We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen for Identification  (Read 6526 times)

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
Re: Cyclamen for Identification
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 11:38:12 AM »
Diane it looks as if it could be a show stopper or topper, when you get it into a 36cm pot ofcourse. ::) ;D
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Mary

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2009, 02:30:48 PM »
hello, I do have some photos on my computer somewhere but cannot access them easily at the moment, I do have a link to edgewood gardens  photo albums and there they have some superb photos of cyclamen coum albissimum "George Bisson" and also cyclamen coum albissimmum "golan heights".  I hope the link below will work.  If not if you enter www.edgewoodgardens.net and search for coum albissimum "George Bisson" you should find it.  They are superb close up photos showing the lack of redness to the flowers and stems.

www.edgewoodgardens.net/Plants_album/The%20Plants%20-%20%20Complete%20Collection/Primulaceae/Cyclamen/Subgen%20Gyrophoebe%20Ser%201/C.%20coum/slides/Cyclamen%20coum%20ssp.%20coum%20f.%20albissimum%20George%20Bisson%200001.html

I found the orginal seedling entirely by chance in a group of coum seedlings growing outside that were grown from seed collected from my own plants.  I can remember the day I first saw it, for some reason I began to search through the flowering seedlings looking for an all white one, maybe my eye had seen it but not registered it, as they are so incredibly rare the chances of finding one like this were very slim. 

As for the seedling at the beginning of this thread, ar first glance it doesn't look like cyclamen coum albissimum "GeorgeBisson" nor does it appear similar to cyclamen coum "golan helghts", although it does appear to have plain green leaves, maybe it is a new cyclamen coum albissimum.  It will be interesting to see more photos when it flowers this winter, and it is also exciting to know you have some seedlings coming along :)

I am also curious where Jo obtained her cyclamen coum and whether she named it or it was named when she purchased it.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 02:32:51 PM by Mary »

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2009, 02:43:32 PM »
Hello Mary ,

Is there a chance to get seeds of the true C.coum "George Bisson " ?
I fear when I order this seeds from the C.S. I will get also wrong named plants ...

I grow also C. "Golan Height" but they never make seeds ....

Thank you in advance
Hans
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Mary

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 09:14:42 PM »
Hello Hans,

seeds of George Bisson are slow to obtain, that is true, I find the plant difficult to get to set many seeds.  For the past few years I have had almost no seed set to be able to pass any onto the cyclamen society.  I do know that numerous people in the society have plants that I have given them over the years in the hope that they will pass on seeds when they have them.

Sometimes seedlings just pop up around the greenhouse, usually in very odd places, presumably as a result of ant activity.

I find golan heights can also be temperamental about setting seeds, though much easier that George Bisson, a friend gave me some of his golan heights seeds last summer and the resulting seedlings are beginning to come into flower now.

best wishes,

Mary

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2010, 02:48:16 AM »
Do you guys hand pollinate things to help seedset?  I find with some of the species it is virtually the only way to get seedset here (rohlfsianum, pseudibericum and purpurascens for example).  I have near pure white coums, plus seed down of albissimum from an SRGCer here (has not germinated as yet, so now not expected to germinate until autumn), but haven't seen any real pure whites in person as yet.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2010, 01:49:24 PM »
Hello Hans,

seeds of George Bisson are slow to obtain, that is true, I find the plant difficult to get to set many seeds.  For the past few years I have had almost no seed set to be able to pass any onto the cyclamen society.  I do know that numerous people in the society have plants that I have given them over the years in the hope that they will pass on seeds when they have them.

Sometimes seedlings just pop up around the greenhouse, usually in very odd places, presumably as a result of ant activity.

I find golan heights can also be temperamental about setting seeds, though much easier that George Bisson, a friend gave me some of his golan heights seeds last summer and the resulting seedlings are beginning to come into flower now.

best wishes,

Mary

Hello Mary ,

Thank you for your answer .
OK- I will try it to get in this year some seeds from the C.S. - maybe I have luck to get the true plant

Best wishes
Hans

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2010, 11:23:01 AM »
hello, I do have some photos on my computer somewhere but cannot access them easily at the moment, I do have a link to edgewood gardens  photo albums and there they have some superb photos of cyclamen coum albissimum "George Bisson" and also cyclamen coum albissimmum "golan heights".  I hope the link below will work.  If not if you enter www.edgewoodgardens.net and search for coum albissimum "George Bisson" you should find it.  They are superb close up photos showing the lack of redness to the flowers and stems.

www.edgewoodgardens.net/Plants_album/The%20Plants%20-%20%20Complete%20Collection/Primulaceae/Cyclamen/Subgen%20Gyrophoebe%20Ser%201/C.%20coum/slides/Cyclamen%20coum%20ssp.%20coum%20f.%20albissimum%20George%20Bisson%200001.html

I found the orginal seedling entirely by chance in a group of coum seedlings growing outside that were grown from seed collected from my own plants.  I can remember the day I first saw it, for some reason I began to search through the flowering seedlings looking for an all white one, maybe my eye had seen it but not registered it, as they are so incredibly rare the chances of finding one like this were very slim. 

As for the seedling at the beginning of this thread, ar first glance it doesn't look like cyclamen coum albissimum "GeorgeBisson" nor does it appear similar to cyclamen coum "golan helghts", although it does appear to have plain green leaves, maybe it is a new cyclamen coum albissimum.  It will be interesting to see more photos when it flowers this winter, and it is also exciting to know you have some seedlings coming along :)

I am also curious where Jo obtained her cyclamen coum and whether she named it or it was named when she purchased it.

Hi Mary, I've just picked up on this conversation, sorry for the delay :) 

My 'George Bisson' came from Ashwood nurseries and I bought 3 plants. I have 2 in pots and one planted in a wet woodland situation in the garden.  I will have a look and see if there is a difference between the individuals.

Much of the garden is under snow so it may be a day or two before I have an answer.

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2010, 12:30:44 PM »
Hi again Mary,

All 3 of my George Bisson plants have some red colour in the petioles. Much the same as picture 26 in the link you posted.

Seed exchanges are definately not the place to get 'named' cultivars of Cyclamen. As is demonstrated by this pot of GB seedlings from the Cyclamen Society seed exchange.

Since all Cyclamen are grown from seed and they are all genetically diverse it stands to reason that a cultivar needs to have many generations of controlled back crossing to fix the characteristics wanted.  One open pollination can mess the whole seed yield up.

Basil Smith

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
This thread which I have just seen has everything. Diane kicks it off with a rare new finding - of another C.coum albissimum, only the third (?) so far. Well done. Appropriate development follows as in the first act of a play. Then high drama as a newcomer takes the stage, unexpected; a new voice - authoritative, modest and poignant. Mary, I think Agatha Christie could not haver done it better. Coupled with that a link, a feast of a link, to photographs which are pertinent, forensic in quality and rich in comparative examples. All encompassed with remarkable economy a few posts which are informative and highly entertaining.

This is the Forum at peak performance; absolutely tip-top  - like a Rooney on fire. Participants merit our warmest commendation and thanks; take a bow, folks.

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2010, 02:19:46 PM »

Basil Smith

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2010, 07:48:14 PM »
I was also going to observe that this thread is a fine working example of the dilemma of naming seed strains as though they were cultivars. As I know from my own experience, the dilemma is especially acute with hardy cyclamen, for which the fully-tested generation interval is up to four or five years - unless, that is, one has perfected the use of GA3 and grow-lights. It is not uncommon therefore, even with relatively stable named forms, hand-pollinated, to find a range of outcomes in any batch of seedlings. The problem is all the more exacting where the test is multi-dimensional: size, shape and colour of flower and size, shape and colour of leaf immediately gives 6 characteristics to guard.

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2010, 08:43:41 PM »
This thread which I have just seen has everything. Diane kicks it off with a rare new finding - of another C.coum albissimum, only the third (?) so far. Well done. Appropriate development follows as in the first act of a play. Then high drama as a newcomer takes the stage, unexpected; a new voice - authoritative, modest and poignant. Mary, I think Agatha Christie could not haver done it better. Coupled with that a link, a feast of a link, to photographs which are pertinent, forensic in quality and rich in comparative examples. All encompassed with remarkable economy a few posts which are informative and highly entertaining.

This is the Forum at peak performance; absolutely tip-top  - like a Rooney on fire. Participants merit our warmest commendation and thanks; take a bow, folks.

Welcome to the forum, Basil, and thanks for your interest.  I have posted pictures of my albino coum this year in the Cyclamen 2010 thread, linked here:

http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=4752.msg137733#new

Also another albino coum in the thread, this one from Ashwood.  Plus a couple of good strong colours, both from you, I think Basil.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 10:21:35 PM by Diane Clement »
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Basil Smith

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2010, 08:27:01 PM »
Diane -
Thanks for your cross-reference to the Cyclamen 2010 thread (on the BULBS GENERAL board). Delighted to be re-acquainted with coum Linnett Jewel and coum Meaden's Crimson which left me in the 1990's

Hans -
You may already be aware that the three named forms of coum albissimum are grown by Ashwood Nurseries (www.ashwood-nurseries.co.uk) who mail-order seeds and some plants.  A personal letter to, say, Brian at Ashwoods might be productive; certainly worth a try. You could also phone and ask to speak to Brian direct.

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2010, 08:58:54 PM »
Hans -
.....You could also phone and ask to speak to Brian direct......

Basil :

thank you for your advice !
but I think you are joking with me when you write I should phone  :o
I'm happy when I understand here 30% - but a phonecall is impossibly !
( and I dont know how much the forumists understand from my "english") ???

In meantime I have ordered from Netherland seeds of Cyc. alb. "George Bisson" .....also I have one pot with a plant of it - also I have "Golan Height's" and I hope to get in this year "Lake Effect"
Shure - "Ashwood Snowflake" would also be a nice addition  ;)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal