We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lewisia seedling success  (Read 12952 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Lewisia seedling success
« on: March 22, 2009, 07:45:42 AM »
Howdy All,

Last year I received some seed of Lewisia cotyledon from a lovely gentleman from here on the forums (names won't be mentioned without permission).  Not having grown them much before that I was not expecting wonderful success I must admit I sowed it and have left it to it's own devices.  Imagine my surprise when I discovered this lovely little flower on the seed pot.  I hadn't even realised there were buds, let alone flowers about to open.  Not at all sure what to do now with them, and at what time of year I should take them out into separate pots.  I'm not quite game to mess with them now, in case I stop them being so happy.  ;D

Anyway, a delightful little flower, and a lovely colour.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 05:48:12 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Lewisia cotyledon success
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 08:15:36 AM »
What a treat for you to come upon the flower unexpectedly ...... I love it when it happens that a young plant will surprise you like that.
Sunshine colours too!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 08:17:48 AM »
Maggi,

I sowed about a squillion seeds into each of the two 5 inch black plastic pots, covered with gravel like I would bulb seed, and left them alone.  They germinated well (but not every one of the squillions, which is probably a good thing), have lots of nice rosettes, and this lovely flower with 3 or 4 buds sitting behind it.  Should I try to prick them out during winter into their own pots?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 08:23:44 AM »
Paul, I hesitate to comment  on that since your climate is so different from ours.  I'd wait  for the advice of Michael C. .....he's one ofthe best lewisia growers I know  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 03:22:13 PM »
Hi Paul !
Long time no reed !!  ;D
Before Michael maybe gives us his view, here's what I normally do.

I sow in January (which would be your July I guess) and they'd normally germinate in March/April - I'd the prick them as soon as they have 4 leaves and they grow away happily.
It has occurred though (being caught by lack of time) that some were left in their seed pots and pricked only the next early Spring (being already pretty big by that time)... but even under these circumstances most of them took off really well...

Wonder what Michael's comment will be.

Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 04:34:51 PM »
Paul, Lewisia cotyledon seed are usually sown late winter -early spring and potted on when big enough to handle. As it is Autumn with you now I would them in the seed pot until spring, Then pot them into very well drained compost. Keep them in a cold frame over winter as it is wet and bad drainage that they don't like. If your winters are dry they will be fine outside as they are fully hardy. I have them growing in a scree bed here in one of the highest rainfall area in Europe,but the drainage is excellent.

If you have Lewisia rediviva or any rediviva hybs they are potted in September here(Please adjust you seasons accordingly ) and watered once,then just kept ticking over with little or no water until you see new growth in spring,then apply plenty of water and feed.they are gross feeders. Lewisia Brachycalyx and hybs are potted in October then treated the same as rediviva.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 08:04:30 PM »
So does the L. cotyledon go dormant in winter?  I have barely grown any Lewisia before, which is why I am even more excited.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 08:24:55 PM »
Paul,they are evergreen but keep their foliage an rest for the winter. I have had them flower until Christmas here ,but really depends on your climate. Better to try  and rest them if you can,just withhold water and they will go to sleep. They can tolerate very dry conditions in the winter so if in doubt don't water. Another thing I must mention, If the temperate goes over 30c in the summer don't water,high temperatures and high humidity are lethal,try and keep them shaded and as cool as possible. In your climate they will need as much shade as you can provide in Summer. Don't water in the spring until you see new growth.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 09:43:45 PM »
In general, I'd support all Michael's comments. Don't water them in winter and leave potting separately until the spring as they're not likely to make new roots much from now on. They're pretty tough really but don't like unused water round relatively dormant roots. They should remain nice and green and glossy right through winter.

The shading in high summer is good advice too. My late mother grew superb Lewisia cotyledon under a summer mat of chickweed! This was cleared away in autumn and the spring blooming was always outstanding. You should try them out in the garden with shading in summer after the flowers stop. They like a gravel path to seed into too. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 01:43:12 AM »
Thanks for the advice everyone.  So what sort of feeding should I be giving them?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

maggiepie

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 11:15:19 AM »
Lovely surprise Paul, can you remember when you sowed the seed?
I'd like to have an idea of how long they take from germination to flowering. :)
Helen Poirier , Australia

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 03:23:02 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone.  So what sort of feeding should I be giving them?

Paul,I usually give them one high nitrogen feed when they start to grow in the spring, then resort to tomato feed once a week, or every other week depending on how well they are growing,or when they need watering.
For some reason they don't seem to like crockery pots,but be careful with watering plastic pots,and don't worry, they won't ever die of drought,it is water that kills them.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 03:34:49 AM »
If the seed is sown in spring and the young plants are potted up or planted out summer or early autumn, they should flower in the next spring, i.e. about a year from germination. In my climate anyway. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

maggiepie

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 12:36:03 PM »
If the seed is sown in spring and the young plants are potted up or planted out summer or early autumn, they should flower in the next spring, i.e. about a year from germination. In my climate anyway. :)

Thanks Lesley, I wonder if the seeds are started indoors during winter they might flower in Spring, or do you think they need a dormant period to flower?
As you probably tell, I've never grown any, in fact I'm not sure I have even seen one in reality. :-[
Helen Poirier , Australia

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 02:03:27 PM »
Helen, what Lesley described is the general norm for perennials - blooming in "the second year" (i.e. after one "dormant" period).
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal