We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2009  (Read 79350 times)

Gerry Webster

Re: Hepatica 2009
« Reply #360 on: November 23, 2009, 10:43:48 PM »
A bit more on 'liverwort'. 'Wort' is an Old English term (related to 'root') & meaning a plant which is useful for food or medicine. So 'liverwort' refers to a plant which is useful in relation to the liver. 
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #361 on: November 23, 2009, 10:46:20 PM »
Yes, Gerry, all you say is true, but if I phone you and tell you I've got a terrible problem with  liverwort, your first thought is not that I have an infestation of Hepaticas, is it?  ???
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 10:47:51 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gerry Webster

« Reply #362 on: November 23, 2009, 11:35:09 PM »
Yes, Gerry, all you say is true, but if I phone you and tell you I've got a terrible problem with  liverwort, your first thought is not that I have an infestation of Hepaticas, is it?  ???
No Maggi - I would suppose that you were finding your medicine ineffective.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

Katherine J

• Lurking and learning
    • Flowers from the Alps
« Reply #363 on: December 14, 2009, 08:38:33 AM »
The Hungarian for Hepatica is májvirág = liver flower, and for liverwort: májmoha = liver moss.
Kata Jozsa - Budapest, Hungary
Zone 6

http://gardenonbalcony.blogspot.com

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #364 on: December 14, 2009, 04:18:24 PM »
A bit more on 'liverwort'. 'Wort' is an Old English term (related to 'root') & meaning a plant which is useful for food or medicine. So 'liverwort' refers to a plant which is useful in relation to the liver. 
Quite interesting - 'Wort' seems to habe the same origin as 'Wurz - Wurzel' which means 'root' in German.
The Hungarian for Hepatica is májvirág = liver flower, and for liverwort: májmoha = liver moss.
We call it also 'Lebermoos' - which is liver moss

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Gerry Webster

« Reply #365 on: December 14, 2009, 09:17:26 PM »
Kata & Gerd - your contributions are very interesting. It seems that the common names in a number of European languages where there is  a reference to 'liver' may be translations from mediaeval Latin - i.e.,  the texts of herbals.

Incidentally, Hepatica is (or was) known in the USA as 'liverleaf'.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal