We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: News from SRGC President Ian J. Christie  (Read 6526 times)

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
News from SRGC President Ian J. Christie
« on: November 21, 2006, 08:43:39 PM »
In case some of you have missed the post on the old forum pages or have not seen Ian's Presidents' Introduction on the SRGC site, I will give you this link to follow to read his words :
http://www.srgc.org.uk/general/intro.html

Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
Re: News from SRGC President Ian J. Christie
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 08:51:00 PM »
I will post here the additonal report from President Ian on his trip to the AGS AGM.
Congratulations again to our new President Ian Christie and the newly elected President ofthe AGS, Mr Frank Tindall.
Ian Christie writes on a Presidents' Get Together :
"Presidents get together.
I made the journey on Friday to attend the A.G.S. Annual General Meeting in Solihull on Saturday 11th November. A little bedraggled after contending with traffic towards the end of the drive I nevertheless arrived safely at the venue on Friday evening  to be met by president elect Frank Tindall.   
I thoroughly enjoyed an evening meal and chat with Frank and thank both Frank and the A.G.S. for their generous hospitality.   
We both agreed to try our best to bring about an even stronger friendship between the SRGC and AGS, sharing as we do, a large core of members. If both societies are in close contact perhaps we can attract a higher attendance at venues.  I am convinced that we can rise to the challenge. I know Frank is approachable, forward looking, enthusiastic and a dedicated lover of plants.   
On behalf of and as the newly elected President of the S.R.G.C. we look forward to working with Frank and The Alpine Garden Society.

On Saturday the A.G.M. business was chaired by President John Richards.  Frank was duly elected and presented John with a Lawrence Greenwood painting of a superb Primula in appreciation of his services to the A.G.S. over the past three years, a fitting tribute recognising his in-depth work with the genus Primula.   

I was delighted to receive not only the Farrer Memorial Medal but honoured to be presented with The Kath Dryden Award for work with the genus Meconopsis.   Kath is one of the most remarkable plants-women of this and the last century, a true friend and an inspiration to us all.

After lunch I decided to head home early to try and avoid the traffic; once again I thank everyone and congratulate all AGS members on the election of Frank Tindall as their President."
Ian Christie, SRGC President

« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 09:00:31 PM by Ian Y »
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Alpinejan

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2006, 08:05:17 PM »
TO Ian Christy :
A vision from the Lowlands;( might be coincidental, but it looks to me that the upper rocker of the rockgardeners is  a male, always named Ian).  I congratulate you with the nice job you have chosen to fullfil  Ian  C,as successor of Ian B. I wish you + the rockers lots of succes. I share my forename with the Tony Blair of the Netherlands,so my ambition is FOUNDING A POLITICAL PARTY THAT IS ENCOURAGING GARDENING IN GENERAL AND ROCKGARDENING IN DRY SOIL BUT UNDER SEALEVEL IN PARTICULAR. For real ambition 1 (one ) life is to short, but it would please me enormous to hear your (I hope very unserious, non political) comment to my ideal! A propos, If the Good Lord allows us I would like to meet you in Beroun  (Chech Republic) next May and introduce you to a Zdenek , who is very interrested in SSSE codes. Greeting all Ians ,
Alpinejan (jan schep)
Motto : Visit the Dutch Mountains!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 10:56:39 PM »
" might be coincidental, but it looks to me that the upper rocker of the rockgardeners is  a male, always named Ian"

Aha, Jan, so you noticed that! We thought no-one would realise, especially when the latest President Ian, (President Ian the Third) has no beard... we hoped that was enough of a change to disguise the line of succession. Luckily, all these Ians are excellent men and none were really chosen for their name.... honest!  Maybe we should try another sneaky move next time, and have President Jan, instead?
Kind regards,  from Mrs  President Ian First !!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 03:00:49 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alpinejan

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 09:26:17 AM »
Maggy,
Even overhere we hide the ambitions about whatever Chair one would like to occupy,but I 'll sacrifice almost everything for the sake of ( Dutch ) rockgardening!
More wise (I hope ) than ambitious,
jan schep

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 08:23:01 PM »
Hi Alpine Jan, I think Plants are far more interesting than Politicians as one they can't read books, do not put up your taxes and are more P.C than any Government ministers, one thing is sure Plants can cost as much as any Minister but I still love them all ( the plants that is) cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 11:23:07 PM »
Hi Jan

Isn't Jan the Dutch eqivalent of Ian? If it is perhaps you too could become head rocker.

From another Ian - they get everywhere
« Last Edit: November 27, 2006, 11:36:35 PM by Maggi Young »
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 08:42:37 AM »
What's the feminine form of 'Ian'? :P
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Sandy Leven

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 05:24:03 PM »
Hi David
Since Ian [Iain] is the gaelic form of John then Johanna could be the female form of Ian.
There is apparently a name for a girl Iana.

I know that in the Western Isles the custom was often to name a baby after a deceased relation. If the deceased was male like Hugh, Donald, James, Andrew they just added 'ina' [kind of like Ian. don't you think?] to the name and got Hughina, Donaldina, Jamesina, Andrewina. So of the baby girl was needing an Ian type name perhaps she would be Ianina or Janina.

[Incidentally this name 'Janina' when spelt whith a 'J' instead of an 'I' as Janina, is the name given to a super duper, all singing, all dancing tooth paste. It prevents decay, brightens your smile, cures bad breath, gives you healthy gums, polishes your fillings, adds fluoride to your tooth enamel and therbye makes it stonger. I believe it also helps to add missing calcium from the enamel matrix and reverse decay. I have little doubt it would work wonders on rock garden plants.]
Sandy in Dunblane, Perthshire, Scotland

Sandy Leven

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 05:27:27 PM »
Janina Toothpaste

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 08:19:13 PM »
Mr Leven, Sir, I guess that you will give us all a tube of this new toothpaste instead of those dreadfull sticky Easter eggs that we sometimes get at the Stirling show.  ;D  (I hope for the Easter egg)Ian Christie.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Sandy Leven

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 08:25:47 PM »
The Easter Eggs cost about 35p. The toothpaste costs £9. Which do you think we will be giving away?
Perhaps the SRGC should have a healthy eating, sugar free, no junk food policy and then we could give away toothpaste.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal