We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Highland greenhouse  (Read 4362 times)

Craig

Re: Highland greenhouse
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 07:15:31 PM »
W ;D W!
Inspiring stuff!
Thank's Michael.
in London, presently studying at Kew

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2009, 10:04:08 PM »

Lesley, i think that your lowland conditions must a bit different than mine. I wonder if you grow your R. cortusifolius in full sun or half shade.
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=2886.60

In as much shade as possible Michael. Actually, in both sun and shade but the shadier ones are bigger and lusher than the sunny ones.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 12:14:17 AM »
Yes, I did successfully bloom M.  caesia for several years.... No longer grow it however...
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 07:00:30 AM »
Michael,

Your dripping wall is very inspiring - so much so that I am now attempting to emulate it! Whether I will be able to achieve true "highland" status in my lowland habitat (where temperatures can, on occasion, soar to +40'C!) is something we will have to see.

Although I don't grow many pleurothallids, I do grow slipper orchids which do not really appreciate my warm temperate climate very much - perhaps a wet wall will be the best thing for them.

Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Michael

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 12:19:18 PM »
In as much shade as possible Michael. Actually, in both sun and shade but the shadier ones are bigger and lusher than the sunny ones.

Yes Lesley, you do the right thing as these Ranunculus grow undercover by the trees of the laurel forest. They like light and water, so they are easily spoted along the watercourses.

Yes, I did successfully bloom M.  caesia for several years.... No longer grow it however...

Carlo i think mine is about to bloom! I think i see something swelling on the base of the ramicauls!
Btw, sometimes i have fungus problems, besides the good aeration. What do you recomend? Any good fungicide?

Michael,

Your dripping wall is very inspiring - so much so that I am now attempting to emulate it! Whether I will be able to achieve true "highland" status in my lowland habitat (where temperatures can, on occasion, soar to +40'C!) is something we will have to see.
Although I don't grow many pleurothallids, I do grow slipper orchids which do not really appreciate my warm temperate climate very much - perhaps a wet wall will be the best thing for them.

Rogan, if you keep the water moving or falling, you will lower the temperature of the surrounding area. Its the same effect when we get close to a waterfall, we feel fresh, because as the water evaporates, it takes a part of heat energy, lowering the temperature. A spray is a good choice! :D

Please let me know how things go when you buid your living wall!
"F" for Fritillaria, that's good enough to me ;)
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal