We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus February 2009  (Read 94921 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Galanthus February 2009
« Reply #525 on: March 01, 2009, 01:55:38 AM »
Paddy - Another plant at Primrose Hill was this stunning variegated Prunus laurocerasus. Do you know if it is a variety in commerce?  I forgot to ask Robin Hall about it.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #526 on: March 01, 2009, 10:27:32 AM »
John, As you would look to "Dirr", I have had a look through "Hilliers" and find the following: "Prunus laurocerasus 'Castlewellan' syn 'Marbled White' :A slow growing dense bush eventually of large size. Leaves green and grey-green, marbled throughout with white. Originally grown as 'Variegata'. From c 1811. Award of Merit 1986"

Castlewellan is a garden in Northern Ireland. My own comment: while it might catch the eye, I could not abide it in my own garden.

Paddy
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 02:02:50 PM by Paddy Tobin »
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #527 on: March 01, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »
John, As you would look to "Dirr", I have had a look through "Hilliers" and find the following: "Prunus laurocerasus 'Castlewellan' syn 'Marbled White' :A slow growing dense bush eventually of large size. Leaves green and grey-green, marbled throughout with white. Originally grown as 'Varietata'. From c 1811. Award of Merit 1986"

Castlewellan is a garden in Northern Ireland. My own comment: while it might catch the eye, I could not abide it in my own garden.

Paddy

Paddy - Afraid I am still using the 1973 Hilliers'.  He describes 'Variegata' as "a rather curious yet conspicuous plant".  It certainly brightened a dark corner at Primrose Hill. 

Dirr says  - 'Castewellan' - see 'Marbled White' but there is no reference for 'Marbled White' other than under 'Marbled Dragon', of which he says "Marbled White may not be the same plant".

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #528 on: March 05, 2009, 07:52:20 PM »

Unless you are replying to a post specific to this thread.......Before you post : Please note there is a new Galanthus page for March 2009!    Thank you! M
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal