We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Seller and Swapper beware  (Read 2446 times)

John Forrest

• Blackpool Bird Man
  • Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK
Seller and Swapper beware
« on: March 03, 2007, 04:50:11 PM »
I sold a few Dactylorhiza a while ago on ebay and was contacted by a guy in Germany who bought one and wanted to know if I would exchange some for some Cypripediums. I agreed and duly sent my large packages of Dacs and true to his word he sent me a few Cyps with a promise to send the rest in a month's time. I waited and waited but the second package didn't arrive. I sent an email hoping that everything was ok but no reply. I tried another 2 emails thinking that emails do go astray and the others hadn't arrived. Still no reply. Again, in my ingenuous nature, I thought that perhaps there may be a computer problem and so sent a letter but alas no reply. In my trusting way I thought that possibly there might have been an illness or worse!!! and so I decide to Google his name to see if there was anything revealed. Imagine my surprise when I found on the WWWF site a mention of somebody with the same 'unusual' name had been caught smuggling 83 Goodyera oblongifolia from a national park. Am I now becoming a cynic and losing faith in my fellow man? I have bought and swapped  with fellow forum members who have all been as trustworthy as the day is long but I may be a little more cautious in my dealing in future with others with a less well proven record.
Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
Re: Seller and Swapper beware
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 05:20:54 PM »
very sorry to hear that John

Just this week I have had a really bad experience with someone encountered through ebay (as shown on the Galanthus thread).

Try not to be too disheartened - I have tried to be positive and am telling myself that I have learnt a lesson to check someone out a lot more before doing any kind of business with them.  This is a real shame as this is the first time since I was getting seriously into plants at the age of 14 that I have encountered someone so nasty.

with my best wishes

John

« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 05:31:33 PM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

ellenndan

Re: Seller and Swapper beware
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 07:35:32 PM »
Hi John
 Sorry to hear about your experience. We have just been on the internet and think we have dealt with the person in question. We bought some Cypripedium seedlings and had no trouble with him but now will be a bit more cautious.
Ellen and Dan

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal