We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula April 2009  (Read 24369 times)

Giles

• Prince of Primula
Re: Primula April 2009
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 01:51:57 PM »
Very nice, Wim. Your P.hirsuta valcuvianensis is a bit different to mine! I'll wait 'til its out a bit more before posting.
Some others:
P.rosea (cheap and cheerful, the sort of pink that glows in the dark).
P. gracilipes (just starting)
P. magasaefolia (Ian Christie dug it up from his garden for me last June, and it has been in flower continuously since)
In one of the cold frames.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
Re: Primula April
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2009, 02:21:27 PM »
This is Primula 'Johanna' in a large trough.
Anne, is Primula 'Johanna' hardy - would it survive alpine winters?  It looks so relaxed and pretty against the rock in your trough
Robin, Primula 'Johanna' is named for the daughter of Henrik Zetterlund of Gothenburg Botanic Garden who made the hybrid. It is a cross between P. warshenewskiana and P. clarkei.  These species come from the north west Himalayas and so are pretty hardy!
The plant is not so easy to find these days  .....it has always been said by Henrik that the plant does best out of doors and split regularly to keep it robust and flowering well.
Thanks for all the info Maggi - I think it's a beauty to be sought after and I have taken note of Anne's comments too. 
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2009, 05:24:15 PM »
Lovely sight in your frame Giles.

Wim, did you expect your Primula hirsuta ssp. valcuvianensis to be that colour, or was it a surprise?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2009, 05:30:44 PM »
David,

I expected it to look like that although I find it having a bit more blue in it's colour then the ones I see photographed on the net.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 06:04:43 PM »
This is what mine looks like at the moment....
also P. warshenewskiana - as it is SO pink.

johanneshoeller

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2009, 07:10:01 PM »
These are my P. hirsuta ssp. v. (Mte. Nudo, Italy) - older pics. Nearly all flowers have the same colour.
They seem to be a little difficult to grow for a long time. So you must grow them from seeds or repot often.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 07:12:05 PM by johanneshoeller »
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

johanneshoeller

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2009, 05:38:03 PM »
Primula marginata (Italy)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 05:43:09 PM by johanneshoeller »
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2009, 08:21:25 PM »
Hans,
your P. marginata is suberb 8)
Best wishes
Armin

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2009, 08:26:36 PM »
Lovely P. marginata Hans.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2009, 09:07:01 PM »
A few more Primulas from the greenhouse today.

The first couple are of Primula auricula. Last year Hans Hoeller in Austria sent me a batch of cuttings from the wild Primulas he grows, (thank you Hans), and these are the first two to flower. I always think that the colour of Primula auricula takes a lot of beating in the plant world.

Next is a primula allionii hybrid 'Wharfedale Crusader'

Primula marginata 'White Linda Pope' nowadays seems to be called 'White Lady'. This one I originally bought as the proper 'Linda Pope'!

This one is the real Primula marginata 'Linda Pope' which some would say is a hybrid.

To finish Primula allionii x 'Aire Mist'. I'm fairly certain there is a botanical name for this particular plant but I can't find it.

As a grower of lots of Primula cultivars it is becoming more and more difficult to keep track of whether plants are, for example, marginata selections or marginata hybrids and it is just the same in the case of Primula allionii. Room for a new book here someone.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2009, 09:18:06 PM »
David,
nice primulas!
I'm sad I lost my auricula after 5 years. Finally, did not like my heavy, loamy soil of my garden:'(
Best wishes
Armin

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2009, 10:56:48 PM »
Lovely shots, David.  I really like that auricula, and White Linda Pope is very nice too!
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2009, 11:35:18 PM »
Primula farinosa (or is it frondosa?) and Primula auricula.  Both raised from seed sent here by Franz Hadacek.  Thanks Franz!

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2009, 09:44:27 AM »
Wow, there seems a real momentum building up on this thread now.
Tony, your P. auricula is particularly juicy - the rounded petal margins, and lack of paste around the corolla tube, being particularly classy.
I posted a pic of P.scapigera (a plant supposedly not in cultivation) with a single flower on, which I got from Cluny last year, and can now post
a much improved pic - it turned out quite a decent species.
Also a minute 'P.aureata fimbriata' (about 2cm diameter) picked up at Kevock a while back - again a supposedly impossible species down here which grows easily in my primula alley.
The 3rd one is P. sessilis, not much at the moment, but may get better later I guess. (from Lamberton, again supposedly not in cultivation).
4 thly a little collection of petiolarids, just to show what's out now.
(PP's bracteosa, scapigera, sonchifolia,sessilis, gracilipes,sinuata)

Tony I have no idea what your mystery primula is, I've pots full of little mauve jobs like that, all incorrectly labelled!

I've just realised I've been given a 'label' (!!)   You flatter me enormously, Maggi, and I love it!

Pete Clarke

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2009, 08:27:06 PM »
Primula petiolaris. (Nice species from Ian McEnery.)
Birmingham, Midlands, UK

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal