We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hermodactylus tuberosus  (Read 14891 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Hermodactylus tuberosus
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »
You wouldn't have joined the Worshipful Company of Name Droppers would you Otto?  ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Gerry Webster

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 10:35:21 AM »
Did not see it in flower in Mid-march 1961 , when Sir Frederick and Lady Stern invited me for lunch at 'Highdown', but was thrilled to find a clump of Iris winogradowii in flower in the garden - the first time I saw this species .
  Lady Stern collected me at the station , i think it was Goring by the Sea , in her Rolls -Royce , and lunch was served by a butler - not your daily routine in Australia - but it was enjoyable ,as was the tour around the garden, nice memories .
Otto - they may not have been there in 1961. Since taking over, Worthing DC has done a lot of planting as well as removing some old & decrepit plants. It's still enjoyable but  the house is now a restaurant with no connection to the garden. Not a butler or a Rolls to be seen.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2009, 11:08:02 PM »
Dear Lesley ,
 it is time that you acknowledge my place in society -
 but no need to worship me  ;D
        Otto.
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2009, 11:14:02 PM »
Dear Lesley ,
        Otto.

;D ;D ;D

Really, Otto .... we are not worthy.....

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 07:52:11 AM »
Dear Lesley ,
        Otto.

;D ;D ;D

Really, Otto .... we are not worthy.....

Don't humour him, Maggi ;D
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2009, 11:46:50 AM »
I've had Hermodactylus tuberosus for over ten years now.
They flowered the first two years and since then it is the first year one of them is flowering. I seem to share this with Lesley: I can't kill them but they don't want to flower either.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2009, 07:44:20 AM »
Yet some friends who grow it have it flower like crazy every year. Maddening.

I had an email today from friend Tim, Otto's neighbour and Tim referred to Otto as a superstar, something to do with a large planting project. No wonder he gets these big ideas about himself. ;D

Just been asking Teddy what naughty thing he's been up to. Reminds me of something from way back, a quotation I think that went "see what little Johnnie's doing and tell him not to do it."
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

arillady

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2009, 10:04:57 AM »
Otto I can only humbly bow to your experience and expertise after seeing your garden back in November.
And Maggie you do make us laugh so much with your apt comic inclusions
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2009, 01:42:00 PM »
Dear Maggi and Pat ,
 all that adulation is getting too much for a shy person , I shall retreat into my shell
again.
    But Lesley, wait for this :David Glenn -here in Victoria - in his latest Bulb List
gives my the title "Prince of small Bulbs"
   no smart comments from you Lesley, please - but I still love you.
      Otto.

Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Hristo

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2009, 03:43:51 PM »
Hi there,
H.tuberosus with I fancy a hint of blue around the black! Will post some pics later of wild forms in Greece.
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2009, 10:59:48 AM »
Being amongst such stellar individuals I hesitate to offer any advice ..... but ..... I too seldom had flowers on my Hermodactylus tuberosus in their pots, until I started feeding them.  Now, if I repot every year while dormant and give them a slow release bulb food, I get flowers every year.  Without the extra food I just get lots of leaves.  So they obviously like a bit of extra food.  Those of you who don't get flowers try give them some extra supper, and they might reward you with some flowers.  I grow them in a very free draining mix in full sun.  I hope that might be of some help.   :D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Hristo

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2009, 11:26:26 AM »
Paul,
Sound advice, in Greece the most floriferous Hermodactylus were growing in sunny woodland margins, I imagine therefoere they get a stable input of nutrients plus good light levels!
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2009, 05:07:45 PM »
Paul,
Sound advice, in Greece the most floriferous Hermodactylus were growing in sunny woodland margins, I imagine therefoere they get a stable input of nutrients plus good light levels!
In Highdown Gardens they are growing in what was originally a large chalk pit, fairly close to one wall. It's pretty hot with good light but I can't imagine the nutrient levels are all that high naturally. I don't know whether they are fed.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

Hristo

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2009, 06:25:18 PM »

In Highdown Gardens they are growing in what was originally a large chalk pit, fairly close to one wall. It's pretty hot with good light but I can't imagine the nutrient levels are all that high naturally. I don't know whether they are fed.
[/quote]

Here in Bulgaria my Hermodayctylus are growing and flowering in lime chippings near my cess pit in full sun, I guess as long as conditions are somewhere near suitable they will flower. In the UK, though they grew well for me in Lincolnshire, I never could flower them, they had the nutrients and were on a south facing wall. The Highdown Garden examples you mention as growing are I assume flowering also? Could it be that they receive nutrients from any run off the chalk pit receives from the surrounding area?

Gerry Webster

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2009, 06:38:55 PM »

Here in Bulgaria my Hermodayctylus are growing and flowering in lime chippings near my cess pit in full sun, I guess as long as conditions are somewhere near suitable they will flower. In the UK, though they grew well for me in Lincolnshire, I never could flower them, they had the nutrients and were on a south facing wall. The Highdown Garden examples you mention as growing are I assume flowering also? Could it be that they receive nutrients from any run off the chalk pit receives from the surrounding area?

Yes, they are flowering; see my pic above (post no 5). I've no idea whether they receive any run off.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal