We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula March 2007  (Read 33146 times)

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
Re: Primula March 2007
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2007, 08:37:56 AM »

I like the leaves on that Primula jesoensis.  Do they flatten out as the leaf grows or do they always have that shape?

I would guess they flatten, but - I've never seen the real species before.  I'll keep you informed of its progress.

Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2007, 10:58:12 AM »
Two primulas flowering in our  gaden today.
The first a nice compact form of Primula marginata called 'Napoleon'.
The second Primula denticulata, that common plant but it is a real beauty if you select a nice form.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2007, 11:55:12 AM »
Referring back to the discussion about flower shapes generated by Tony G's pic of Primula 'Hallowen (Halloween?)Blue', reply 38 on page three: I draw attention to Diane Clements pic of Primula nana alba, earlier on the page, reply 34 and add to the mix, this photo pinched from the Blackpool Show Report, of Primula bracteata
9981-0
All showing the more open petal form...
just for interest!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Pilling

• Computer Guru
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2007, 02:23:35 PM »
It's Primula jesoensis.

If I might be so bold, what is the relation between Primula Jesoensis and Primula Jesoana? and if I obtain any old packet of jesoana seeds will I end up with a nice primula like the one pictured:

http://www.primulaworld.com/PWweb/gallery/jesoana.html

David Pilling at the seaside in North West England.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2007, 02:42:08 PM »
"It's Primula jesoensis."
Oh, says David P. then"
If I might be so bold, what is the relation between Primula Jesoensis and Primula Jesoana? and if I obtain any old packet of jesoana seeds will I end up with a nice primula like the one pictured:

http://www.primulaworld.com/PWweb/gallery/jesoana.html
Oh dear David, we are guilty of some sloppy naming here! Diane's lovely leaved plant is meant to be Primula jesoana, the other is an invalid name as far as I can gather.
As to your obtaining seeds of this beauty if you obtain a packet of primula seeds purporting to be P. jesoana, frankly I expect that the likiliehood is that you will get plants of P. cortusoides or P. polyneura since these two have often been mistaken for jesoana. Only a handful of gardens have the "real deal" in their collections or  seedlists  but there are some new collections coming in, as evidenced by the source of Diane's seed.

Lovley photos on Pam's site, by the way.

johanneshoeller

« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2007, 04:05:50 PM »
Jan, it is time to take cuttings!
Hans
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2007, 06:48:07 PM »

Sorry for silly typo.   :'(

Primula jesoana is correct, as Maggi confirms.  It's a matter of gender agreement.  jesoenis is the species name for a Daphne, a Picea and a Viola and probably others, although sometimes spelled with a "z" as in jezoensis or a  "y" as in yesoensis.  I believe it means from Hokkaido in Japan.

Also, I'm with Maggie on growing from seed.  Sadly, you have little chance of getting the right thing this way.  Crug nursery is the best source of the real plant at the moment, unless anyone knows any other. 

Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2007, 07:49:03 PM »
Here's a picture of my second Auricula to flower in 2007. A very dark Self grown from seed sown in 2005 and flowering for the first time. It seems to have nice form and will give me a couple of offsets come re-potting time.

It is however suffering from the same problem as some of my other Auriculas this year in that it has a very short stem. Although I have only been growing Auriculas for four years this is the first time I have had this problem. Apart from my changing over from growing in clay pots to plastic, and a consequential change to my normal potting mix, my cultivation methods are the same. Maybe it is as a result of the very mild winter with no appreciable amount of frost? Does anyone have any views on the problem please?

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2007, 08:07:23 PM »
Jan, it is time to take cuttings!
Hans, you are quite right! I will tell him this!

it has a very short stem
David, often auricula growers complain of stems that are too long and cannot support the flower head- you have the opposite , eh?  I don't know what could remedy the situation, though there are other auricula men around this forum who might be able to help.... Bob Mackie, for instance, are you reading this, Bob?

Casalima

• Not lost in translation
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2007, 08:11:48 PM »
Such a beautiful deep colour, David!

I confess that I have hankered after auriculas for years, originally and frivolously attracted by the photograph of the "Chloë" auricula in the RHS Encyclopaedia of Plants and Flowers. The "Chloë" doesn't seem to be available any more but there is a "Green Parrot", and as my name means "green shoot" and my surname is Parrott, it seems quite appropriate!

All the Primula on this page are quite wonderful. Congratulations to all growers!

Chloe, Ponte de Lima, North Portugal, zone 9+

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2007, 08:19:19 PM »
I sometimes find that auriculas are very short right at the beginning of their bloom season but not only do the stems lengthen as the days go by but also, the later stems are longer from their beginning.

It can happen with many primulas, as, for instance Ian's P. denticulata above. I bet they don't stay as low as that for very long.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 08:21:44 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2007, 08:28:25 PM »
Ian's P. denticulata above. I bet they don't stay as low as that for very long.
No, indeed, they extend up to at least 40cms as they develop.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2007, 08:30:27 PM »
Such a beautiful deep colour, David!

I confess that I have hankered after auriculas for years, originally and frivolously attracted by the photograph of the "Chloë" auricula in the RHS Encyclopaedia of Plants and Flowers. The "Chloë" doesn't seem to be available any more but there is a "Green Parrot", and as my name means "green shoot" and my surname is Parrott, it seems quite appropriate!

All the Primula on this page are quite wonderful. Congratulations to all growers!

Hi Chloe, your namsake Auricula is still about but getting it is like pulling hen's teeth! If I ever see it available I will get one for you-until then here is a picture instead.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2007, 08:32:01 PM »
I sometimes find that auriculas are very short right at the beginning of their bloom season but not only do the stems lengthen as the days go by but also, the later stems are longer from their beginning.

It can happen with many primulas, as, for instance Ian's P. denticulata above. I bet they don't stay as low as that for very long.

There's still hope then?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2007, 09:17:14 PM »
A few days ago I posted a pictue of a primula called P Hallowen Blue.  Everyone seems to have picked up the name as Halloween Blue but I took a pic of the label and it says Hallowen.  Googling the name does not help .... with either spelling ... so it may not be a recognised cultivar.

There you are Maggi (who asked for clarification)you had me wondering but my habit of snapping the names as well as the plants (too lazy to use a notebook ;)) ensures a straight answer!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 09:54:45 PM by Maggi Young »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal