We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Achimenes  (Read 2707 times)

Farang9

Achimenes
« on: February 09, 2009, 01:59:32 AM »
Not sure if this is really the right forum,as I am asking about Achimenes scales, rather than seed, but can anyone tell me how long it should take before these scales should show signs of life after "sowing". Temperatures here are high, but pots are kept moist. After 2 weeks, no visible signs of development.
John G in Thailand

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
Re: Achimenes
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 07:00:50 AM »
I'm asking the same question (are your scales from Chiltern Seeds?). Have you had any success yet? If nothing "germinates" we'd better let them know...
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 11:55:25 AM »
By "scales" do you mean the little wormy shaped  tubers? They usually start into growth after about three weeks of moist warmth.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 06:37:31 AM »
No, Chiltern Seeds sell just the scales (reduced leaves) removed from the rhizome (tuber). Admittedly, I've never tried to grow them from these before and should imagine they wouldn't stay viable for very long - we'll see...
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Farang9

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 01:59:44 AM »
I'm asking the same question (are your scales from Chiltern Seeds?). Have you had any success yet? If nothing "germinates" we'd better let them know...

I emailed Chiltern with the same question, and got a reply from the supplier of the scales.  If you give me a private email address I will forwaard it to you.
John G in Thailand

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 03:40:58 PM »
John G..... can you at least reveal to the rest of us what reply was made in answer to your initial question.....????

Farang9

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 01:49:01 AM »
John G..... can you at least reveal to the rest of us what reply was made in answer to your initial question.....????
The whole document contained a lot of info, plus pics of scales in germination, so I thought it was too large a package for general posting.  However, the essence of the reply was:

By the mid of March and the beginning of April all planted scales of all varieties (early, midseason & late season) will germinate, they start to make a small white yellowish thread beneath the soil surface and then when the thread comes out above, it will make 2-3 tiny green leaves(see attached photo).So the time of germination is not well defined for scales; some can germinate much more quickly some much more late,  depending on the genetical traits and the planting condition, but all will sprout by Spring
John G in Thailand

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 10:52:12 AM »
Thank you, John.

Farang9

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 01:50:10 AM »
Has anyone trying to grow these scales had any success, or seen signs of life?  If so, please lett he rest of us know, to encourage us to live in hope! ::)
John G in Thailand

mickeymuc

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 07:36:54 AM »
Hi all,

Here there is still no sign of life in the pots - but I stll have hope and so they stay where they are  ;)
Has anone else seen growth yet ?

Michael
Michael

Dettingen (Erms), southwest Germany
probably zone 7 but warm in summer....

Farang9

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 02:10:41 AM »
Me too - still no sign of life, but fingers remain crossed.
John G in Thailand

Farang9

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 02:39:35 AM »
It is now 5 weeks since sowing.  The problem with gardening in such a fertile, nay fecund climate is that, however sterile the compost may have been to begin (and I make no claims about that) after a few weeks weed seeds drift in, even if they were not there already, and each speck of green yields first, excitement, then disappointment.
John G in Thailand

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal