We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Finding a suitable Alpine House  (Read 6543 times)

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
Re: Finding a suitable Alpine House
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2009, 12:36:18 PM »
Check out the www.Two Wests & Elliot site for benches. I used them for many years before moving to Derbyshire.  Alan  

I endorse Alan's recommendation of Two Wests.  That link has gone pear shaped, try this  http://www.twowests.co.uk/
I have two greenhouses full of their aluminium plunge beds/benches plus one outside as a covered frame, and they are excellent quality
I'm trying to find a decent picture to show the staging (what was that about catalogueing pictures  :'(   ::) )
this is as good as I can find
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Martinr

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2009, 01:10:35 PM »
I would also recommend Two Wests, I've always had excellent & rapid service. I've had one of their plunge stagings in use for 6-7 years and it's holding up well and was easy to put together. Here's another picture to help you see the layout.

JohnnyD

• Maxi-minigardenist
  • free at last!
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2009, 02:09:10 PM »
We just put up our first 'alpine house' - i.e. a greenhouse with lots of vents.
We opted for a Rhino (10' x 8') on the grounds that buying a cheaper version with add ons seemed to come to almost the same price.
The glazing is fixed by continuous plastic profiles which provide a very robust fixing indeed and being placed in a spot which is unlikely to get gale force winds it seems to me to be sufficiently 'solid' to withstand almost anything.
Upper and lower plunges were made by our own company, but are probably available at reasonable cost from any competent 'tin-basher' local to you, and to a bespoke design.
I was sure that there would be ample space. WRONG! :o
It is already fairly well filled and there are more plants we would wish to house.
We have also added a fan and are just awaiting the sparky to connect it all up.
On the brighter side, as Cliff the Bookeroo pointed out, in an initial burst of enthusiasm the first thing you do with a new greenhouse is to move EVERYTHING into it - then you start to take out all those that didn't really need it. :P
It is hugely gratifying though to see flowers this early and in good condition - but such a lot to learn. ???
Hope you find what you want,
John

Edit by M: John, your pix were HUGE, have reduced them so  we can see 'em better! 8)
click the pix to enlarge.....

« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 02:54:30 PM by Maggi Young »
John Dower, Frodsham, Cheshire.

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2009, 02:14:07 PM »
I would NOT buy a greenhouse from Two Wests
The first thing that I look for on a web site like this is the delivery charge.
£4.99 except for - and a list of postcodes that cover the whole of the northern part of Scotland. From previous experience I would expect to incur a delivery charge of over £100 for my IV postcode even though I live less than a mile from the main Aberdeen/Inverness road
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Martinr

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2009, 03:23:49 PM »
Alas David, I'm sure Two Wests are not the only company that would turn the costs of delivery into a disincentive to buy. Despite living in the English Midlands these days I still tend to note the number of mail order companies who have the blanket Highlands & Islands caveat. When my brother and his family lived on Islay some of the delivery charges were eye watering in the extreme. They still make good staging though, and to the size you want.

gervandenbeuken

• grower of choice cushion plants
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2009, 03:36:12 PM »
My alpine house is a selfmade one and build with stainless steel and very important, acrylate glass.
Acrylate glass let pass the ultra violet and comparing with glass it gives some additional daylight.
The results are more compact plants and more intensive colour of the flowers.

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2009, 04:06:26 PM »
I would NOT buy a greenhouse from Two Wests.  The first thing that I look for on a web site like this is the delivery charge.  £4.99 except for - and a list of postcodes that cover the whole of the northern part of Scotland.

I think we were recommending Two Wests for staging, not for buying a greenhouse.  Yes, delivery charges do vary enormously between companies, as well as where you live. 
I bought my most recent greenhouse (an Elite Belmont) from  www.greenhousesdirect.co.uk  as they have lots of choice (including Johnny D's extra strong Rhino).  Reading all the postings, we all have different needs - and pockets - and time - shop around and make your choices (but do take a look at Two Wests for staging). 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 04:09:14 PM by Diane Clement »
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2009, 11:48:28 PM »
I think the main difference between a greenhouse and an alpine house is that the former is usually positioned East - West, whereas the latter North - South.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2009, 01:01:10 AM »
Ger do you mean acrylic glass?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Martinr

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2009, 08:58:10 AM »
"I think the main difference between a greenhouse and an alpine house is that the former is usually positioned East - West, whereas the latter North - South."

Assumimg of course 1) you have enough flat space in the garden in a suitable place which won't get you shot for blocking the view, 2) that flat space you have found is oriented the right way and 3) you built it as an Alpine house in the first place! Just personal experience

........plus two questions. 1) how do I do the clever thing of putting a quote from a previous post in a little blue box?...............and how do I attach an emoticon to the end of the message, I use dto be able to do this but now seem totally incapable!

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2009, 09:03:51 AM »
".plus two questions. 1) how do I do the clever thing of putting a quote from a previous post in a little blue box
Inserting a quote is done by clicking "quote" on the post you wish to quote. You can then delete any part within the quote. The quote is inserted where you have left the curser.

"and how do I attach an emoticon to the end of the message, I use dto be able to do this but now seem totally incapable!
Adding an emoticon is as simple as clicking the desired yellow face above the text window, or if Maggi has used one of her many exotic pets (emoticons), highlight, copy and paste.

Martinr

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2009, 09:06:15 AM »
Thanks Anthony, put it down to early Sunday morning and an engineer's tendency to never read the instructions ???

gervandenbeuken

• grower of choice cushion plants
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2009, 11:01:00 AM »
Yes mark, it's acrylic glass.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2009, 12:33:05 PM »
I thought acrylic was plastic, not glass?

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2009, 01:17:29 PM »
I thought acrylic was plastic, not glass?
I believe that the words used are a shorthand for acrylic glazing material.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 01:46:22 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal