We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus March 2007  (Read 53406 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Narcissus March 2007
« Reply #120 on: March 16, 2007, 10:58:58 PM »
I should have said the photos of Brian's seedling is mine and not from Daffnet.
I knew that, it is one of those you posted the other day after you visited Brian.

As some of you will know I got a major telling off off forum but lots of lurkers on Daffnet came out in support
Why, don't the Daffnet folks want their awards publicised and do they not want the growers to get wider recognition?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #121 on: March 17, 2007, 12:25:53 AM »
Paddy, I'm sure your `Jenny' isn't `Jenny.' As Anne says, it should be tallish and much whiter and is very elegant, not rather chunky as your version is. A little bit (though not entirely) like `Dove Wings' and probably around 15" (45cms) in height. Nor is it particularly early.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 12:29:25 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #122 on: March 17, 2007, 12:41:54 AM »
From the RHS daffodil register: Jenny
Fl. 90 mm wide; perianth segments ovate, blunt, slightly mucronate, reflexed, a little twisted and with margins incurved, smooth, overlapping one-third; the inner segments only very slightly mucronate, more strongly twisted; corona cylindrical, lightly ribbed, opening pale yellow (4C or 4D), becoming white, mouth more heavily ribbed and a little flared, loosely frilled, rim crenate and minutely dentate. Scented but unpleasant.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #123 on: March 17, 2007, 01:18:54 AM »
I dared suggest the miniature booklet becomes a "proper" book taking advantage of the digital age
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #124 on: March 17, 2007, 12:22:36 PM »
suggest the miniature booklet becomes a "proper" book taking advantage of the digital age

Nothing too dreadful in that, was there? It is clear that anything published before the current availability of digital photo printing and produced with an eye to canny usage of a group's resources, as I suspect was the case here, will appear less than ideal today. This doesn't stop the booklet being a most valuable resource in itself, merely that now, more could be done.  Perhaps you were less than tactful in your wording, Mark, and so upset the daffodil cart? Folks get very protective over the results of their hard labour, you know, and who can blame 'em?

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #125 on: March 17, 2007, 01:08:26 PM »
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #126 on: March 17, 2007, 02:28:55 PM »
Lesley, Maggi, Anne,

Certainly my plant which I posted as 'Jenny' is decidedly yellow in trumpet while the photographs on daffseek show a clearly whitish trumpet.

The fact that the trumpet, of  my plant, fades from the yellowish colour to a creamy white is not a help in clear identification. At the end of its flowering season my  plant looks quite like the daffseek Jenny.

I think I shall just have to enjoy it as a nice daffodil without a name for the future.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #127 on: March 17, 2007, 02:31:38 PM »
Re my  posting earlier of N. bulbocodium 'Lee Martin' and N. obesus Reply No 117: I would welcome comment on both of these - do they look like the real thing? These are both new in flower for me and I could not comment on their authenticity.

Paddy
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 10:06:47 PM by Maggi Young »

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #128 on: March 17, 2007, 03:45:43 PM »
Paddy your Lee Martin looks more like the obesus I saw at Brian Duncans last weekend. No photo. It was a case of soo many daffs so little time

Here's a wisp of Snipe.

At snowdrop time there is always much discussion about Mitzy and Snipe ie which is which. Mitzy left and Snipe
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #129 on: March 17, 2007, 07:23:50 PM »
Lesley, Maggi, Anne,

Certainly my plant which I posted as 'Jenny' is decidedly yellow in trumpet while the photographs on daffseek show a clearly whitish trumpet.

The fact that the trumpet, of  my plant, fades from the yellowish colour to a creamy white is not a help in clear identification. At the end of its flowering season my  plant looks quite like the daffseek Jenny.

I think I shall just have to enjoy it as a nice daffodil without a name for the future.

Paddy

Paddy and all,

since I started this ball running by asking for an ID for my plant that I had lost the label for (subsequently I found the packet and the packet says the bulbs were Jenny) I have to agree with Paddy in that my plant is also "decidedly yellow in trumpet" and as they age the flowers turn whiter. The average height of mine are 8-10 inches although the odd one may just about reach a foot (sorry about the "old money" measurements but as far as possible I avoid all use of EEC inflicted measurements-I still order things in pounds and ounces too-you are allowed to do these thing as you age, I think!!) I will repeat the pictures I originally posted which were taken about a week ago, and when I am able to bend down without swearing I will take another picture of the ageing flower.

Whilst I'm feeling grouchy I have just been looking at Daffnet (as a way of perhaps learning more about Narcissus) and read through the List joining instructions. I notice that you are given a whole range of Languages to choose from to receive messages in one of which is English (USA), I looked in vain for English (UK). It was ours before you claimed and abused it!!!!! ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 07:29:56 PM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #130 on: March 17, 2007, 11:28:22 PM »
Paddy I would have some doubts about your N. bulbocodium v. obesus. I'm sure there is some variation but in all plants I've seen including my own, the foliage is quite prostrate and snaky while the very large flower is short stemmed and, as the name suggests, very wide or fat. It's possible that if yours was grown from seed there could be another bulbocodium form included in the parentage. Here's mine.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #131 on: March 18, 2007, 12:20:27 PM »
The 'Bulb Exchange' at discussion weekends is a great source of interesting bulbs. Last year I got really lucky and found these two narcissie donated by the same generous person. The donor left a message on the ackage to conact him for more info on Queen of Spain but although I know his name and I think he visits the forum I have not been able to get in touch. I would like to know more and my e-mail is avaiable on the forum.
If they come up in the order I anticipate they are
Queen of Spain (reflexed petals)
Douglas Bank
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #132 on: March 18, 2007, 04:06:34 PM »
Hi Lesley,

I've been scrutinising my Narcissus obesus with a copy of John Blanchard's 'Narcissus' in hand and find the following: the foliage is prostrate on the compost surface. John Blanchard says that 'the leaves are prostrate, or arch over towards the ground after rising only a short way above it.' This amount tallies with N. obesus at any rate. He also notes that the flowers are 'horizontal or ascending' The flower is very definitely upward facing - I actually wondered if they had been grown in congested conditions before I purchased them recently. He describes the corona as being 'slightly incurved at margin', which mine is.

However, the flower stem is certainly taller than he describes, 15 rather than 10cm. He describes the corona as 'deeper yellow than the petals'. I couldn't see any noticable difference in mine.

In conclusion, I see certain of the traits of N. obesus but see other traits which are not associated with this species.

These bulbs were bought only two weeks ago from nurseryman in England. I think he would be quick to admit that these small bulbs or alpines are not his speciality and that he offers them for sale simply to provide choice on his sales list.

From my point of view, I would simply like to know the accuracy or otherwise of his labelling. N. obesus doesn't strike me as a plant to get greatly excited about, nor did it cost a fortune, so my queries are purely in the interest of accuracy.

What do you think?

Re. N. bulbocodium 'Lee Martin': can anyone tell me of the origins of the plant? It has a good big and widely opening corona which is very attractive. Bought from the same nurseryman mentioned above.

Paddy

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #133 on: March 18, 2007, 04:13:28 PM »
David,

Isn't N. 'Queen of Spain' very beautiful!
Lovely long trumpet.

Paddy

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #134 on: March 18, 2007, 04:19:48 PM »
Paddy, re your N. Lee Martin, Lee and his wife grow many fine show plants and their form of Narcissus bulbocdium is one they have won a Farrer Medal with ( maybe more than once) I would say it looks very much like the smaller flowered of the two in your picture. The one with the really huge hoop, bowl-type flower is something other! Really nice and fat, worth bulking up, in my opinion.  The Martin's bulbocodium is a good regular sized, increasing form, not markedly different from the type, as far as I can see. It is just a really great growing show plant!

Re; Queen of Spain,
 see the old forum for lots of chat about this variety. Somewhat confused history and there are those that would say that David's plant was  'Englander'. Another of those plants which has so confused a past that it is nigh impossible to be definitive about it... super little plant though, David. I reckon Q of S to be a bit bigger, but, hey, who am I to say! :P ::)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal