We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Colchicum ID  (Read 3884 times)

Ray

Colchicum ID
« on: March 28, 2009, 10:08:56 AM »
Could someone ID these Colchicum's for me thanks Ray
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Colchicum ID
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 10:53:32 AM »
Ray,

First one is almost certainly 'The Giant', which is sold here in Aus as Colchicum byzantinum but is a much larger variant.  Multiplies very well, flowers prolifically etc.  The second one I will have to go through my pics to try to identify.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Ray

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 11:14:44 AM »
Hi Paul,The giant rings a bell,but i also have byzantinium,is flowering size the only difference.bye Ray
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 11:20:48 AM »
Ray,

Size and a bit of difference to the shape.  Unforunately most of what is sold as byzantinum in Aus is 'The Giant'.  The species itself if much more goblet shaped and far more elegant than TG, although I have rarely actually seen the true byzantinum in person and have never flowered it myself.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 12:49:53 AM »
Look in Colchicums 2009 (I think). Maggi says the one whose ID I wanted is byzantinum.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 02:10:35 PM »
Paul , as far as I know :C. 'The Giant' has always been sold here as such, it is the largest flowered Colch. I know , and clumps up fast . C .byzantinum is a smaller flower with narrower segments ,I can send you a bulb of the rarer byzantinum album , if you are interested , also a handful of Scilla bithynica.

Ray  , your smaller Colch. looks like corsicum , it selfsows abundantly in my garden,
          Otto.
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Ray

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 08:47:36 AM »
Hi Otto,Colchicum corsicum self seeds,I wish. thanks for the ID bye Ray
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 10:56:43 PM »
Otto,

Every Colchicum byzantinum that I have ever brought commercially has been 'The Giant', but never named as such.  I had grown it for years before I ever found out it was not the actual species it was labelled as, but rather a "giant" cultivar.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

arillady

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 11:21:29 AM »
Just the right subject heading I needed!
This is an old colchicum I have grown for years. Always wondered what it is.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

arillady

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 11:24:37 AM »
By the way the bees were bedding down for the night. They must do the pollinating like native bees in the oncocyclus habitat in Israel do too. Find a bed for the night where they get the morning sun early - the early bee gets the pollen ??? :-\
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 11:41:47 AM »
So they actually sleep in the flower, Pat?  Cool!! 8)  The white stripe in the centre reminds me of Colchicum atropurpureum, but I think it looks like the flowers are a bit larger than that species?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

arillady

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 06:52:34 AM »
I know the native bees visit a few onco flowers in their habitat before they find the one that they want to sleep in -there was a good paper written on it that appeared in an ASI Yearbook a couple of years back. Not sure if the bees in the colchicums were staying the night but they seemed to be settled and when poked were not interested in leaving their beds and the light was disappearing fast that evening so I wouldn't be surprised.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 05:50:18 AM »
Otto asked me to post this pic for him to try to get an ID.
It was grown from JJA Seed 2002 as Colchicum troodii (= C. decaisnei) collected Hatay, Turkey.
119736-0
But he feels it isn't C. decaisnei and wonders if it might be C. cilicicum becuse of the pale line down the middle of the tepals?
cheers
fermi on behalf of Otto.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 10:00:20 AM by Maggi Young »
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2009, 09:32:45 PM »

Pat this looks like what I too was wondering about and Maggi says is probably Colchicum byzantinum, an ancient hybrid which has been around for hundreds of years. Mark in Ireland reckoned it could be C. tenorii but I doubt if mine is as it came from the remains of a garden at least 130 years old. Mine is lankier than yours but is in 3/4 shade and pushing though a mat of violets.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 09:35:09 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2009, 09:40:29 PM »

Pat this looks like what I too was wondering about and Maggi says is probably Colchicum byzantinum, an ancient hybrid which has been around for hundreds of years. Mark in Ireland reckoned it could be C. tenorii but I doubt if mine is as it came from the remains of a garden at least 130 years old. Mine is lankier than yours but is in 3/4 shade and pushing though a mat of violets.

They both look a lot like Otto's perhaps C. cilicicum, though, don't they?  :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal