We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Last ones for now  (Read 2648 times)

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
Last ones for now
« on: February 12, 2009, 11:09:37 PM »
I feel like I have had a rash of posting pics on the forum, but these are the last for now, don't worry! They have the same problem that the others have had, which is that I have to take them before I go to work when the light is not at its best (in fact it's never great these days). Nonetheless, here is Fritillaria striata, one bulb I have had for a few years which adds a few flowers to the spike each time but never an offset, and a fuller view of Iris rosenbachiana Tovil Dara which I think is a fantastic form.

Cheers,

Alex

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Last ones for now
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 11:17:42 PM »
I dont grow Frits but know a beauty when I see one
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 11:20:20 PM »
I dont grow Frits but know a beauty when I see one
Well, you got THAT right in one, Mark!
What a stunner!! AND in February!! Wow!
Frit. striata is so lovely..... it may yet make an offset, Alex.... some do take a VERY long time... but while it looks so pretty, what a consolation for you!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 01:25:41 AM »
A wonderful plant of F. striata. I believe it is sweetly scented as well? You can't post too many pictures Alex, so do some more if you have them.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

maggiepie

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 02:54:41 AM »
What a beautiful plant, and such a treat to see, especially at this time of year.
 :) :) :) :)
Helen Poirier , Australia

Gerry Webster

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 09:56:06 AM »
Alex - congratulations on F. striata - it is said to be very difficult to grow.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 10:21:29 AM »
Beautiful Alex.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 12:47:32 PM »
Gerry, I think it is easier than some of those other American frits, recurva etc., although maybe it is just that I happen to have the right conditions for it in my greenhouse (and not for the woodlanders, unfortunately). Of course, it may surprise me by disappearing any time! I really would love some more - I tried JJA seed 2 years running but no germination.

Alex

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 03:00:52 AM »
Gerry, I think it is easier than some of those other American frits, recurva etc.,

I have striata only as seedlings so far (from Frit Group of AGS) but I'm cheered by the thought that it may be easier than recurva because that does very well for me, in pots in the open, no protection at all. It flowered from seed (JJA) in 3 years from germination and has flowered well for the 3 years since.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

kaydale

• Bulb Fanatic
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 05:57:25 AM »
Fantastic photo Alex!!  I'm the same as Lesley Cox, have flowered recurva and eastwoodii but striata is just sitting there sending up single leaflets every year (four years now) but I live in hope . . . .
From the best part of Australia
North West Tasmania

Gerry Webster

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 09:50:33 AM »
Gerry, I think it is easier than some of those other American frits, recurva etc.,

I have striata only as seedlings so far (from Frit Group of AGS) but I'm cheered by the thought that it may be easier than recurva because that does very well for me, in pots in the open, no protection at all. It flowered from seed (JJA) in 3 years from germination and has flowered well for the 3 years since.
My remark on the supposed difficulty of F. striata was based on the comment by Martyn Rix in Rix & Phillips 'The Bulb Book' (p95). I've only seen this plant in the flesh once, grown by that Master Plantsman Alan Edwards - very pretty it was too.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 11:45:14 AM »
Gerry, I think it is easier than some of those other American frits, recurva etc., Alex

I don't think so!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alex

• Oxford, U.K.
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 12:07:02 PM »
Well, it could be down to individual conditions or just this particular clone being vigorous - for an example of the latter point, of the 2 clones of F. liliacea I have (or had), one has gone from one flowering bulb to 3 over the last couple of years, the other has dwindled to nothing and died over the same period.

Alex

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal