We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: April 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 5067 times)

Ray

Re: April 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 01:29:51 PM »
Just a few pics from the South,don't know why the lily and poppy are flowering at this moment but I don't mind.bye Ray

Colchicum lusitanicum algeriense
 Colchicum micranthum
 Gladiolus sp.
 IMG_0651
 Oriental Poppy
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 02:45:35 PM by Maggi Young »
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2009, 04:03:35 AM »
Nice, Ray.  Do you know which Poppy that is?  Nice strong pink to it by the look of it?

Here's a couple of things flowering now here as well.... 

Habranthus tubispathus var rosea
Nerine humilis

« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 12:07:47 PM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2009, 04:44:42 AM »
Howdy All,

A couple of today's flowering things.....

Colchicum cupanii, or should I put this in the Colchicum topic?

Ipheion hirtellum, this one came to me from Fermi.  I posted a pic last month I think of another that I was trying to identify.  it is definitely different in markings at the very least to this one from Fermi.  Fermi's has much stronger markings on the outside, and as the bud emerges from the spathe it is all dark, whereas the other one emerges looking yellow.  If they ARE the same thing then they are different colour forms at the least. 
Previous post here: http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=3135.msg83987#msg83987

And lastly ..... Nerine filifolia, another of the little species in flower for me at the moment.  There are also buds on numerous of the bigger hybrids, plus on N. pudica, undulata and flexuosa alba at the very least.  Flowers are still out on N. rosea and N. humilis is still opening more and more flowers each day.

Enjoy.  8)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 05:50:57 PM by Maggi Young »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2009, 11:23:46 PM »
Paul,
wow :o! Fine Habranthus tubispathus var rosea. 8)

Best wishes
Armin

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2009, 11:27:34 PM »
Armin,

Best flowering it has ever done for me, by a LOOOONG way.  6 inch pot that they're growing in has close to 20 flowers up.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2009, 11:30:44 PM »
Thanks for the link Maggi.  Looking at them between pages you can really see the differences in proportions of the stamens/flowers and the different petal shape.  Does anyone know whether these ARE just different variants of the same species, or do I have two different things?  Fermi's I got under the name hirtellum, the other was given to me and as far as she could remember they were hirtellum.  They are rather different, so I really am not sure.  Flowering time is close enough to not be a problem, so they could just be different forms?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2009, 12:13:49 PM »
A couple of flowers in my garden at the moment.....

This pink Kohleria is MUCH deeper and brighter in person.  It glows a deep pink.  Such a cool and fuzzy flower though.  I just love the Gesneriad family. ;D

And this Sternbergia greuteriana appeared in the mail last week and appears to have settled in quite happily in it's new home.  This flower opened over the weekend, and it appears that the previous flower that was out while in the mail has already set seed.  Not a bad thing I think.  Thanks Otto!!  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2009, 12:58:28 AM »
First flowers on Cyclamen mirabile from AGS Seedex 2005, first germination 29-06-2007,
124122-0

124124-1
And a nerine hybrid which is possibly the one called "Ariel" but that might be apocryphal ;D as the label is lost.
124126-2
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2009, 12:34:15 PM »
Howdy All,

A couple of things in flower here at the moment.....

125491-0
Evolvulus 'Blue Daze, something I had never heard of before buying this.  Superficially a bit like a Convulvulus but different.  Beautiful blue flowers.

125493-1
Oxalis carnosa

125495-2
Oxalis furcillata

125497-3
Stenoglottis longifolia, a terrestrial orchid.  While you may think at first that I have over-sharpened the image and pixillated it a bit... all those little bumps and lines and dots etc are in the texture of the flower.  It is quite stunning up close.

125499-4
And lastly, a few of my Lithops are flowering at the moment, somewhat later than they really should be.  Nice to have some flowers on them, even if it is late.

Enjoy.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2009, 05:08:51 PM »
Autumn's looking very colourful for you folks, lovely.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2009, 04:17:13 AM »
Just noticed the first flowers on a rather tall spikey Hakea at our front door - H. sauvolens,
125947-0

125949-1
Another seedling raised Cyclamen graecum has come into bloom
125951-2

Another Cyclamen mirabile from the same patch of seed as the one in reply #22, comparing it in size to that one,
125953-3
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

A visit to Mt Macedon
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2009, 06:22:56 AM »
On Sunday we went to visit a friend, Cathy Newing, who lives near Mt Macedon;her garden is a lot greener than ours!
A water tub is filled with interesting foliage shapes,
125955-0

including this Ranunculus
125957-1

with dissected foliage,
125959-2

A potful of Vallota lily, Cyrtanthus elatus,
125961-3

A Loropetalum chinensis, perhaps "China Pink"?
125967-4

125969-5
And in her gravel bed a patch of Crocus specious "Oxonian" is spreading out,
125963-6

125965-7
Later some pics from the Mount.
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

A visit to Mt Macedon
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2009, 06:58:59 AM »
We went up to Mt Macedon to a private garden called "Sefton" where the annual "Artanica" sculpture display was being held.
Here are some highlights!
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2009, 07:27:02 AM »
Fermi,

Glorious colour on that orange maple, and I rather like the look of that Myrtus at the end.  Interesting flowers!!

Does your Cyclamen mirabile have two plants in it, because it looks like two different leaf forms in there?  Nice pink on the more silvery one.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2009, 01:46:31 AM »
Fermi,
Glorious colour on that orange maple, and I rather like the look of that Myrtus at the end.  Interesting flowers!!
Hi Paul,
here's a closer look at the flowers,
126251-0
Does your Cyclamen mirabile have two plants in it, because it looks like two different leaf forms in there?  Nice pink on the more silvery one.
Well spotted, Paul, I repotted the 4 smallest tubers in a single pot and the nice pink leaf is on a non-flowering one.
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal