We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2009  (Read 79902 times)

johngennard

• heaps of hepaticas
Re: Hepatica 2009
« Reply #135 on: March 25, 2009, 11:47:19 AM »
Anne,I don't re-pot every year,perhaps every other year and sometimes every third year.There isn't a fixed regime and the show plants as you call them are single plants that have never been divided.I ought to really but I can't bear to spoil them.
John Gennard in the heart of Leics.

Gunilla

« Reply #136 on: March 25, 2009, 02:50:08 PM »
Katrin
I really like your bicoloured nobilis.

We had -9° in the town this night meaning about -12 where the hepaticas grow. I have never seen any harm to the nobilis ones but my only transsylvanica does not like my winters. I have had these 30mm flowers only once in several years.
Göte

The size of the flowers on my plants is about the same every year but the number of flowers varies from year to year.  The biggest problem here in my part of Sweden is that we often have mild wet periods followed by cold spells without any snow to protect the plants.  The temperature here this morning was - 10C and the first thing I did when I came home from work today was to check on the flowering hepaticas. They look OK, only a little flaccid.
Gunilla   Ekeby in the south of Sweden

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #137 on: March 25, 2009, 04:18:14 PM »
Anne,I don't re-pot every year,perhaps every other year and sometimes every third year.There isn't a fixed regime and the show plants as you call them are single plants that have never been divided.I ought to really but I can't bear to spoil them.
You are obviously doing the right thing!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #138 on: March 26, 2009, 01:18:23 AM »
but my only transsylvanica does not like my winters. I have had these 30mm flowers only once in several years. Most winters it barely survives. It would be interesting to know how it fares in other gardens with a colder climate.
Göte

H. transylvanica does well here, in what I presume is a colder climate than yours, and blooms before H. nobilis.  We don't usually have any lasting snow cover through the winter here, though this year is an exception (the first we've seen in 12 years with almost constant snow cover through most of the yard, and the snowiest since the mid-1950's.) 

Edit: I should add that my plants are quite run-of-the-mill and never produce any 30mm flowers, though.  :)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 01:29:06 AM by Lori Skulski »
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #139 on: March 26, 2009, 08:23:55 PM »
I should add that my plants are quite run-of-the-mill and never produce any 30mm flowers, though.  :)

There's always hope, Lori - maybe one of these days you'll discover a HUGE flower peeping out from the snow when it recedes ..... now that would be a treat for winter's end!

Note: I have moved the discussion on the conservation of plants and the history of hepatica cultivation to its own thread, to leave room here for the flowers.
 New thead is here:      http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=3274.15     
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #140 on: March 26, 2009, 11:30:22 PM »
Oh my goodness, what a plethora of Hepaticas.  Wow!!

John, your Hepatica house is breathtaking, and Michael, some of those doubles and colours you've shown are amazing.  I'll have one of each of them thank you!!  ;) ;D  Absolutely amazing everyone.  Thanks so much for all your fantastic photos.  I've been looking at some of my seedlings coming along at the moment and I am hoping for a few new flowers this coming year...... your pics are inspiring me to try more and more.  But the doubles in particular are amazing (and Yes, I know they don't set seed in most cases) and completely desirable. ::)

Thanks for a wonderful topic to peruse.  Beautiful!!  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
« Reply #141 on: March 27, 2009, 04:32:56 AM »
Hepatica nobilis "Cremar" must be regarded as a true cultivar name, I think. [snip] There are several clones of "Cremar" which vary somewhat, all produced by Severin Schlyter in different series.

Doesn't that make 'Cremar' a grex?

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Ewelina Wajgert

• My website
« Reply #142 on: March 27, 2009, 08:54:06 PM »
Some photos from today

1. Hakurin
2. Sakuma 06/2006
3. Murasaki-Toki
Ewelina Wajgert, Cracow, Poland;
http://waja.strefa.pl

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #143 on: March 27, 2009, 08:57:01 PM »
Those are magnificent Ewelina, and beautifully photographed 8)
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #144 on: March 27, 2009, 09:01:25 PM »
Three great looking specimen Ewelina !
Sakuma is my favourite !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Ewelina Wajgert

• My website
« Reply #145 on: March 27, 2009, 09:04:15 PM »
I had some luck. We had good weather today. Later began to blow and I have wasted time wanted for silence.

1. Hepatica insularis "Alba"

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #146 on: March 27, 2009, 09:12:10 PM »
Ewelina,

I love them all, but particularly "Sakuma 06/2006".  Wonderful flower form and colour combination.  Beautiful.  :D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Ewelina Wajgert

• My website
« Reply #147 on: March 27, 2009, 09:15:46 PM »
Maggi,
This photo is for you.
You can compare with the photo from last year's. This Hepatica is larger with each year.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 12:25:49 PM by Ewelina Wajgert »

Ewelina Wajgert

• My website
« Reply #148 on: March 27, 2009, 09:32:12 PM »
Sakuma is my favourite !

In that case, look at next Sakuma 04/2006

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #149 on: March 27, 2009, 09:50:25 PM »
Love that form to them, but I think I do prefer the colour in the earlier one.  Nice contrast.  It is a beautiful flower shape, that is for sure.  I've never seen anything other than singles in person, so I would imagine they'd be even nicer in real life.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal