench of Dursban, if you can find it, should sort out hibernating adults. This chemical will also kill Narcissus fly grubs. The active ingredient is chlorpyrifos which is also available as itself. A litre costs under £20 from agriultural suppliers http://home.howstuffworks.com/question440.htm
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2010, 11:33:36 AM »
They are in N Ireland also but as far as I know in County Down only.

What is the life cycle and what do they do during the winter?
In early spring I sometimes find them in the debris where Lilies grew in the previous summer. Like so many other insects they seem to hibernate in the topsoil.
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

PDJ

« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2010, 04:59:21 PM »
After reading about the lily beetle a late winter/early spring drench of Dursban, if you can find it, should sort out hibernating adults. This chemical will also kill Narcissus fly grubs. The active ingredient is chlorpyrifos which is also available as itself. A litre costs under £20 from agriultural suppliers http://home.howstuffworks.com/question440.htm

Dursban according to the EPA is linked to a number of serious health problems as given in the link.   http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/Issue/pn67/pn67p18a.htm  If you need to deal with Lily Beetle I find Provado Ultimate kills lily beetle easily enough.
Paul

West Midlands, England, UK

wooden shoe

« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2010, 09:17:51 PM »
I have just seen the first lily beetle. It wasn't going to be a good year for this individual, I hope his friends are warned.
Rob - central Nederland Zone 7b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2010, 10:01:14 PM »
I have just seen the first lily beetle. It wasn't going to be a good year for this individual, I hope his friends are warned.
Ha! Now we know what the wooden shoes are used for, Rob!  ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2010, 02:24:56 PM »
I think we have destroyed about 40 so far of the little blighters,up considerably from last year
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

hayley

« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2010, 02:02:29 PM »
I spray with Provado and on the ones that get away we sometimes play a game ,the children get 10p for everyone they squash .The beetles are culled and the children  are happy

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2010, 02:26:56 PM »
...... on the ones that get away we sometimes play a game ,the children get 10p for everyone they squash .The beetles are culled and the children  are happy

Aha! A work/productivity incentive scheme for children in the garden.... I like it! ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2010, 04:14:42 PM »
Have'nt seen any so far over here...  :D  have to remain vigilant though...  ::)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2010, 09:38:40 AM »
Killed three yesterday. Not on lilies. they are hardly up. I found them in the debris on the ground near lilies.
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2010, 11:34:29 AM »
Hayley 10p what an incentive,when the sons were younger,a while ago now, I used to pay 1p for every Dandelion flower they collected,   :o     ah well thats inflation for you
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2010, 05:40:37 PM »
Have'nt seen any so far over here...  :D  have to remain vigilant though...  ::)

Spoke to bluntly...  :-[ :-[ - killed 4 this morning !  ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2010, 12:10:30 AM »
I spray with Provado and on the ones that get away we sometimes play a game ,the children get 10p for everyone they squash .The beetles are culled and the children  are happy

Sounds like a sensible idea Hayley but it backfired on me some years ago when I first moved to Dunedin and into a house whose small garden had a couple of snails nestling on the roughcast wall. I offered the neighbour's children 10 cents for each they could put in a bucket. Over a couple of weeks they found enough to fill two buckets. Cost me a fortune. After that I started throwing the snails out onto the road where cars ran over them. In a few days the whole area smelled of rotting meat. :o If I hadn't gone through these two grizzly exercises I doubt if gardening would have been possible.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

hayley

« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2010, 11:54:00 AM »
The bonus of them only being 6 and 7 they dont always realise they get 2 at once  ;D
Its horrid realy but they realy enjoy hunting for them and its well worth a few pound for them to add to their money box , i win in the end as it get the job done and they can spend their own money when we eventually get a holiday

The things they do at times  ::),the other day they put a snail on the shed door knob while i was potting up and they were seeing who could make it dizzy ,spinning the handle from the other side seeing who could do it the quickest .I did have to stop them when i found them poking its eyes every time i dared show its head from the shell .I do like them destroyed but i dont realy go for the long torture process

I dare not tell them what we used to do as children to dandy long legs !!!!!!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal